Ebay and auction watch: let us know if you see something

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it

Boon 51

Veteran
When weighing up an old bike, think about what sort of quality league the frame is in and what sort of component level you would expect to have been fitted when it was new. People rarely saved up to buy high quality frames then fitted cheap mechanicals.
It's very common for people to buy a nice vintage bike just for the mechanicals, take these off, then either resell the bare frame by itself or fit the frame with cheaper bits they had lying around before resale.
When I see a bike that has poor condition mechanicals, or lower budget mechanicals have been fitted in place of more expensive ones, then I assess the value of the bike to be the value of whatever quality the frame itself is and not a lot more than that. Two of my 531's were acquired on the basis I paid what I thought just the frame was realistically worth and any mechanicals that turned out to be in useable condition was a bonus.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Don-Farrell-Vintage-Road-Bike-circa-1973-Refurbished-22-56cm-Superb/353362694584

This is the bike. I think its the right price with OE equipment but not with Tiagra, What do you or others think.

Gunk

Guru
A high quality made to order bike could be fitted with any components the owner wanted so there would be no oe spec

Any vintage bike for sale is unlikely to be 100% original, whatever that means, lots of frames have been repainted and had a colour change, groupsets and wheels have been swapped. My view is really who cares, cycling is a personal thing, and it’s what works for you, I’ve owned very original vintage bikes and they don’t always ride that well, the gearing is limited and they’re heavy, a subtly updated bike is often much better to ride.

I sold an updated, custom built Ribble 653 recently, completely non-original, with a carbon fork and modern brifters, I had a lovely email from the new owner saying how great it was to ride.

44379C01-89CD-4825-8925-0C3C440CBFD3.jpeg

Boon 51

Veteran
Any vintage bike for sale is unlikely to be 100% original, whatever that means, lots of frames have been repainted and had a colour change, groupsets and wheels have been swapped. My view is really who cares, cycling is a personal thing, and it’s what works for you, I’ve owned very original vintage bikes and they don’t always ride that well, the gearing is limited and they’re heavy, a subtly updated bike is often much better to ride.

I sold an updated, custom built Ribble 653 recently, completely non-original, with a carbon fork and modern brifters, I had a lovely email from the new owner saying how great it was to ride.

View attachment 570370

That's nice.

Boon 51

Veteran
Broke my heart to sell it, one of the nicest builds I did last year, it was just too big for me, if I can find a smaller 653 frame I’ll build up another to keep, I’ve already got some of the bits ready.

I have been off air for 18 months or so for personal stuff so just getting back into it. But I did a few bikes up then and wished I had kept the 1980 Raleigh 501 and the 1976 Peugeot 531..

Top Bottom