eBikes...mmm

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

boydj

Legendary Member
I wonder if the petrol heads say that to their bretherens of the car world…….enjoy you drive bruv, but dont boost that twin turbo v8 you got, with an aftermarket remap, or dont add that new petrol injector system, or dont add that gas injector switch, yadda yaddda……

if people want to de-restrict, its none of your business

If it makes the roads, or cycle tracks in particular, less safe then it's everybody's business. The mindset that needs to de-restrict an electric bike is not one with everybody else's safety in mind.

gbb

Legendary Member
So is boosting cars a danger…….so is running with headphones a danger…..so is riding with headphones a danger…and so on and so on

but as i said, none of mine or anyone elses business
Its non of your business what I think either, you cant have it both ways.
You dont get to decide what someone elses business is.

Reactions: C R

Drago

Legendary Member
It's very much societies business when someone breaks the law, because when enough people don't the typical response is a "crackdown".

This is often accompanied by a change in legislation that usually punishes the law abiding because of the behaviour of a few twits.

Whether it's dangerous or not is almost irrelevant. It's illegal, and it's selfish, and those alone are good enough reasons to not only not do it, but to not be stupid enough to boast about it when they so.

The problem with 'crackdowns' is that they normally go after the people they can get to

We have all seen the things where a counsel has a crackdown on cyclists on the pedestrianised area of the High Street - the idiots on MTBs treat it as a game and ride through deliberately and ride off laughing - the normal people who are riding though slowly and carefully stop when asked to and get fined
not who they should be after but this is what happens

So - back to the point (finally!) if an area is having problems with 'ebike riders' - whether they are ebikes (i.e. legal) or basically mopeds - then they will stop everyone on a bike and check it
the drug dealers who are - apparently - using illegal ebikes to delivery drugs - will zoom off up paths and tracks (as previously planned) and get away
But I will be left wondering how to prove I actually own my bike and it is legal - because I think maybe 50% of Police actually know how to determine whether an ebike is legal or not

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Here's a little question about e-bikes.

I know they are limited by law to the top speed at which they provide assist, but are they also required to only provide assist (and not be the only power source)? That is, is it necessary for you to be pedalling for the motor to kick in?

The reason I ask this is I was walking through our local park this weekend, down a gentle hill (maybe 3%) and a Deliveroo rider was coming up the hill. Not super fast, maybe 20kmh/12 mph but he wasn't pedalling at all, the motor was doing all the work.

Does that mean he was riding a Naughty Bike that had been modified? Or have I misunderstood what the law is?

I don't particularly care, he wasn't creating a nuisance or anything. I'm just curious.

CXRAndy

Guru

I know they are limited by law to the top speed at which they provide assist, but are they also required to only provide assist (and not be the only power source)? That is, is it necessary for you to be pedalling for the motor to kick in?

The reason I ask this is I was walking through our local park this weekend, down a gentle hill (maybe 3%) and a Deliveroo rider was coming up the hill. Not super fast, maybe 20kmh/12 mph but he wasn't pedalling at all, the motor was doing all the work.

Does that mean he was riding a Naughty Bike that had been modified? Or have I misunderstood what the law is?

I don't particularly care, he wasn't creating a nuisance or anything. I'm just curious.
He will have a thumb throttle too.

Its more stealthy to have a speed assist motor, so you ghost pedal to move at a set power output

numbnuts

Legendary Member

Machines made before 2016 had/could a throttle, when the law changed granddad rules applied i.e. you could carry on using it.
All brand new machine can not have a throttle, if they do it can only go up to 4mph.

GuyBoden

Guru
I saw a bloke today riding a nice electric bike, but he had odd shoes on, one black trainer, one blue trainer, normal trainers, but just odd.

Is wearing odd shoes an electric bike thing, signifying membership of a secret club?

No -

BURN THE WITCH

sorry - I mean - what's the problem?? maybe he has 2 pairs and the left one of the black pair is more comfy than the right - and the right one of the blue pair is more comfy than the left

so 2 comfy pairs - just not as sold

but no - not an ebike thing - unless you but comfort and convenience as part of riding an ebike - in which case it makes perfect sense

UNLESS - roll of drums

he is
Belgarath the Sorcerer was the father and ultimate grandfather, respectively, of Polgara and Belgarion. He was called the Ancient and Beloved in the Mrin Codex and The Eternal Man by various storytellers and was generally regarded as the most powerful sorcerer in the universe.

look it up

No axe to grind with ebikes or there riders but……… I’d hate to have to buy a replacement battery :whistle: . Some are rather spendy to replace.

Could I see myself with one ? possibly in the future due to dodgy joints. However I quite like getting in a sweaty mess as my commute was/is a work out for me.
I had to replace the battery and harness on my Tern after 650 miles...$600, I was fuming

I saw a bloke today riding a nice electric bike, but he had odd shoes on, one black trainer, one blue trainer, normal trainers, but just odd.

Is wearing odd shoes an electric bike thing, signifying membership of a secret club?
I went to work in odd shoes once. I only noticed at lunch when I got changed for swimming. Maybe it was dark when he got dressed.

Top Bottom