Ebay purchase views please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
suggested meeting in a pub car park to exchange
Yeah right I would pull OUT now do not meet

vickster

Legendary Member
^^ this is a good suggestion

Assume you've asked for a receipt if it's a recent purchase? And the serial number to check against stolen bike databases

Profpointy

Legendary Member
someone on ebay seemingly with no address - let this one go would be my advice. Meeting in a mid-point or motorway services is fine as a convenience to both parties - I've bought and sold £1k+ items in this way, but someone who won't meet at home - just doesn't sound quite right. Whilst of course there could be some legitimate reason, but ultimately that's tough on him.

Noru

That depends to be honest, yes it's nice to buy an item from the proper address but the seller could be worried about theft of their property too.

I used to get motorcycle parts delivered to my dads address as there is obviously no motorbike there. As it became apparent with some of my Land Rover owning friends that bought through eBay they suddenly had suspicious characters checking out their vehicles / property at strange times of night.

This is the opposite way round but if they've sold a nice bike the assumption could be they've kept a higher value bike.

Last edited:

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
The police station one sounds a good suggestion. If he is a legitimate seller, he will understand if you explain your concerns. I wouldn't be offended if someone wanted to check that something I was selling on ebay was legit.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Ask for the frame number on the bike. If he asks why, tell him that you want to check to see if it is stolen. An honest seller would see that as a sensible precaution.

I would also want to see proof of his identity (passport/driving license ...) and would photograph it. Get him to give you a receipt outside that police station. I wouldn't have thought that a bike thief would want to identify themselves selling you stolen property next to the cop shop! :laugh:

PS Don't be surprised if an honest vendor with a sense of humour asks for proof of where you got the money from! :okay:

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
What other stuff does the Ebay seller sell?

Firstly, I have never allowed a buyer to come to my home to look at a bike; I've always met therm somewhere mutually convenient.

Secondly, does anybody seriously expect that meeting outside a Police station will somehow make the deal safer? Do they think the Police are sitting staring out of the window wondering what's going on at the street corner? That's the daftest suggestion I've ever seen.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Certainly if his feedback looks ok I'd have no problems. The fact that he wants to meet in a car park doesn't seem to me to necessarily point to dodgy. Bottom line, there's very often no way you can be certain something on ebay isn't stolen; if that fact worries you, you're probably best off not buying on ebay.

MarkF

Guru
Sounds 100% dodgy to me, he doesn't want to meet at his house? Fine, I sometimes don't like that either, my garage has a vintage scooter and motorbike in it, so I meet at my mothers, he will have friends or family locally, or, could have people be "with" him. Let it go.

Or, take somebody with you to the car park, bop him, and take the bike, that'll teach him.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Your a smart boy follow your instinct. .
It looks a bit smelly to me mate..
But try cop shop or anywhere public with lots of cctv petrol station etc

Top Bottom