eBikes...mmm

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Before I start, I am ABSOLUTELY not being elitist or a cycling snob. I have NOTHING against eBikes - my running buddy got one and it has transformed her into a cyclist and has brought her so much pleasure. I love that I get to cycle with her. I'm trying to persuade my parents to get eBikes and I'm planning to get one myself when I'm older and need that extra support.

However...

I'm not thrilled about how the cycling world is going all electric. I see perfectly fit, strong riders buying ebikes and I wonder why? Two of the biggest problems facing our society are a) obesity and b) climate. eBikes don't help with either of those problems and actually make the second problem worse. Why, all of a sudden, are we going electric when the beauty of a bike is that it gets you fit and transports you around with no/minimal environmental damage?

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I have been thinking that very thing myself.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
If ebikes replace journeys which might otherwise be made in a car then the energy usage is going to be much smaller, I doubt there is even much difference between and ebike and an unassisted bicycle. You still need to pedal- I've done a few e-bike miles recently (using the local bikeshare bikes) and the appeal is immediate, really helps smooth out the hills.

I think ebikes could potentially help with a shift towards more cycling journeys made in the UK, although it's not going to be large without addressing infrastructure.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
A. Because they want one. B. Because they can afford one. C. Each to his or her own.

Maybe they want to cycle without being a hot sweaty mess. They want to enjoy a nice. leisurely ride.

We are all different and have different reasons for doing, buying, using different things.

The most important thing is that people are out and about in the fresh air, enjoying themselves instead of being at home doing diddly squat. Any exercise is good exercise however and whatever you use to do it.

vickster

Legendary Member
Legal restricted ones fine...illegal derestricted ones not so much (essentially low powered motorbikes circumventing all licensing and VED rules).

I went to an e-bike demo event on Saturday and got to try a couple on the test track, which ended with a very steep hill. I was surprised how much effort was needed even on full assist and in a low gear to get up said hill (I might have got up it on a normal bike in a low gear, don't know). I have to say on the flat, I didn't like the assistance much at all although I guess you'd get used to it, or turn it right down. And most are super heavy (23kg seems commonplace), even the high cost, lightest are 15kg

I didn't ride it on the track, but Specialized were there with a carbon Di2 Creo gravel bike...that was rather nice but a mere 7k ... but it has opened my eyes to Di2 :whistle:

If my knees get worse or I move somewhere hilly, I could be tempted but I'll stick with self powered bikes for now (as I have 5 :wacko:). I'm also not sure why a keen fit leisure cyclist would have one for recreational rides, commuters, delivery riders it makes more sense but each to their own

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
My sister has an e bike to keep up with her husband. Means they get out together rather ride separately. Depending where someone lives it may mean they can put a decent loop together rather a shorter less satisfying one. Meaning they get out more.

I have stronger opinions on people using a car for short local trips than e bike. Plus an e bike doesn’t obstruct the road when not in use.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
E-assist is really helping to make cargo bikes into practical vehicles for a wider range of users.
I have this as no car :cry: etrike to save my knees :smile:

Did shopping the other day by etrike and trailer carried 83LB worth
and still managed 14mph average with 28mph down hill

I have had an ebike for over 10 years - at that time there were almost unknown.
I got one in the first place because I used to live at the top of a big hill and had just been diagnosed with asthma - which explained a lot.
Basically it allowed me to cycle to and from the shops so, in good weather, most of my shopping could be done by bike

Some time later I moved house to somewhere flatter. I also got a job close to my new house. Using the ebike to get into work made it possible to do so without getting there sweaty - and there was no possibility of having a shower or changing at work so without the assistance I would have had to drive.

Since I retired I have greatly increased the amount that I ride for pleasure. Having the assist available has meant that I ride faster on the flat with less effort - hence I can go to interesting places that are further away with the same effort, or in less time. This means that far more places are in range of a hour's ride outwards.
This means that there is far more incentive to go out, and, in my case, far less worry that I might get stuck somewhere and my asthma makes it difficult to get back - I can always just increase the assist level and get home with little effort.
BTW - it also means that I can get home faster if it starts to rain - which is nice.

and, of course, it makes it possible to actually ride up even steep hills - which is far more pleasant and also increases the enjoyment.

As far as whether it still counts as exercise is concerned - there are a lot of studies that have been conducted - here are a few
https://electrek.co/2021/05/20/the-...s-provide-a-good-workout-and-heres-the-proof/

https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/fitness-and-training/electric-bike-fitness/

just type 'ebike exercise' into your normal search engine and there are loads

As far as climate change is concerned - I have connected a meter to my charger when the battery was pretty much empty (i.e. it had cut out and I had had to ride the last mile or so home with no power:eek:) and it cost 22p to fully charge it - I tend to do that about twice a week - sometimes 5 times in 2 weeks - so very little electric - and all my electric is carbon free anyway (or so my supplier claims -????)

hope this helps

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I used one to commute, so I could ride in civvies and not need a shower when I got there.
It's easily paid for itself in mileage allowance (when I was doing care-at-home) and savings in bus fares or running costs for a car.
It's not had a right lot of use in the last 18 months...
As far as exercise goes, I'd normally get a round trip and then some on a charge - about 20 miles. The day the chain broke, I got 7 miles on a charge. So I was doing about 65% of the work.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I have had an ebike for over 10 years - at that time there were almost unknown.
I got one in the first place because I used to live at the top of a big hill and had just been diagnosed with asthma - which explained a lot.
Basically it allowed me to cycle to and from the shops so, in good weather, most of my shopping could be done by bike

Some time later I moved house to somewhere flatter. I also got a job close to my new house. Using the ebike to get into work made it possible to do so without getting there sweaty - and there was no possibility of having a shower or changing at work so without the assistance I would have had to drive.

Since I retired I have greatly increased the amount that I ride for pleasure. Having the assist available has meant that I ride faster on the flat with less effort - hence I can go to interesting places that are further away with the same effort, or in less time. This means that far more places are in range of a hour's ride outwards.
This means that there is far more incentive to go out, and, in my case, far less worry that I might get stuck somewhere and my asthma makes it difficult to get back - I can always just increase the assist level and get home with little effort.
BTW - it also means that I can get home faster if it starts to rain - which is nice.

and, of course, it makes it possible to actually ride up even steep hills - which is far more pleasant and also increases the enjoyment.

As far as whether it still counts as exercise is concerned - there are a lot of studies that have been conducted - here are a few
https://electrek.co/2021/05/20/the-...s-provide-a-good-workout-and-heres-the-proof/

https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/fitness-and-training/electric-bike-fitness/

just type 'ebike exercise' into your normal search engine and there are loads

As far as climate change is concerned - I have connected a meter to my charger when the battery was pretty much empty (i.e. it had cut out and I had had to ride the last mile or so home with no power:eek:) and it cost 22p to fully charge it - I tend to do that about twice a week - sometimes 5 times in 2 weeks - so very little electric - and all my electric is carbon free anyway (or so my supplier claims -????)

hope this helps

Really interesting thoughts, thank you.

Top Bottom