eBikes...mmm

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Should I feel embarrassed when I go out on my motorbike? It doesn't have any pedals at all.
As long as you never exceed the speed limit whatever it might be... and don't stop in the ruddy ASL at lights as the bike painted on the road clearly has pedals!!! :ph34r:

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Yeah, a few members disagreed with the OP.

Ruddy liberty, ban 'em I say.
Not at all! Those posts that disagreed with me I read, like and responded politely to some. I was hoping for a discussion.

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
if i was to make a post stating " im not happy with xxx companies service" am i not complaining???
if i was to make a post stating " im not happy with xxx companies service" am i not complaining???

so to me your line of " i'm not thrilled with cycling going XX" is a complaint about the cycling industry is it not??

No, it’s an observation and my perspective.

I don’t see that as a complaint and I’m hardly screaming! I’m sharing my perspective and asking for other perspectives. Which is the point of discussion isn’t it?

You did come across initially as very judgemental of people who use e-bikes - especially those who appear , to your eyes, anyway, to be 'fit and strong' - and seemed to be demanding that people have a reason which is acceptable to you, for riding them. Tone is almost impossible to put across on t'interwebz, isn't it?

Let me ask you, would you ever consider asking the same blunt question of people who use wheelchairs? Many wheelchair users 'appear' - on brief or initial acquaintance at least! - to be 'fit and strong'. Many of them are indeed 'fit and strong' as will soon be evinced by the paralympics. Does that mean you think they don't need, or shouldn't use, a wheelchair, or that their use of a wheelchair somehow disappoints you and diminishes them?

Of course you wouldn't, and you don't - yet the impression you put across in your initial post is that you are somehow disappointed that people who you don't think should 'need' to use an e-bike, are doing so nonetheless.

Maybe you could have put it in a less-confrontational way -
'I'm puzzled about e-bikes and their growing popularity. Would those of you who use them, be willing to explain? I'm especially interested to know why a person who considers themself to be fit and strong would ride one. It's not something I've ever considered'.
Or something like that?

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
And others gave the appearance of it being an affront to their presumed masculinity. Of course, it may have just been their wording that left that impression.
what has masculinity got to do with riding an ebike???

2 things
Firstly I assume we are basically talking about UK/EU legal ebikes - i.e. (just be be clear) max power 250W, throttle and motor cut off at 15.5 mph
Apart from the pre 2016 ones that are max 200W and can have a throttle
Totally different to a few I have seen with a hub motor the size of a dinner plate

Other point - as far as health is concerned I am - in my opinion - better off on a 2 hour ebike ride than a 30 minute ride on a 'proper' bike - and I am far more likely to do it
I have also found that I started riding my new ebike (the old one was pre 2016 and had to assist modes - on and off! - I started in Sports mode - I soon knocked it down to Tour mode - this year I have made my normal mode Eco - and often knock it down to Off, especially if there are other riders on a narrow path so passing would be inconvenient or rude

Also - a little story - but one where something similar has happened a few times
Last summer I was riding along a dual carrigeway heading toward Warrington - I was on a good cycle path next to it and there was a long gap between intersecting roads - it was basically flat with no wind.
Eventually I reached the next main road and had to stop to wait for the crossing to go green.
A much younger bloke pulled up next to me on a mountain style bike puffing and blowing. He looked at my bike and said "Oh good - I didn't know it was an ebike - I have been killing myself trying to keep up with you and feeling bad that you could stay ahead!!!
It felt wrong to tell him that I was maintaining about 18mph along the whole stretch - i.e. the motor had cut out a few yards after the previous junction when I got to the cutoff speed and the rest was him trying to keep up with an old fat bloke on a VERY heavy bike!!!!

EDIT - corrected due to typing error saying no throttle on pre 2016 when I know damn well they can have one!!!!

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Before I start, I am ABSOLUTELY not being elitist or a cycling snob. I have NOTHING against eBikes - my running buddy got one and it has transformed her into a cyclist and has brought her so much pleasure. I love that I get to cycle with her. I'm trying to persuade my parents to get eBikes and I'm planning to get one myself when I'm older and need that extra support.

However...

I'm not thrilled about how the cycling world is going all electric. I see perfectly fit, strong riders buying ebikes and I wonder why? Two of the biggest problems facing our society are a) obesity and b) climate. eBikes don't help with either of those problems and actually make the second problem worse. Why, all of a sudden, are we going electric when the beauty of a bike is that it gets you fit and transports you around with no/minimal environmental damage?
I don't understand your problem. Yes using a non-ebike improves your a) and b) but the other side of the argument is I now see people of all shapes, sizes and ages in parts of rural Lancashire where I've never seen them before. Great. A few weeks ago we saw two teenage girls on e-MTBs tackling one of our finest climbs, Waddington Fell. Without an e-bike there is no way they would have been there. Sometime last year we were asked for directions by a young man, 6'+, broad shouldered and apparently very fit. He wanted directions to the top of a local hill. He was on an e-bike. We did say to each other "Really?" but he was out, having fun and getting some fresh air and exercise.

The cycling world is far from going all electric. At a guess my club members own 800-1000 bikes between them. The guy who owned the only e-bike has sold it, he bought during recovery from heart surgery.

You love cycling with your friend, you're trying to persuade your parents to buy eBikes and plan to get one yourself in the future yet you don't understand why they have become so popular? Seems odd to me.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
2 things
Firstly I assume we are basically talking about UK/EU legal ebikes - i.e. (just be be clear) max power 250W, no throttle and motor cut off at 15.5 mph
Apart from the pre 2016 ones that are max 200W and can have a throttle
Totally different to a few I have seen with a hub motor the size of a dinner plate

Other point - as far as health is concerned I am - in my opinion - better off on a 2 hour ebike ride than a 30 minute ride on a 'proper' bike - and I am far more likely to do it
I have also found that I started riding my new ebike (the old one was pre 2016 and had to assist modes - on and off! - I started in Sports mode - I soon knocked it down to Tour mode - this year I have made my normal mode Eco - and often knock it down to Off, especially if there are other riders on a narrow path so passing would be inconvenient or rude

Also - a little story - but one where something similar has happened a few times
Last summer I was riding along a dual carrigeway heading toward Warrington - I was on a good cycle path next to it and there was a long gap between intersecting roads - it was basically flat with no wind.
Eventually I reached the next main road and had to stop to wait for the crossing to go green.
A much younger bloke pulled up next to me on a mountain style bike puffing and blowing. He looked at my bike and said "Oh good - I didn't know it was an ebike - I have been killing myself trying to keep up with you and feeling bad that you could stay ahead!!!
It felt wrong to tell him that I was maintaining about 18mph along the whole stretch - i.e. the motor had cut out a few yards after the previous junction when I got to the cutoff speed and the rest was him trying to keep up with an old fat bloke on a VERY heavy bike!!!!
yup oddly enough most people think that ebikes stop at 15.5mph and arn't aware that you can pedal them past the limit........

Top Bottom