Ebike fire starter.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

albion

Guru
I wonder what percentage of fires are started by batteries with impact damage.
Horrifyingly a few might have been 'one drop and you are dead' cases.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have abandoned that idea for a fireproof bag made out of four layers of fire blanket
And then it overheats and suffers thermal runaway...? :whistle:

the snail

Guru
Every single news report I've seen has stated the fire started with an EV and that is what was reported by a crewman, why do you think it was an ICE vehicle has there been a new finding?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66393507

There was an earlier cargo ship that sank again with a suspected German made EV being the cause.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/cargo-ship-luxury-cars-sinks-atlantic-ocean-portugal/

That's two cargo ships damaged or destroyed by German made EVs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Fremantle_Highway

To be honest, it's hard to take you seriously when you post a youtube video by serpentza, who is an anti-china clickbait merchant, and whose videos have been widely debunked. You should really do some fact-checking before posting this stuff, it's pretty tedious to see.

FishFright

More wheels than sense

To be honest, it's hard to take you seriously when you post a youtube video by serpentza, who is an anti-china clickbait merchant, and whose videos have been widely debunked. You should really do some fact-checking before posting this stuff, it's pretty tedious to s

Serpentza and his mate used to make great videos about living in china but the took a left into loonie street and started making that kind of nonsense .

To be honest, it's hard to take you seriously when you post a youtube video by serpentza, who is an anti-china clickbait merchant, and whose videos have been widely debunked. You should really do some fact-checking before posting this stuff, it's pretty tedious to see.

Surely you realise you can't use a wikipedia page as a source of information, anyone can edit those its not a realistic source of correct information.

The Maritime executive site had this text;

The salvage operation to remove cars and debris from the fire-damaged car carrier Fremantle Highway has been completed. It is thought that as many as 1,000 vehicles may have been removed mostly from the lower decks of the ship and many appeared undamaged while others were burnt and at least one caught fire on the dock.

“We have returned the ship to the owner,” a spokesperson for Boskalis which was leading the salvage operation with Multraship told Dutch media today. The salvage companies reported that the operation went mostly without incident and that they had done as much as possible.

Boskalis acknowledged that at least one car thought to be electric caught fire while it was being removed from the ship. Images appeared on Dutch TV of a Mercedes-Benz, likely an EQE Sedan or EQS (they look the same at a distance) being hoisted off the ship. While it looks fine it is lowered into a steel bin and firefighters can be seen spraying water into the bin and steam rises. They then cover the bin with a tarp to cut off oxygen to the fire – a standard method accepted for fighting battery fires on EVs.

https://maritime-executive.com/arti...on-fire-damaged-car-carrier-fremantle-highway

So according to your logic they never had to lower a Mercedes Benz into steel container and spray water on it and cover to prevent oxygen getting to the fire, in fact this car was actually undamaged as according to you all EV's were recovered without damage.

I wouldn't be surprised if you actually altered the wikipedia page you seem incredibly biased. Serpentza is just one source of information and considering the video I linked to was packed to the brim of EV fires it really doesn't matter whatever his bias, the evidence speaks for itself.

I'm not trying to serve any purpose here except to state the much greater danger of EV's because of the much greater volume of explosive and flammable material. Ebikes of course are more dangerous that phone and laptop batteries but they are considerably safer than EV batteries.

Strangely on that wikipedia page they state the reaction to this incident;

A spokesperson for the International Maritime Organization (IMO) said that, in light of the growing number of fires on cargo ships, IMO will announce new safety standards for those transporting electric vehicles in 2024. The guidelines could include specifications on how fully a battery can be charged.[23] The IMO said that chemicals for extinguishing fires, special fire blankets, equipment such as battery-penetrating jet extinguishers, and bigger gaps left between electric vehicles on ships, could also become mandatory.[23]

Why on earth would they have a reaction to this incident calling for more guidelines and controls on transporting EVs if EV's weren't actually involved in this incident?

Also EV's aren't all put in one place on cargo ships because they are typically much heavier vehicles so they are spread out to create more even weight distribution. That wikipedia page makes it sound like they were all together away from the fire but that isn't going to be the case especially if very heavy Mercedes Benz electric SUVs they have to spread them about where possible, they often have to work out a proper weight distribution. Heaver vehicles to the bottom of the container ship and lighter vehicles to the top. EVs can be many different weights depending on size so while on average heavier I certainly can't imagine all went to the bottom of the cargo ship.

In recent years the rise in popularity of EV's has also resulted in a much greater incident rate of cargo and container ship fires as stated above 'growing number of fires on cargo ships'. There is no mystery here all the facts and evidence are indicating a greater fire rate with EVs. Actually I'll correct that 'a greater number of more dangerous fires that are more difficult to stop' I guess would be more accurate. I'm unsure about ICE vs EV fire incidents in numbers but EV fires are far more dangerous.

Serpentza and his mate used to make great videos about living in china but the took a left into loonie street and started making that kind of nonsense .

Again the video I posted was full of EV fires, train fires, bus fires etc. Unless you are suggesting he started those fires himself that would be the evidence of what he is stating. I'll grant you some of his views I don't agree with and he has an agenda against China but I've used youtube's auto translate feature to watch some foreign language videos with auto-created english subtitles and he is hardly on his own with regard mentioning EV fires in China. I watched a video not from Serpentza but it was about products from Aliexpress, Temu etc containing lead, cadmium, arsenic and other dangerous additives but the test houses were outside of China mainly South Korea that were finding this out and giving recommendations to people not to buy clothes and cosmetics from China. It's good to be sceptical until the evidence is shown but there is good evidence out there.

the snail

Guru

I wouldn't be surprised if you actually altered the wikipedia page you seem incredibly biased. Serpentza is just one source of information and considering the video I linked to was packed to the brim of EV fires it really doesn't matter whatever his bias, the evidence speaks for itself.

Oh grow up. I've got better things to do than edit wiki pages to convince gullible people like you. I watched that serpentza video ages ago. Sure, he shows videos of burning cars, and some of them are actually EVs, but all that proves is that sometimes cars, and EVs catch fire, which is not exactly news. He doesn't provide any evidence to back up his notion that millions of EVs are burning on daily basis, and if he is asked about the statistics that are available, he just says 'everything the CCP says is a lie, so it must be true'. After I watched that video, I spent a bit of time looking at the actual statistics available on EV fires, and it's pretty clear that if anything the risk of fire in an EV is less than that of an ICE vehicle or hybrid (I'd be interested to see what statistics you have to the contrary). I mean, whodah thought it, a device with electricty, water and highly flammable liquids in close proximity turns out to be a fire risk. We had the same knee-jerk nonsense with that Luton airport fire that was caused by an EV, except it was a diesel.
The problems on those ships isn't really EVs, it's the design of the ships with non-compartmentalised car decks.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Again the video I posted was full of EV fires, train fires, bus fires etc. Unless you are suggesting he started those fires himself that would be the evidence of what he is stating. I'll grant you some of his views I don't agree with and he has an agenda against China but I've used youtube's auto translate feature to watch some foreign language videos with auto-created english subtitles and he is hardly on his own with regard mentioning EV fires in China. I watched a video not from Serpentza but it was about products from Aliexpress, Temu etc containing lead, cadmium, arsenic and other dangerous additives but the test houses were outside of China mainly South Korea that were finding this out and giving recommendations to people not to buy clothes and cosmetics from China. It's good to be sceptical until the evidence is shown but there is good evidence out there.

He's very guilty of 'selective editing' to put it politely.

Oh grow up. I've got better things to do than edit wiki pages to convince gullible people like you. I watched that serpentza video ages ago. Sure, he shows videos of burning cars, and some of them are actually EVs, but all that proves is that sometimes cars, and EVs catch fire, which is not exactly news. He doesn't provide any evidence to back up his notion that millions of EVs are burning on daily basis, and if he is asked about the statistics that are available, he just says 'everything the CCP says is a lie, so it must be true'. After I watched that video, I spent a bit of time looking at the actual statistics available on EV fires, and it's pretty clear that if anything the risk of fire in an EV is less than that of an ICE vehicle or hybrid (I'd be interested to see what statistics you have to the contrary). I mean, whodah thought it, a device with electricty, water and highly flammable liquids in close proximity turns out to be a fire risk. We had the same knee-jerk nonsense with that Luton airport fire that was caused by an EV, except it was a diesel.
The problems on those ships isn't really EVs, it's the design of the ships with non-compartmentalised car decks.

Surely you realise you accepted the wiki page at face value and didn't check other sources. It would have been easy lets say for Mercedes Benz to have edited that page to reduce the commercial damage to their reputation. It seems like possibly 2 ships now were massively effected by EV exports from Germany one lost completely and another heavily damaged with one life lost. I don't remember ever reading of such news stories for ICE vehicles in the past although its possible it happened. It's not going to surprise me at all if we get another such news story this year. I'm quite happy to accept the frequency of fires with EV's is less it's more about the danger of the intensity of such fires which is on another level and how they ignite at random times rather than just being driven. These are the greater dangers of EVs. However it seems like this is early days in EV technology and better solutions are on the horizon and ammonia engines could be another great competing ICE technology which might also limit EV numbers and give better solutions to some consumers.

Top Bottom