ebay - utterly shameless

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
upload_2017-5-6_13-22-49.png

Right, so this seller is supplying £120 items for £14.50 (or make an offer!) and nothing within ebay's processes is set up to notice and prevent such flagrant fraud. I spotted one like this a couple of weeks ago and rang ebay and they said thanks very much and shortly afterwards the listing disappeared - but not before taking £3000 of people's money with it. (And yes I'm sure there are processes that would enable refunds, but I bet most people write it off rather than spend hours jumping thru' hoops. Meanwhile ebay get their 10%.) When I reported another one a couple of days later, again I was thanked, but this time the listing was still there 24 hours later. This goes on all the time. Ebay must know about it. But why would they put in preventative measures? They get theirs. It's like mobile phone companies effectively colluding with scammers to rip off their customers. It stinks.

And yes, caveat emptor. If you're dumb enough to be taken in by a blatant scam like this then maybe you deserve to be ripped off. But the big companies aren't dumb. They're just utterly cynical.

Here endeth today's rant.

postman

Legendary Member
On returning from Edinburgh last Monday.Mrs P had an e mail from E BAY.They had stopped a number of transactions for eight selfie sticks,Three pairs of mens swimming trunks and one pair of 3d goggles.
All going to an address in Algeria.
Mrs P demanded to know the address ,we were told his name and full address and later on we tracked him down to his Facebook page and his CV on a web site.
Tw==.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Someone else on here recently bought some Campag brifters for £10 ea thinking he'd got a bargain. If it sounds too good to be true it is always applies.

Ebay should be on the ball but how can they check every listing?

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I'm not for a moment suggesting they should. But it wd be very simple coding to set up a system whereby any new listing for set categories of product flags up warning bells if it's listed at, say, less than 75% of the 'current trending at' price (data ebay already have).

Levo-Lon

Guru
I bought a new phone battery..it's being delivered last weds...ahh well..seller says it was posted.....

Milzy

Guru
0 feedback. Why would you buy from 0 feed back as$ clown??

Joffey

Big Dosser
Someone else on here recently bought some Campag brifters for £10 ea thinking he'd got a bargain. If it sounds too good to be true it is always applies.

They were keen to take down my listing for a Paul Smith wallet they thought was fake a few years ago. It wasn't a fake the sods.

classic33

Leg End Member
View attachment 351048

Right, so this seller is supplying £120 items for £14.50 (or make an offer!) and nothing within ebay's processes is set up to notice and prevent such flagrant fraud. I spotted one like this a couple of weeks ago and rang ebay and they said thanks very much and shortly afterwards the listing disappeared - but not before taking £3000 of people's money with it. (And yes I'm sure there are processes that would enable refunds, but I bet most people write it off rather than spend hours jumping thru' hoops. Meanwhile ebay get their 10%.) When I reported another one a couple of days later, again I was thanked, but this time the listing was still there 24 hours later. This goes on all the time. Ebay must know about it. But why would they put in preventative measures? They get theirs. It's like mobile phone companies effectively colluding with scammers to rip off their customers. It stinks.

And yes, caveat emptor. If you're dumb enough to be taken in by a blatant scam like this then maybe you deserve to be ripped off. But the big companies aren't dumb. They're just utterly cynical.

Here endeth today's rant.
They did something,
NL.jpg

Top Bottom