Ebike fire starter.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

windy7777

im no expert but id guess every house has big litium batterys in bikes scooters tools etc and you dont hear about to many fires. but be safe just incase

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
In other battery fire news, Gateshead Council is getting cross after a couple of fires in recycling centres, thought to be caused by mobile phone or laptop batteries.

https://www.gateshead.gov.uk/article/17896/Another-recycling-centre-fire-raises-battery-concerns

keithmac

Guru
As others have said, I wouldn't charge ANY battery unattended, be it phone/ drill/ computer/ ebike.

I've never seen a battery fire, all our kit is good quality though.

Wouldn't fancy a cheap knockoff Lithium battery, not worth the risk.

Many years ago my wife used to use those ecigs that look like real cigs and have the electric bit that is rechargeable

They were of several makes and each had its own charger

One day she left one on charge - as usual - and was out in the garden or something

she came back in to find it had exploded
luckily nothing caught fire -partly because the batteries are very small and partly because the carpet was made of some sort of plasticy thing so it just melted
but the shocking thing was the range that the bits had - there were some melted bits several yards across the room
if they had hit something easily flammable she could have had a problem greater than an annoying melted patch on the carpet!

gbb

Legendary Member
Couple street away had a house gutted after a scooter battery went up late last year.
At that point, I stopped leaving the bike unattended on charge (overnight particually). Isn't it stupid how it takes something close to home to force you to do what's obvious anyway.

A German made EV took out a container ship when it spontaneously erupted into fire first taking out other EVs next to it and then the ICE cars nearby. Everything was destroyed, one life was lost and perhaps others have lifetime burns but weren't killed. Large EV like SUVs take battery fires to the next level, taking out whole buildings in China where EV fires are very common. I really think the authorities haven't really thought about the consequences of such fires. I don't park my car on the street but if I did I would be worried if some cheap low cost Chinese EV was parked next to it for the night. I've seen smaller ebike batteries charged in a metal bucket for safety and such a bucket will contain such a fire quite well. I feel ebike batteries should be super safe if you follow the right procedures unlike EVs like cars and SUVs where I really can't think of a procedure to be safe unless you have 30metre square concrete surface in your garden with nothing nearby where you can place it right in the middle.

A Tesla battery has 360 million joules according to a source online and a hand grenade has 276,000 joules.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jul/26/cargo-ship-fire-off-dutch-coast

https://www.newscientist.com/lastwo...e battery of a large,2000kg for a large Tesla.

Dadam

An ICE car catching fire next to your car will also wreck your car and they are between 10x and 80x more likely than an EV fire according to the studies I've seen.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
An ICE car catching fire next to your car will also wreck your car and they are between 10x and 80x more likely according to the studies I've seen.
That happened to my dad's car. He dropped it off for its MOT and got a call from the garage a couple of hours later. Good news, and bad news...
  • Good: The car passed without any work being needed.
  • Bad: An hour later it was destroyed in a fire caused by another car!

Ajax Bay

Guru
That happened to my dad's car [it] passed [its MOT] without any work being needed [but] an hour later it was destroyed in a fire caused by another car!
I shall hazard a guess that it wasn't the other car that caused the fire. The cause was the (unsafe) actions of those in the garage working on ill-fated car/fire source.

Top Bottom