eBikes...mmm

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
assuming that all ebikers are on EU/UK type legal ebikes
There's a lad at work, who brags that his altered e-bike will touch 50MPH
I've seen him weaving, overtaking traffic, ignoring traffic-lights

Those of us who are serious riders, & abide by the rules of the road/British Cycling/CTC membership (for the insurance), we have told him that we WILL advise the Police to very closely examine his bike, if he has a RTC, that injures someone else (or damages their property)
He's been numerous times by a lot of people that he'll be in 'a world of hurt' if he (& hopefully not, for anyone else involved) has that RTC

That was an electric motorcycle not an e-bike.
I stand corrected, it was from memory
I think it's still on the Tivo box, so I'll have another look when I get home from work, tonight

Mike_P

Guru
With any luck he will mistakenly overtake a police car - one crushed ebike coming up

• Laugh
Reactions: C R
People who say that ebikes are only for the old sick lazy etc etc etc are mistaken in one main thing

cycling is not (in my opinion) a thing you do for fitness

some people, like me, consider cycling a thing to do for transport (i.e. commuting to an office - or in my case school) therefore purely functional.
and - more importantly - for pleasure - gentle exercise in the open air

so I regard it as like walking along a nice path
as opposed to jogging/running
nothing against joggers and runners - but I'd rather go slower and watch the scenery and look at the birds and boats and whatever
and I couldn't get to many interesting places with a motor to give me a small helping hand - or a bigger one if needed - because it increases my average speed and greatly increases my potential range per ride

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
its strange how this topic has suddenly turned into a moanathon from non-ebikers about de-restricted ebikes......get a life and stop moaning about what other's want to ride.

CXRAndy

Guru
However I quite like getting in a sweaty mess as my commute was/is a work out for me.

You can still get in a sweaty mess on an ebike, just turn it off or pedal much harder.

The benefit to them is, you can instantly flatten most hills or pacify a stiff headwind if desired.

Ive been using mine to get a good cardio endurance workout. Its been rather breezy recently, but its not been an issue at all. 70 ebike miles this week with two 1.5hr zone 2 endurance outings

Bearing in mind upto July, I'd only ridden 26 miles outdoors in nearly a year. This month knocking on 300 miles with an ebike. So its got me back out riding.

vickster

Legendary Member
Why weren’t you riding before?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
There's a lad at work, who brags that his altered e-bike will touch 50MPH
I've seen him weaving, overtaking traffic, ignoring traffic-lights

Those of us who are serious riders, & abide by the rules of the road/British Cycling/CTC membership (for the insurance), we have told him that we WILL advise the Police to very closely examine his bike, if he has a RTC, that injures someone else (or damages their property)
He's been numerous times by a lot of people that he'll be in 'a world of hurt' if he (& hopefully not, for anyone else involved) has that RTC

I stand corrected, it was from memory
I think it's still on the Tivo box, so I'll have another look when I get home from work, tonight

So the lad has an e moped that needs tax, insurance, MOT (after 3 years), registering, plates etc…

Reactions: C R

Chief Broom

Veteran
I have mixed feelings regarding ebikes both for and against....I like seeing older [70 up] people using and enjoying them, doing there shopping/getting a paper then going for a spin around the loch. Then i feel if they had gone through a few months of leg strengthening, grimacing on the hills etc on a non power assisted bike they would be self sufficient ie i'll be 'weaned' and they'll still be sucking at the electric nipple for the rest of their days :laugh: This is the process im on and in a couple of months will have adequate strength. I always wave at the local ebikers on my regular routes and have a suspicion that they envy my leg power only ride and determination to get there ^_^ could be totally wrong of course!
Some of the tourist here chugging around the NC500 in some behemoth of a motorhome and consider they're 'green' because they have a couple of ebikes strapped to the back.....not impressed with that.
In the end i guess i regard powered and unpowered as different species...ones free and the other isnt but will cheerily wave to both ^_^

I have mixed feelings regarding ebikes both for and against....I like seeing older [70 up] people using and enjoying them, doing there shopping/getting a paper then going for a spin around the loch. Then i feel if they had gone through a few months of leg strengthening, grimacing on the hills etc on a non power assisted bike they would be self sufficient ie i'll be 'weaned' and they'll still be sucking at the electric nipple for the rest of their days

These are somewhat my thoughts - although in my case the lack of any electric bike which 'fits' me had more to do with my not getting one, than anything else.
However, although I'm really enjoying building up the length and duration of my rides, I live in the flatlands and I have to be honest about the strength that I can realistically expect from one normal leg and one with very damaged joints. If I am happy to never ride up a hill that is anything more than a slight slope, I'll never go electric - but if I do want to ride a few hills, even mild ones, it'll have to be with assistance ... One effective leg only, won't even take me over the up side of a hump-backed bridge!

I'll give it until next spring or summer before I make a final decision, but having found a nice bike which fits me, there's a definite possibility that a front wheel conversion kit is in the offing.

Top Bottom