eBay Raleigh

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pubrunner

Legendary Member

It's okay, but now't special.

A giveaway, is the fact that it has lugs to mount mudguards - the 'top-line' Raleighs didn't have these.

At the end of the day, it depends on the price and the purpose that you might have in mind. I'm sure that it would make a very comfortable touring bike (531 frames usually are) . . . . . . . . but as with any bike, it has to be your size.

Last edited:
OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
It's okay, but now't special.

A giveaway, is the fact that it has lugs to mount mudguards - the 'top-line' Raleighs didn't have these.

At the end of the day, it depends on the price and the purpose that you might have in mind. I'm sure that it would make a very comfortable touring bike (531 frames usually are) . . . . . . . . but as with any bike, it has to be your size.
Useful info. thanks, I will pass on this one.

midlife

Guru
Does it say Royale on the top tube. Afaik that was one of the names of non U.K. Raleigh/ Carlton bikes. Looks a bit like a Corsair ish model.

The royal (no e at the end) was a U.K. Model.

Shaun

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Does it say Royale on the top tube. Afaik that was one of the names of non U.K. Raleigh/ Carlton bikes. Looks a bit like a Corsair ish model.

The royal (no e at the end) was a U.K. Model.

Shaun
I can't quite make out what the top tube has on it....its probably not worth asking at this late stage .

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
[QUOTE 4694433, member: 259"]No way it was French made. I'd have bought it if it was local.[/QUOTE]
I recon that half the sellers here in France have even less of a clue than l do , which means they know next to nothing !

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
[QUOTE 4694461, member: 259"]My best bike bargain was advertised on eBay as "fiets te koop 18 versnellingen" (bike for sale, 18 gears). Further research showed it was a Colnago master X![/QUOTE]
Lucky,lucky, lucky !!

S-Express

pubrunner

Legendary Member
I know this is becoming a habit with me but you guys are the only people l can turn to for advice...so what do you think of this? l must admit that l am tempted even though l know zero about the make, it just appeals to me !http://www.ebay.fr/itm/172536431517?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:blush:T

This ^^^ bike is a far better prospect than the Raleigh and it has some very decent components. The Simplex LJ shifters are about the best downtube shifters there are (imo), and back in the day, they were fitted to the very best racing bikes. They are highly sought after and on their own fetch a very good price : . . . . . . .

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Simplex-S...936181?hash=item282c5c4475:g:JUIAAOSwo4pYdSuO

I can't see a decal for the tubing, but it is almost certainly Columbus tubing of some description; there's no facility for mudguards on this frame and given the fact that the front of the toe clips might have some overlap with the front wheel, the short wheelbase suggests to me that it could have previously been used for timetrials/racing. An interesting bike to my eyes and quite possibly built to meet the buyer's specifications . . . . . . . I like it a lot.

Last edited:
OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Quite classy, nice name with some heritage. Depends what you want really. At the end of the day, it's an old bike fitted with old kit.
Thats it in a nutshell l guess, its a bit like feeling comfortable in that old jacket. Your other half wants you to chuck it and buy something smart....no way!

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
This ^^^ bike is a far better prospect than the Raleigh and it has some very decent components. The Simplex LJ shifters are about the best downtube shifters there are (imo), and back in the day, they were fitted to the very best racing bikes. They are highly sought after and on their own fetch a very good price : . . . . . . .

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Simplex-S...936181?hash=item282c5c4475:g:JUIAAOSwo4pYdSuO

I can't see a decal for the tubing, but it is almost certainly Columbus tubing of some description; there's no facility for mudguards on this frame and given the fact that the front of the toe clips might have some overlap with the front wheel, the short wheelbase suggests to me that it could have previously been used for timetrials/racing. An interesting bike to my eyes and quite possibly built to meet the buyer's specifications . . . . . . . I like it a lot.
Thats just what l needed...a very informative reply and needless to say my appetite is well and truly whetted.I will keep a close eye on it but from what you have written l guess it might fetch top dollar !

Top Bottom