EBikes recalled due to Explosions risk (USA I think)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
If you buy anything from Wish or Aliexpress, you know its going to be cheap and nasty. How you would return lithium batteries to them is a mystery and I would forget getting a decent replacement.

The image of the ebike in that article doesn't meet the description as the battery is not as the article describes. I would of thought such an article would be far more useful if it showed the correct ebike with the issue. The model of battery has been sold from 2016 to 2022 so there must be a huge number of such ebikes out there many of which appear to be have been sold in the UK and Europe too but no mention of a recall here yet. The issue with low capacity ebike batteries at the value end is the cells are put through a lot of pain with a very high discharge rate and they are typically lower quality cells. Manufacturing quality of the battery packs is likely inconsistent too.

It's always worth pointing out that hub based ebikes are the majority of ebikes sold though with over 95% of ebikes sold in the world based on hub motors. This is obviously because they are lower price and more accessible to more people. I've not actually heard of a Ancheer battery pack failing and igniting before. I'm assuming the ebikes are fully certified as its a legal requirement when sold in most markets. If you buy from aliexpress you bypass such certification and its a personal import so its possible the same product sold on aliexpress doesn't meet the same safety standards as a product sold from within the US, UK, Europe etc.

For many I'm sure it will be great to get their end of life battery pack replaced with a new battery pack with improved safety. Maybe improved cells?

tds101

Here's what the battery looks like,...

24V-Lithium-Ion-Ebike-Battery.jpg

Top Bottom