1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ebay

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by simonali, 27 May 2008.

1. simonali

simonali Über Member

Dunno if this has already been posted? Couldn't spot it.

I just left some feedback for a seller on ebay and it seems that sellers are no longer allowed to leave negative or neutral feedback for buyers.

I reckon this is a good move. A lot of sellers now won't leave feedback until the buyer does and then only in a tit for tat fashion i.e. if the buyer's not happy with their purchase they end up with a neg having done nothing but pay for a bit of crap.

2. red_tom

red_tom New Member

I think this has been mentioned <rummages>. There you go

http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=8558

3. simonali

simonali Über Member

TVM. :biggrin:

Didn't do a search, just looked to see if it'd been mentioned recently.

4. Trillian

Trillian New Member

so when someone comes to collect, looks and goes away again refusing to buy i can't point out that he doesn't follow the rules of ebay?

thats not on.

5. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

Maybe this is why the guy who I bought stuff off last week bowed to my demands when he tried to fiddle the postage charges and I told him what I expected.

6. Maz

Maz Guru

I noticed this recently, too. Seems like a good idea to me.

7. rich p

rich p ridiculous old lush

I don't get ebay, never having bought or sold anything on there but when I have popped in to look at an item it seems that most of the stuff is being sold by retail outlets and has a 'buy-it-now' price. It's often not an auction then?

8. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

Often it isn't, no. But it can still be handily cheaper than going direct to the store.

I've bought stuff from SJS through Ebay before for a buy-it-now price, and when it's arrived the store price tag is on and higher than I paid.

9. simonali

simonali Über Member

I'm guessing there must stil be a non-paying bidder alert thing going on. 3 strikes and out, isn't it?

10. Maz

Maz Guru

Wasn't the postage made clear in the auction? How did he try to fiddle?

11. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

Yeah it was clear. It wasn't a huge amount, but he was still trying to fiddle.

I won two items for screen protectors. One item had two and the other one. Both auctions stated that there was a postage reduction for multiple buys.

When I went to pay it didn't reduce the postage. So I emailed to ask him to change the payment page. He replied and said that the reduction didn't count because the first item had two items in (?).

I replied and told him that it was clear on both pages what the charges should be.

He replied and told me that I should have checked with him before bidding. He offered a 20p discount and said that he wouldn't budge any further.

So I emailed again and said that I was prepared to pay the postage cost that was clear on both pages, and nothing more.

I got another email saying that he had now changed the payment page, and was charging me what was agreed in the first place.

His behaviour will be reflected in my feedback.

12. Night Train

Night Train Guest

What about stuff that is sent off and the buyer claims that it wasn't delivered and then wants a refund even though, as a seller you know it was sent and delivered and the buyer is just trying to get a freebee?

I have an ongoing dispute at the moment with one for an item sent last November. The post office can't prove it was delivered but the buyer won't actively tell the post office it wasn't so the post office only have my word on it. The post office only needs the buyer to say they never received it and then the compensation will be paid but unless the buyer does this I will lose out though either having to refund the buyer myself or getting neg feedback spoiling my 100% pos.

I always check for neg feedback and then also check the person who left the bad feedback if it seems to be only one or two blots on a clean feedback score.

Just as not all sellers are bad, not all buyers are good either.

13. Maz

Maz Guru

How can you be sure it was delivered? - I'm guessing it was sent recorded, right?

14. dodgy

dodgy Veteran

On the whole, buying on ebay is safe. I'm not aware of an open rating system for either bricks and mortar or other online stores, unless someone complains about the service on a forum.
    Dave.

15. Mortiroloboy

Mortiroloboy New Member

Bit of crime reduction advice coming up...

I have dealt with a couple of cases whereby people have been selling large collection only type items, whilst the auction is still underway, potential buyer makes contact, pays a visit, decides the item is unsatisfactory, (cites some piss poor excuse) such as a part that could be replaced for pennies, as a reason not to purchase, but comes back later, when the vendor is out/inbed and takes it anyway.

Make sure your larger collection items are secure, and always record details of vehicles in which potential thieves buyers arrive in, especially if the subsequently fail to buy your item.