eBikes...mmm

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kajjal

Guru
EBikes or Enid’s as my spell checker calls them are very useful for alot of people. I was off road on my mountain bike going fast and noticed some one aged about 70 behind me. Ten minutes later they were still there :huh: , turns out he had a EBike mountain bike and was really enjoying mountain biking as part of his retirement :okay:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Go on then, buy one 🤷‍♂️:okay:

Not out of the question at some point.
i bought a 2nd E bike to keep my first one company in the man cave, they get lonely on their own lol :whistle:

gbb

Legendary Member
There must be lots of odd people out there....or very few (maybe non) here.
I never ever had anyone say anything negative about ebikes, from other cyclists or drivers, or anyone at all.
It's the same with drivers vs cyclists, yeah I've had 'interactions' but nothing other than isolated incidents.

Just ride on, be happy, stop worrying about what others may (or probably dont IME) think.

Even if someone ever did say something negative...I think my reply would be...'who gives a fig ?'

I did have someone pass me and say I was cheating a few days ago

although as he was laughing and smiling at the time I don;t count it as hating - just joking
Have to give the 2 of them credit - they were on normal mountain bikes and pulled ahead of me consistently in spite of me doing 15-17 mph
(for anyone interested - I was in minimum assist as usual - normally if someone passes me I have to drop to zero assist or I tend to end up catching them back up again at that speed!)

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
When I first started ebiking about 10 years ago negative comments were fairly common.

Despite several false dawns in that time, it does appear ebikes have finally joined the mainstream, which has helped their overall acceptance from the minority who don't like them.

I can't recall the last time I had a snidey remark.

Quite the reverse, I've been on a few forum and group rides where my ability to plod on into a headwind has been appreciated by those were able to take shelter behind.

Mike_P

Guru
Once past 15.5 it's down to pedal power which with a heavy rucksack is sometimes not that attractive so the weird application of the brakes to keep the speed at assist levels. One thing that really does catch me out is trying to judge the right gear/ assist level coming off a decent onto a upgrade and the moment comes where speed is dropping but the motor has not kicked in meanwhile legs are spinning aimlessly.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
doesnt work the best
Why not? I thought I could leave it plugged in so it would never go flat.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Why not? I thought I could leave it plugged in so it would never go flat.
its not about it going flat, its about how the assist cuts in and out and of you got a smart turbo ( like i have) and using zwift ( like i do) it screws up the power readings........

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Once past 15.5 it's down to pedal power which with a heavy rucksack is sometimes not that attractive so the weird application of the brakes to keep the speed at assist levels. One thing that really does catch me out is trying to judge the right gear/ assist level coming off a decent onto a upgrade and the moment comes where speed is dropping but the motor has not kicked in meanwhile legs are spinning aimlessly.

What bike is it?

Something with a more sophisticated control system, having speed, cadence, and torque sensors, will not do that.

On such a bike the motor will cut in seamlessly as soon as the speed drops below the cut off.

Although same as a push bike, it's still possible to be caught in the wrong gear when the gradient changes.

Mike_P

Guru
What bike is it?

Something with a more sophisticated control system, having speed, cadence, and torque sensors, will not do that.

On such a bike the motor will cut in seamlessly as soon as the speed drops below the cut off.

Although same as a push bike, it's still possible to be caught in the wrong gear when the gradient changes.
It's a Giant so it's probably just rider error and feeling the need the pedal due to the riding gradient having free wheeled down a steep hill.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
It's a Giant so it's probably just rider error and feeling the need the pedal due to the riding gradient having free wheeled down a steep hill.

Which Giant?

The crank drive ones have a sophisticated control system which ought to behave better than you describe.

The hub motor ones are less sophisticated and could give the symptoms you describe.

Top Bottom