eBikes...mmm

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
For what reason?

Out of warranty or secondhand purchase.
I bought the bike off Craigslist, it was brand new, unridden and with all the paperwork for less than half price. I was pretty sure the bike was stolen so I paid with paypal and immediately took the serial number to the the local plod to run through the system and also to my local Tern dealer, who I have a good relationship with and he scanned the qr thing to see if anything came up; all was good but I have no warranty.
I rode the bike very hard, mostly as a shuttle between my place in Queens and my ex wife's place in the city but also as a bike train bike commuter. The roads are very rough round here and I think that the extreme vibration destroyed the harness. The battery was fine as far as I could tell when I took it into the shop but died while there for some mysterious reason. As I said, I know the guy from past dealings and trust him more than most so I give him the benefit of the doubt.

I went to work in odd shoes once. I only noticed at lunch when I got changed for swimming. Maybe it was dark when he got dressed.
I've done that, got dressed in the dark then noticed my feet when on the train

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Before I start, I am ABSOLUTELY not being elitist or a cycling snob. I have NOTHING against eBikes - my running buddy got one and it has transformed her into a cyclist and has brought her so much pleasure. I love that I get to cycle with her. I'm trying to persuade my parents to get eBikes and I'm planning to get one myself when I'm older and need that extra support.

However...

I'm not thrilled about how the cycling world is going all electric. I see perfectly fit, strong riders buying ebikes and I wonder why? Two of the biggest problems facing our society are a) obesity and b) climate. eBikes don't help with either of those problems and actually make the second problem worse. Why, all of a sudden, are we going electric when the beauty of a bike is that it gets you fit and transports you around with no/minimal environmental damage?
Laziness in the young, OK for oldies.

Laziness in the young, OK for oldies.
Silly comment
They are fine for anyone who wants one. Younger people use them for commuting so they can get to work with less effort - and hence less sweat - when I was a teacher I considered it rather unprofessional to get all sweaty knowning that I would be getting close to a load of kids all day.
I could have driven - and did when it was raining - but the ebike made it possible to cycle in.
Other reasons - not everyone wants to 'train' - some people just want to get some gentle exercise in the open air and actually get somewhere nice

Just like some people go for a walk - rather than going for a run
The more it encouraging people to get more exercise and get out of the house the better it is for everyone

Silly comment

Precisely👌

Top Bottom