Ebay purchase views please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
It depends if it's a flat roof pub or not.
Yeah - I was thinking about how much dodgier it makes it sound - just the word 'pub'. If it was, say, a Sainsbury's car park, it would sound much less iffy...and if it was Waitrose, positively virtuous.

speccy1

I`d have no problem for a buyer coming to my house if I was selling a bike or whatever, I have nothing to hide.

Meeting half way in car parks or whatever??.................NAH, sorry

Lonestar

Veteran
How long have they been on ebay and has the account been hacked?

I (purchased) a 64gb micro SD card for a very cheap price on ebay recently and something didn't seem right...because of the cheapness obviously...Of course I haven't received it months later and dont expect to now.I have a nasty feeling that the account I bought off of may have been hacked.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Several things be here. Firstly, many sales sites suggest meeting away from the home address. Next, a lot of eBay scams involve paying via PayPal, then collecting the item in person, then claiming they didn't receive it. A complaint raised via PayPal sides on the purchaser because the seller cannot prove delivery through mail or courier receipts. The seller here sounds like they are aware of his and are getting cold feet.

My advice is therefore to choose a public space covered by CCTV, meet, and handover cash.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I sold a bike recently on Ebay and was deluged with dodgy messages, much more than the last time. They all went along the theme of: "I want to buy your bike for my son. I will pay you by Paypal and my agent will collect it". They all looked like a standard template with "bike" inserted. When I replied saying their messages looked worryingly like scams and asking the reason why they were interested in this particular bike, what kind of cycling they did, etc, they all went quiet. One bloke though was clear on the reason why he wanted it and what kind of cyclist he was so we met at a motorway services half way between us, he test rode it and the cash changed hands. End of.

[QUOTE 4342792, member: 45"]I don't mind meeting in car parks normally - I bought a kayak last week this way, and once had a very dodgy-looking swap of a trailer at a motorway service station with a Highways Agency bloke watching. The concern here is that he has no address on the transaction (I'm not sure why sometimes you can see an address and sometimes you can't) and he got a bit funny when I said I'd like to go to his address.

Anyway, we swapped a couple of messages in a short space of time last night, then when I said I'd pay the money (via Paypal) once we've agreed a meet he disappeared and I've not heard since. And I gave him the option to back out. Time to back away I think.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't take money via PayPal on a collection. In fact, eBay tell sellers to NOT take PayPal for protection. As seller protection with PayPal requires tracking information.

For what it's worth, I very rarely let people collect from my home. Often from outside my work, which is quite public (though they don't know it's where I work). Or if later on, I'll meet them somewhere. And it will be Cash Only. It is the fairest and safest way. The buyer can inspect and test the goods, the seller can be sure the buyer isn't going to try a PayPal scam.

The danger of meeting in a car park is that you turn up with the cash, the "Seller" turns up with a couple of big mates and you end up with no cash and no bike. It's a known scam with car sales.

Potentially if it's a high value sale, but a very public spot is good too. Car sales are a little different, I'll only buy a vehicle if I can collect, and see the buyer go in and out of the house listed on the V5c.

[QUOTE 4373308, member: 45"]Update: I've heard nothing since I sent the last message on 27th saying I'd pay with Paypal before collecting.[/QUOTE]

I'm not too surprised to be honest. If I had somebody want to do PayPal and then collect, I'd instantly think it was a scam.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I'm not too surprised to be honest. If I had somebody want to do PayPal and then collect, I'd instantly think it was a scam.

Not necessarily - I sold a bike on Ebay stating cash on collection, but the buyer paid instantly by Paypal and collected the next day. No problems at all.

Noru

I pay via paypal and collect most of the time, never had any problems or anyone thinking I'm a scammer.

Though since PayPal and eBay split it does incur double fees one for paypal and one for eBay, but that's the sellers concern & should be reflected in the price.

I prefer PayPal when I'm selling had too many numpties turning up with the wrong change or on rare occasion fake notes.

Top Bottom