eBikes...mmm

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Overlapped with your last post - you’re ‘less happy’, so what?

You think I am being an elitist snob, I am anti ebike and my thoughts don't matter at all? Maybe you're right. I think you're wrong but we don't know each other.

You're right that my thoughts don't count for much but it's a well-established way of opening a respectful dialogue.

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Seriously thinking of getting a leccy road buke for my partner. Since she suffers from long covid she has found cycling very hard work and a chore, so if I can make it easier and enjoyable for her, then a leccy bike is the way to go.

Totally. I'm thinking about my parents who, whilst still fit and active, aren't as fit and active as they were and I think eBikes would open up a whole new world to them.

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
You don't have to get one though? Not sure it really matters what others choose to do (same as people getting up in arms about people spending £5k on a bike, electric or otherwise).

I'm not up in arms and you're right, it doesn't matter much if others choose to get one...I just think it's a shame that, for some people, the benefits of the bicycle is being diminished. I fully support those who choose to go electric if it adds to their quality of life, like many of the posters on this thread.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
This was one of them
https://www.gazellebikes.com/en-gb/ultimate-c8plus-hmb#pim_itemgenderframe[]=low-step&pim_itemcolorcodeonergb[]=237,9,9

The other was a rather crap conversion type thing.
I didn’t get a chance to try the Specialized Varo SL or Creo on the hill

All the legal ebikes are much of a muchness when it comes to grunt.

What your experience shows is legal ebikes are nothing like e-mopeds, but as you discovered, need a fair bit of effort on steep hills.

Less effort than a push bike, obviously, but the sneering 'you're riding a moped' is just cobblers.

I'm not thrilled about how the cycling world is going all electric. I see perfectly fit, strong riders buying ebikes and I wonder why?

Have you ever thought someone who appears to be a fit strong rider might have an 'invisible' issue which is making their cycling less pleasurable - and which they don't particularly want to talk about to anyone other than their medics? A knee twinge and the medical advice is to reduce your cycling? A breathing issue and the advice is to reduce the exertion until you are not short of breath or stabilised on the prescribed treatment? Or any one of a plethora of issues which can strike us whatever our age or apparent degree of fitness? And which may be intermittent, too, so some days they're fine on the normal bike - other days, not so much.

Heaven forbid, given the past18 months on this planet, maybe they have long covid (diagnosed or not) and however fit and healthy they look, they really really need that help?

Nowadays they don't need to explain their medical conditions or make false claims that they've 'gone off' cycling and prefer cross-stitch or cactus growing - they can just get electric-assist and owe no-one any explanation at all!

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
TOTALLY agree. 100%.

What I'm less happy about is those of us who ride anyway (or should be riding for health reasons) taking the easy, less eco-friendly option.
why are you less happy?? confused as to why, just cause someone exercise's their right to ride something different to you and its more eco-friendly than taking the car, so really more eco-friendly

vickster

Legendary Member
But pretty much any modern car can break any speed limit in existence in this country and they aren’t restricted to 15.5mph by law like ebikes.

Want to ride on two wheels faster than 15.5mph, either pedal faster on the flat or uphill, only go down hills or get a license, a helmet and a motorbike

jowwy

But pretty much any modern car can break any speed limit in existence in this country and they aren’t restricted to 15.5mph by law like ebikes.

Want to ride on two wheels faster than 15.5mph, either pedal faster on the flat or uphill, only go down hills or get a license, a helmet and a motorbike
want to driver faster than the speed limit in your car, go to a track day or move to germany and drive on the auto bans..........bus's and lorries are limited to 56mph, maybe we should do the same to cars, less fuel used, more eco friendly and will help climate change too

vickster

Legendary Member
How will that work in a 20/30/40/50 limit? Because buses, lorries and vans never ever speed in those :wacko:

You presumably only enjoy your own derestricted ebike on the track too? And never exceed a 20 or 30 speed limit. That certainly isn’t the case around here

Last edited:

jowwy

How will that work in a 20/30/40/50 limit?

You presumably only enjoy your own derestricted ebike on the track too? And never exceed a 20 or 30 speed limit. That certainly isn’t the case around here
i don't have a de-restricted ebike, both mine are fully legal.....but i can see why some have them and don't have an issue with it, its not my issue if they gat caught, same as its not my issue if drivers get caught speeding

but if your going to make comments about de-restricted ebikes, then be happy to get the same comments about cars

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Have you ever thought someone who appears to be a fit strong rider might have an 'invisible' issue which is making their cycling less pleasurable - and which they don't particularly want to talk about to anyone other than their medics? A knee twinge and the medical advice is to reduce your cycling? A breathing issue and the advice is to reduce the exertion until you are not short of breath or stabilised on the prescribed treatment? Or any one of a plethora of issues which can strike us whatever our age or apparent degree of fitness? And which may be intermittent, too, so some days they're fine on the normal bike - other days, not so much.

Heaven forbid, given the past18 months on this planet, maybe they have long covid (diagnosed or not) and however fit and healthy they look, they really really need that help?

Nowadays they don't need to explain their medical conditions or make false claims that they've 'gone off' cycling and prefer cross-stitch or cactus growing - they can just get electric-assist and owe no-one any explanation at all!
You’re right and I hope I’ve made it clear several times that I’m not anti eBike as I see the benefits!

You’re right and I hope I’ve made it clear several times that I’m not anti eBike as I see the benefits!

But you are effectively condemning those who merely appear to be fit and strong for riding one.
Or should all e-bike riders carry placards explaining their use of it, so that you can nod approvingly from your position of virtue?
I'm certain that's not what you intend, but it is rather how you are coming across ...

TwoStews

Thought I would contribute here as I bought my very first e-bike in May (a Cannondale Synapse Neo 1). I am a fit & healthy, 40-year-old, life-long cyclist.

I commute to work by bike. I carry luggage with me including laptop, clothes and food. I own a car, but try not to use it unless absolutely necessary. My most direct commute to and from work involves 18 miles and 1500 ft of ascent in total. However, I would usually commute a longer way around, which has less climbing and less traffic (21 miles and 1300ft total). This longer route would take me a total of around 1hr 45 mins depending on time of year, traffic, weather etc.

Once I started going back into work full-time around March/April, my wife soon started to resent my commuting by bike as it meant I was out of the house for much longer than if I had just driven to and from work. She was at home on mat leave looking after our two young kids (2.5 and 6 months then) and she would have liked me to be at home as much as possible. Perfectly reasonable request, breakfast and teatime can be very fractious, and you need all hands on deck!

So I bought an e-bike. I now commute the most direct route which I can do in a total of about 55 minutes. It’s just as quick as driving, so I am not stealing time from my wife and kids to indulge my love of cycling, I can still cover 100 miles a week on two wheels and there is no car of mine adding to the rush hour and polluting the planet.

Could I just MTFU and do the same on a non-electric bike? Yeah probably, but not every day, in all weather, carrying a well-laden pannier.

Personally the e-bike has been a revelation and a true win-win-win for me, my family and the planet. Once my circumstances change and I can commute at my leisure and under my own power again, I will almost certainly sell the e-bike, but until then it’s a perfect fit for my life and I am glad I have it.

Happy riding everyone!

Top Bottom