Ebike fire starter.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I reckon a few of the regulars on here could restore that....

Drago

Legendary Member

Its a concern for anyone owning anything from a mobile phone upwards. Once LION goes its all but impossible to stop, and evena ti y mobilemphone battery will burn well North of 500°C and thus ignite anything nearby.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Exactly - the device is largely irrelevant, it's the battery and charging process that is the risk, whether it be a phone, e-bike, car, bicycle lights, bedroom buddy or whatever. Some devices will be required to have better protection against fires than others through certification and qualification processes, but ultimately a Li-ion battery makes for a good incendiary once initiated.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Indeed, never leave them unattended. When a lithium battery goes, it's a raging Inferno in seconds as some phone users have discovered...

D

Deleted member 26715

Is this a concern for any ebike users?
Nope

figbat

Slippery scientist
Remember those hoverboard things - they were in the news for catching fire too. The 'news' angle is that they were a new and growing phenomenon. Same goes for e-cigarettes. Burning laptops and phone are boring now, but e-bikes are en vogue.

figbat

Slippery scientist
There are quite a few e-bike-on-fire videos on youtube. I just did a quick search and top of the list was one I'd seen before.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVp_ppkk-sk

I'd have moved the damn thing away from the house first.

At the first sign of smoke, wheel it somewhere safe and walk away. You're not putting it out.

I seem to recall that the Rimac that Hammond crashed was still smouldering the next day, despite having been "put out" by a professional fire service.

Although any battery of this type can be a risk - the risk increases as the size of the battery increases

and ebike batteries are probably the biggest that you are likely to charge indoors at the moment.
Unless you have a battery system connected to power generating stuff like solar panels - in which case you could be charging much larger battery system as soon as it gets windy or sunny

The only problem we have had was with a ecig - used the wrong charger and it blew up - luckily no-one was in the room at the time and the hot stuff landed on a carpet made from man-made stuff that just melted

The biggest thing is to only use the charger designed for the specific battery - and if anything gets damaged then it needs to be fixed by someone who is an expert

But this does remind me to only charge my ebike battery away from flammable stuff!

gzoom

Über Member
We have a 14kWh PowerWall in the kitchen pantry, an EV with a 75kWh pack in the garage, the 250Wh battery in the bike is the least of our lithium ion fire risk worry :smile:.

Top Bottom