Ebay and auction watch: let us know if you see something

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

carpenter

Über Member
Well Ive collected the Geoffrey Butler and the gamble seems to have paid off!!!
Campagnolo large flanged hubs front and rear with Mavic rims Campagnolo chain set and crank very light and hopefully should clean up ok.
Seat has been removed
Aluminium, worm is quite prolific on brakes but will replace these as well as the levers.
Original eBay photo for reference.
Cleaned pictures to follow..............!

needs a new thread :cheers:

stalagmike

Enormous member
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/113925020044

Future classic in NOS condition. Got to be worth a go if it's in your area.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I think that will sell easily enough

Will be interesting to see what it makes though. It's nice, but the size is going to rule out everyone except those over 6 ft with long legs, and who aren't frightened of big frames because all they've ever ridden is silly shrunken modern ones. I doubt it would even comfortably fit more than 2 or 3 percent of the population, and the standover height is probably going to be about 35 inches!.

Good morning,

Will be interesting to see what it makes though. It's nice, but the size is going to rule out everyone except those over 6 ft with long legs, and who aren't frightened of big frames because all they've ever ridden is silly shrunken modern ones. I doubt it would even comfortably fit more than 2 or 3 percent of the population, and the standover height is probably going to be about 35 inches!.

I suspect that it will go for quite a lot if two dealers find it and are prepared to hold on to it for a while.

If I needed a bike that size and wanted steel I could easily see myself getting excited and paying something close to £300-£500 for it.

Having said that before writing the cheque I might think 531 main frame tubes only and a 6 speed freewheel aren't I better off with a Specialized Allez (or equivalent)?

Its a lovely blast from the past but coughing up a lot for it once I thought about it, especially as I was quite dismissive of it when it was a current model, only 531 tubes, forks and stays would do me then?

Bye

Ian

If I needed a bike that size and wanted steel I could easily see myself getting excited and paying something close to £300-£500 for it.

Bye

Ian

That is exactly the thought that went through my mind when I briefly came back to cycling a couple or so years ago.

For me, I still had fond and vivid memories of my 531 and similar bikes from the early to mid 1960's, some of them that had been specially built for me, but I also wanted to try some of the new offerings from the likes of Specialized etc. and to be honest all the new ones left me feeling totally cold as they didn't have any character as far as I was concerned, and then I saw a post that Mr. Biggs put up about a Shorter Rochford bike he had recently acquired.
I made contact with Martin and went to see him and more importantly the drop dead gorgeous bike and on riding it I was filled with complete and utter jaw dropping joy as it felt totally alive and so completely full of character and so utterly removed from the soulless feel of the new bikes I had tried............ so I bought it, even if the amount I paid was slightly steep!

But, you know what, to this day I don't regret my decision to do so.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/113925020044

Future classic in NOS condition. Got to be worth a go if it's in your area.
That's a beauty. Shame you'd have to be 7 feet tall to ride it.
Agreed you'd need to be in a minority of the very tall; the same vendor has a 1982 21" Raleigh Competition which is even better looking (difficult, I know, as the 25" is in near-immaculate state), and towards the opposite end of the height spectrum. BIN price of £695, thobut!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mens-Ret...542788?hash=item1a8603c184:g:fzEAAOSwndFdnNxQ

nonowt

Über Member
Do the Raleigh Competition and the Carlton Pro-Am look like they've repainted?

This Raleigh painted in Banana colours looks like a quality frame a Professional maybe? I wonder what the frame number is... Seller has a host of other lovely bikes including an incredible Roberts

The clover lugs in the 4th picture of this Claud look too nice - more like a Roy Thame?

carpenter

Über Member
Do the Raleigh Competition and the Carlton Pro-Am look like they've repainted?

I hadn't thought of that - just been to my shed to look at my "Competition". Mine also has a "W" code at the start of the serial number, like the one on eBay - Worksop build.
My downtube decal has "Craftsman built by Carlton Cycles Worksop England", not the ".....Raleigh Cycles......." shown on the one for sale - although I am not sure that Raleigh would have been consistent on their labelling.
Also the eBay paint does look a little more metallic than mine - but that could just be photograph effect/ageing.

The Competition for sale does look very good though.

Top Bottom