eBikes...mmm

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I have mixed feelings regarding ebikes both for and against....I like seeing older [70 up] people using and enjoying them, doing there shopping/getting a paper then going for a spin around the loch. Then i feel if they had gone through a few months of leg strengthening, grimacing on the hills etc on a non power assisted bike they would be self sufficient ie i'll be 'weaned' and they'll still be sucking at the electric nipple for the rest of their days :laugh: This is the process im on and in a couple of months will have adequate strength. I always wave at the local ebikers on my regular routes and have a suspicion that they envy my leg power only ride and determination to get there ^_^ could be totally wrong of course!
Some of the tourist here chugging around the NC500 in some behemoth of a motorhome and consider they're 'green' because they have a couple of ebikes strapped to the back.....not impressed with that.
In the end i guess i regard powered and unpowered as different species...ones free and the other isnt but will cheerily wave to both ^_^
That’s fairly true some of the ebike riders I’ve met on my commute are envious as they freely admit they couldn’t do what I was doing day in day out. They would be knackered.

gbb

Legendary Member
I have mixed feelings regarding ebikes both for and against....I like seeing older [70 up] people using and enjoying them, doing there shopping/getting a paper then going for a spin around the loch. Then i feel if they had gone through a few months of leg strengthening, grimacing on the hills etc on a non power assisted bike they would be self sufficient ie i'll be 'weaned' and they'll still be sucking at the electric nipple for the rest of their days :laugh: This is the process im on and in a couple of months will have adequate strength. I always wave at the local ebikers on my regular routes and have a suspicion that they envy my leg power only ride and determination to get there ^_^ could be totally wrong of course!
In some cases, you're absolutely right. This mornings ride saw me chugging along on my ebike. I became aware a roadie was coming up behind me but we were approaching an incline, I just carried on. 3/4 mile later that roadie (female) overtook me....
'you made that look too easy ^_^' she cheerily said.
'I'm envious of you, not me :laugh:' I replied.
'Well thankyou' at the compliment.

Only people that fought and won the fight for fitness tend to recognise the work that went in.

The flip side, as you get older, it gets harder, even if you're not harbouring something holding you back.

CXRAndy

Guru
I have mixed feelings regarding ebikes both for and against....I like seeing older [70 up]

The thing is, most folk, dont give a hoot what others think-I dont.

I've ridden road bikes, MTB, shopper, touring bikes. Ive done some big rides over 100miles, tours in the Alps, Tenerife and even a competitive TOC :heat:

Now, I currently ride a super dooper Ebike for fun. Its helping me get back my fitness after a year long break for regular non assist riding. It doesn't mean I wont ride an non assist bike or get back to something like the speed or fitness I had previously.

I wouldn't give a monkey's chuff if I passed or got passed by another non or ebike rider.

All I would say, nice bike or how do whilst passing :okay:

dodgy

I have 4 conventional bikes (2 carbon, one titanium and a steel one), I enjoy the challenge of doing a long hard ride in the hills and coming back absolutely wasted then enjoy a beer or two in the evening. I also have an e-bike (and yes I've been told I'm cheating just once, the rider was joking, but I didn't get a chance to point out that just the day beforeI had ridden 150 miles unassisted to Bala and area then back home again! I was on the ebike instead of using a car, not instead of cycling. The cheats are the ones in the car doing 1 mile journeys for a bag of sugar :laugh:).

Anyway, many people don't enjoy cycling in the way that I do (see bit above about coming home ruined), but if from I am seeing is right, in 20 years there will be a vanishingly small number of cyclists who prefer to go unassisted and get the fitness benefits. I see it as a bit like schoolkids (the so called playstation generation) who have measurably lower fitness levels than the last generation. It's a downward spiral, we'll just get less fit as time goes by. And yeah yeah, I know the well worn trotted out "but you can still get a good workout on an ebike" line, but I'm not convinced most ebikers are riding in such a way.

Ride what you want where you want, just don't derestrict it :okay:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I have 4 conventional bikes (2 carbon, one titanium and a steel one), I enjoy the challenge of doing a long hard ride in the hills and coming back absolutely wasted then enjoy a beer or two in the evening. I also have an e-bike (and yes I've been told I'm cheating just once, the rider was joking, but I didn't get a chance to point out that just the day beforeI had ridden 150 miles unassisted to Bala and area then back home again! I was on the ebike instead of using a car, not instead of cycling. The cheats are the ones in the car doing 1 mile journeys for a bag of sugar :laugh:).

Anyway, many people don't enjoy cycling in the way that I do (see bit above about coming home ruined), but if from I am seeing is right, in 20 years there will be a vanishingly small number of cyclists who prefer to go unassisted and get the fitness benefits. I see it as a bit like schoolkids (the so called playstation generation) who have measurably lower fitness levels than the last generation. It's a downward spiral, we'll just get less fit as time goes by. And yeah yeah, I know the well worn trotted out "but you can still get a good workout on an ebike" line, but I'm not convinced most ebikers are riding in such a way.

Ride what you want where you want, just don't derestrict it :okay:
I wonder if the petrol heads say that to their bretherens of the car world…….enjoy you drive bruv, but dont boost that twin turbo v8 you got, with an aftermarket remap, or dont add that new petrol injector system, or dont add that gas injector switch, yadda yaddda……

if people want to de-restrict, its none of your business

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
if people want to de-restrict, its none of your business
Too right I have an issue as that’s a danger , same as someone flying down a cycle path on a non assisted. A complete wan……..k….r . Have some sense !

jowwy

Too right I have an issue as that’s a danger , same as someone flying down a cycle path on a non assisted. A complete wan……..k….r . Have some sense !
So is boosting cars a danger…….so is running with headphones a danger…..so is riding with headphones a danger…and so on and so on

but as i said, none of mine or anyone elses business

jowwy

It is my business if they're riding at 30mph+ on cycle paths I'm using. It's also against the law *

* this is not a troll - before you start.
So driving 80mph+ on the rides…..or driving uninsured or un mot’d or unlicenced and so and so on

we can go all day making our quips and quotes and it still wont stop it happening, whether we like it or not

and i know what the law is…..i dont need an internet nobody to tell me.

dodgy

So driving 80mph+ on the rides…..or driving uninsured or un mot’d or unlicenced and so and so on

we can go all day making our quips and quotes and it still wont stop it happening, whether we like it or not

and i know what the law is…..i dont need an internet nobody to tell me.
Oh mate, you have problems. Go on, report the nasty man again.

I'm done with you, you're just a big baby. I posted a reasonably well thought out post above, trying to see both sides, but I will hold the line at illegality. As usual you take it all personal.

Blocked now anyway.

Mods, if you sensor my post you can delete my account. I'm serious 🤷‍♂️

jowwy

I'm done with you, you're just a big baby. I posted a reasonably well thought out post above, trying to see both sides, but I will hold the line at illegality. As usual you take it all personal.

Blocked now anyway.

Nothing personal in my post and not acting like a baby either…..just telling you as it is, if you cant accept that, its says more about you than it does about me….

its strange really, your than one moaning and groaning about de-restricted bikes and you call me the baby. And can you list what i took personally??? Both my E bikes are fully legal, so i have no need to take anything personally

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member

Blocked now anyway.

Is that a de-restricted engine sensor? :unsure:

Top Bottom