ebay madness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
peanut said:
yes well I can see who might be stupid enough to pay £200 for a no-name rubbish frame :thumbsup:

but then I know you are just trolling so I'll set you to ignore so I don't have to read your drivel anymore :smile:

Hey! ;) I've never annoyed anyone that much here before AFAIK.
I'm only disappointed that I wasn't actually trying and just pointing out though we all use 'gas pipe bikes' gas pipes aren't made from steel anymore.
Though the bikes I suppose could be made from the old steel pipes the plastic ones have replaced.

Anyhow I'm hoping to have the bike shop call and tell me my Pompino is built and ready by the end of the week :tongue:. I'll put up some photos of it. Pity Peanut won't see them.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
from Wiki:-

41xx steel is a family of high-strength low-alloy steels (HSLA), as specified by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE). Alloying elements include chromium and molybdenum, and as a result these materials are often referred to as chromoly steel, or cro-mo, or CRMO. They have an excellent strength to weight ratio, are easily welded and are considerably stronger and harder than standard 1020 steel.
While these grades of steel do contain chromium, it is not in great enough quantities to provide the corrosion resistance found in stainless steel.
Examples of applications for 4130 include structural tubing, bicycle frames, AK-47 receivers, clutch and flywheel components, and roll cages. They are also used in aircraft and therefore 41xx grade structural tubing is sometimes referred to as "aircraft tubing".

the 41xx refers to the grade/type of cromo, Surly use 4130 in their frames. A Surly road or cross frame will range from 4.5 to 5lbs in weight depending on size and style. Their steel forks all seem to be around the 1kg/2.2lbs mark. For example my Crosscheck 60cm frame and forks weigh in at 7lbs. You can probably get F&F weight down to about 5lbs without breaking the bank. But, unless you spend a lot, we're only talking the difference between a 22lb or a 24lb bike here. In my book a 24lb bike is pretty light and the only way I personally want to shave a couple of lbs is via titanium not alu or carbon.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
peanut said:
I'm sure that your post would be of interest if it made any sense ?

If you rewrite it in English with a bit of judicious punctuation I'll attempt to respond to your critism of my opinion.:smile:

Don't bother.
Since you're clearly not interested in any opinion other than your own, I'll leave it.
You, sir, are a fool and an ignoramus.
Good day to you.

Interesting stuff MacB. Surly seem to know how to build frames and are well regarded. Not ridden one but would think your crosscheck is a very nice ride.
Perhaps we should start calling 'gas pipe bikes' as 'aircraft pipe bikes'
I'd agree wholeheartedly on your bike weight thoughts as well. Personally for any weight reduction I'd be better off concentrating on my waist.;)

Back to the OP. I'll still stand by my comments that the seller seems to know his stuff. A browsing through the web site it looks like a singlespeed boutique, decent quality throughout. Wonder if the frame comes from a factory that turns out Surly or Salsa frames and is something like a grey import.

redjedi

Über Member
Rhythm Thief said:
Whatever the frame is, what's the problem? He's described it accurately and he's put a price on it. If the thing is made of cheese and priced at £1 000, who cares, as long as he describes it as such? Anyone buying it can hardly claim to have been conned.

+1

I personally wouldn't buy it, as I know there are cheaper lighter branded frames around.

This thread should really be called "Consumer madness", because as long as people still buy things like this, then they will still be produced and sold.

But a frame made of cheese, now we're talking. I guess it would have to be a hard cheese like parmesan, perhaps with some brie forks to smooth out the ride ;):biggrin:

Tharg2007

Veteran
redjedi said:
But a frame made of cheese, now we're talking. I guess it would have to be a hard cheese like parmesan, perhaps with some brie forks to smooth out the ride :laugh::smile:

yea cos a wensleydale would be useless as the bike would just crumble :smile::biggrin::biggrin:

adscrim

Veteran
redjedi said:
+1

perhaps with some brie forks to smooth out the ride :laugh::smile:

Brie isn't going to cut it in the heat though. I think something like halloumi would be better suited to the forks and stays. The rubbery texture should work wonders on the ride.

Tharg2007

Veteran
halloumi would be perfect for some track ends

jimboalee

Peanut does have ONE valid point.

No one in their right mind would build a TRACK frame with anything less than 531C.

Go to my friends in Coventry and ask for a CrMo frame with Horiz track dropouts and they'll LAUGH.

Sure, there's some shite coming in from the Far East with horiz' for the fixie fanciers, but honestly???

What is on that ebay link is an expensive immitation of the real thing.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Good point - so could you please point us to a fixed wheel frame and fork (with rack / guard eyes and a pump peg), built in 531c for less.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
jimboalee said:
Peanut does have ONE valid point.

No one in their right mind would build a TRACK frame with anything less than 531C.

Go to my friends in Coventry and ask for a CrMo frame with Horiz track dropouts and they'll LAUGH.

Sure, there's some shite coming in from the Far East with horiz' for the fixie fanciers, but honestly???

What is on that ebay link is an expensive immitation of the real thing.

Jim, what's the reasoning behind this, is it weight, comfort, longevity? Are we talking a track frame for use on a track here? Useage is important, if it's a bike for commuting, hauling shopping etc then I think a CroMo frame is fine. I can vouch for my Surly being a comfy and sturdy beast. Mine weighs a ton but that's due to componetry. I like the fact that it can run SS, Fixed, Gears, Hub gears, road hubs, mtb hubs, v/canti or road brakes. Even more importantly it's compatible with all modern componetry rather than needing to source 1" forks, headsets, stems etc.

I think a cromo frame at that price would be ideal if (like me) you had all the other bits of a fixed wheel bike in the shed and just needed a cheap frame to hang them on so you could use it for commuting, or whatever. You're never going to break the Hour Record on it, but that's not what it's designed for.

Top Bottom