Ebay purchase views please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not necessarily - I sold a bike on Ebay stating cash on collection, but the buyer paid instantly by Paypal and collected the next day. No problems at all.

Obviously they won't ALL be scams. You may not try to scam me, but I don't know you, or who you are. So therefore I wouldn't trust you using a method that strips me of all financial protection, doing what is an extremely popular scam.

It's one thing that is quite explicitly said by eBay to NOT do. You have NO seller protection at all. To be eligible for PayPal seller protection you must have tracking numbers. Since collection won't have this, there's nothing stopping them going home with it, claiming no delivery. You will be asked for tracking information since it was a PayPal transaction, and they will get their cash back.

If they're local to me, they can pay me via PayPal and it will be posted tracked, as per the requirements for my protection. Or they can come and collect, and give me Cash.

I prefer PayPal when I'm selling had too many numpties turning up with the wrong change or on rare occasion fake notes.

I prefer cash, in my hand. No chance of it going missing then, if it's a high value item like when I've sold motorcycles, or cars with cash. I've borrowed UV note lamps, or detector pens from friends who work in retail.

Crandoggler

Little bit odd. I think you're being overly cautious. I'd want cash and I'd want collection.

Poor bloke just wants to sell a bike by the sounds of it. I don't really understand the problem. It's like when you go and have a look at a private car sale. You take your pick and take your chance.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Not necessarily - I sold a bike on Ebay stating cash on collection, but the buyer paid instantly by Paypal and collected the next day. No problems at all.

As others have said always be very careful letting people pay with paypal and then collecting the goods themselves as they can then go home and tell paypal they never received the goods and as you will have no electronic POD to show Paypal they will just issue the refund.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Sometimes thing are what they seem, however weird they seem. A few years back, I came across a really awesome FS XC MTB racing frame, new, from Titus, a very small but well-respected US company that wasn't much known in the UK that time. Just what I was looking for at the time. However, it was a super low price, and the seller and his story looked well dodgy. No-one else was bidding. He didn't really sell other bike stuff and didn't know anything about the company or frame. He told me he got it in a Post Office sale of undeliverable & unreturnable goods. I thought to myself, 'yeah, right'. But I did my research (including asking on the old C+ forum), checked with the PO, and even contacted Titus's UK distributor to see if they had had a frame go missing or reports of one stolen. It all checked out. Turns out he the seller was just a guy who spent his time going to police and other public agency auctions and picked up random stuff he thought he might sell for a bit more on ebay. He was happy with a good profit based on what he had paid, not what the thing was worth. I was happy with an awesome frame for a low price. I still have no idea exactly how the frame originally ended up in the UK, but I'm sure insurance got paid out along the way.

But... your situation does seem properly wrong. ;)

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Do what one of my friends does... take a photo of the buyer with the goods and of any vehicle they arrive in. PayPal have accepted that as proof in the past.

I have done that when the buyer was picking up a bulky item via 'man with a van', but without being there themselves. I did not really expect it to work as proof, but it was more a deterrent in case the buyer tried it on.

Top Bottom