eBikes...mmm

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Crank driven. I'll try not peddling so soon off the decent and let the motor kick in when it wants next time.

Giant use an own brand version of the Yamaha crank drive and control system, which is pretty good, although it's known not to be quite so smooth in power delivery as the Bosch.

Maybe a change of technique is required.

It would be interesting to see if you got on any better with a Bosch bike.

Hardly worth a test for the sake of it, but I would suggest you try one when you are thinking of changing.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
its not about it going flat, its about how the assist cuts in and out and of you got a smart turbo ( like i have) and using zwift ( like i do) it screws up the power readings........

If you are going to cheat on Zwift, you might as well put your weight in as 45kg, and a 5ft woman.

Only kidding, lots of cheat's on Zwift, so just ride and suffer normally on a normal bike, as stuff everyone else. :okay: It's only good for monitoring your own progress.

Reactions: C R

carpiste

Guru
Before I start, I am ABSOLUTELY not being elitist or a cycling snob. I have NOTHING against eBikes - my running buddy got one and it has transformed her into a cyclist and has brought her so much pleasure. I love that I get to cycle with her. I'm trying to persuade my parents to get eBikes and I'm planning to get one myself when I'm older and need that extra support.
However...
I'm not thrilled about how the cycling world is going all electric. I see perfectly fit, strong riders buying ebikes and I wonder why? Two of the biggest problems facing our society are a) obesity and b) climate. eBikes don't help with either of those problems and actually make the second problem worse. Why, all of a sudden, are we going electric when the beauty of a bike is that it gets you fit and transports you around with no/minimal environmental damage?

I look perfectly healthy and fit. I suffer with a blood clot in the left leg which I have to put up with, can`t walk 200 metres but can cycle 30-40 miles with relative ease.... but only with assistance from my electric bike.
You say that e-bikes don`t help with obesity? Well I can assure you they do! I have lost well over 2 stones and after being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes I am well on the way to reversing it! Because I am on the bike I no longer do short journeys, that I had to do, in the car!
It appears to me that you do have something against e-bikes, that you are being elitist and that comes across from your comments.
I once knew a woman who used to say" I don`t mean to be rude but..." and then have a pop at certain minorities. She was reported and reprimanded because she was not just being rude but downright nasty!
Now I`m not saying you are as bad as that person but you should consider that not everyone is so obviously disabled!

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I look perfectly healthy and fit. I suffer with a blood clot in the left leg which I have to put up with, can`t walk 200 metres but can cycle 30-40 miles with relative ease.... but only with assistance from my electric bike.
You say that e-bikes don`t help with obesity? Well I can assure you they do! I have lost well over 2 stones and after being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes I am well on the way to reversing it! Because I am on the bike I no longer do short journeys, that I had to do, in the car!
It appears to me that you do have something against e-bikes, that you are being elitist and that comes across from your comments.
I once knew a woman who used to say" I don`t mean to be rude but..." and then have a pop at certain minorities. She was reported and reprimanded because she was not just being rude but downright nasty!
Now I`m not saying you are as bad as that person but you should consider that not everyone is so obviously disabled!
Thanks for the feedback. I'm really glad you're enjoying your eBike.

assuming that all ebikers are on EU/UK type legal ebikes

then every person out on an ebike is s person pedalling on a 2 wheel machine of fairly small assistance
out in the fresh air getting a level of exercise

I go back to a bloke who called me a cheat a few years ago - as I was at my 10 mile turning point and he was loading his MTB onto his 2 litre Mondeo
exactly who was cheating mate with your 2 litre emiisions on your way home!!!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Was it the same one that broke Simon Cowell's back last year when he did the same ? Crazy powerful.

There are a few bikes of the type used by Martin and Cowell, the best known is a Stealth Bomber.

The instant full torque of the powerful rear motor mean they wheelie for fun, and as both men discovered, tend to throw their riders off the back.

Top speed usually around 50/60mph.

As observed, they are electric motorbikes so have nothing in common with ebikes.

https://stealthelectricbikes.com/stealth-b-52/

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
No axe to grind with ebikes or there riders but……… I’d hate to have to buy a replacement battery :whistle: . Some are rather spendy to replace.

Could I see myself with one ? possibly in the future due to dodgy joints. However I quite like getting in a sweaty mess as my commute was/is a work out for me.

Top Bottom