Ebay

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simonali

Guru
Dunno if this has already been posted? Couldn't spot it.

I just left some feedback for a seller on ebay and it seems that sellers are no longer allowed to leave negative or neutral feedback for buyers.

I reckon this is a good move. A lot of sellers now won't leave feedback until the buyer does and then only in a tit for tat fashion i.e. if the buyer's not happy with their purchase they end up with a neg having done nothing but pay for a bit of crap.

red_tom

I think this has been mentioned <rummages>. There you go

http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=8558

Trillian

so when someone comes to collect, looks and goes away again refusing to buy i can't point out that he doesn't follow the rules of ebay?

thats not on.

Maz

Guru
simonali said:
I just left some feedback for a seller on ebay and it seems that sellers are no longer allowed to leave negative or neutral feedback for buyers.
I noticed this recently, too. Seems like a good idea to me.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I don't get ebay, never having bought or sold anything on there but when I have popped in to look at an item it seems that most of the stuff is being sold by retail outlets and has a 'buy-it-now' price. It's often not an auction then?

OP
OP
simonali

simonali

Guru
Trillian said:
so when someone comes to collect, looks and goes away again refusing to buy i can't point out that he doesn't follow the rules of ebay?

thats not on.

I'm guessing there must stil be a non-paying bidder alert thing going on. 3 strikes and out, isn't it?

Maz

Guru
Maybe this is why the guy who I bought stuff off last week bowed to my demands when he tried to fiddle the postage charges and I told him what I expected.
Wasn't the postage made clear in the auction? How did he try to fiddle?

Night Train

Maker of Things
What about stuff that is sent off and the buyer claims that it wasn't delivered and then wants a refund even though, as a seller you know it was sent and delivered and the buyer is just trying to get a freebee?

I have an ongoing dispute at the moment with one for an item sent last November. The post office can't prove it was delivered but the buyer won't actively tell the post office it wasn't so the post office only have my word on it. The post office only needs the buyer to say they never received it and then the compensation will be paid but unless the buyer does this I will lose out though either having to refund the buyer myself or getting neg feedback spoiling my 100% pos.

I always check for neg feedback and then also check the person who left the bad feedback if it seems to be only one or two blots on a clean feedback score.

Just as not all sellers are bad, not all buyers are good either.

Maz

Guru
Night Train said:
What about stuff that is sent off and the buyer claims that it wasn't delivered and then wants a refund even though, as a seller you know it was sent and delivered and the buyer is just trying to get a freebee?
How can you be sure it was delivered? - I'm guessing it was sent recorded, right?

dodgy

On the whole, buying on ebay is safe. I'm not aware of an open rating system for either bricks and mortar or other online stores, unless someone complains about the service on a forum.
Dave.

Mortiroloboy

Trillian said:

thats not on.

Bit of crime reduction advice coming up...

I have dealt with a couple of cases whereby people have been selling large collection only type items, whilst the auction is still underway, potential buyer makes contact, pays a visit, decides the item is unsatisfactory, (cites some piss poor excuse) such as a part that could be replaced for pennies, as a reason not to purchase, but comes back later, when the vendor is out/inbed and takes it anyway.

Make sure your larger collection items are secure, and always record details of vehicles in which potential thieves buyers arrive in, especially if the subsequently fail to buy your item.

Mortiroloboy

Night Train said:

I have an ongoing dispute at the moment with one for an item sent last November. The post office can't prove it was delivered but the buyer won't actively tell the post office it wasn't so the post office only have my word on it. The post office only needs the buyer to say they never received it and then the compensation will be paid but unless the buyer does this I will lose out though either having to refund the buyer myself or getting neg feedback spoiling my 100% pos.

I always check for neg feedback and then also check the person who left the bad feedback if it seems to be only one or two blots on a clean feedback score.

Just as not all sellers are bad, not all buyers are good either.

I had a similar experience a couple of years ago, I sold a mobile, a woman in Crawley with a funny foreign name, indicating she may have arrived from a former Commonwealth country where scams are originated, said her mobile hadn't arrived, I sent it recorded, the PO said it had been delivered, she said it hadn't, I had to sort out the compensation payment from RM after the statutory 21 days, she got her money and my phone, the cheeky bitch kept sending me semi illiterate email accusing me of being a fraudster.:smile:;)!

Night Train

Maker of Things
Maz said:
How can you be sure it was delivered? - I'm guessing it was sent recorded, right?
The hypothetical question would be recorded but the actual case is a seperate issue.

The real case wasn't recorded delivery as it was low value and within the post office compensation level and the post office say that they should have delivered but can't prove they did. They actually need the recipiant to say it wasn't delivered and it will then be two of us challenging the post office and they seem quite happy to compensate on that basis. What stumps me is why the recipiant wont phone or write to the post office to say they never got it.

Mortiroloboy

Night Train said:
The hypothetical question would be recorded but the actual case is a seperate issue.

The real case wasn't recorded delivery as it was low value and within the post office compensation level and the post office say that they should have delivered but can't prove they did. They actually need the recipiant to say it wasn't delivered and it will then be two of us challenging the post office and they seem quite happy to compensate on that basis. What stumps me is why the recipiant wont phone or write to the post office to say they never got it.

Perhaps they can bring themselves to lie to the seller, but are unable to do so to RM?

Top Bottom