ecover washing-up liquid

ecover

• It's completely useless

Votes: 16 57.1%
  • Of course it is, but it makes me feel saintly, and I can brag about it at dinner parties.

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Animal fat never passes the threshold of The Sacred Temple that is my body.

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Pssst. Can I come round and score some of your Fairy Liquid....?

Votes: 5 17.9%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's my assumption that when before you get an Aga installed they make you sign an agreement to only use ecover, and to buy it from Waitrose if possible. Also keep colonies of wild yeast and lactobacillus. So they had no choice.

As for fat, you should keep it out of the drains as much as possible, disposing via land fill or compost, depending on the vermin situation. Ecover is perfectly capable of removing the final film of fat left after it's been poured or scraped off, but maybe not all the fat an 8kg turkey developed in his or her short life.

Edit: Dammit, spent way too long composing this. Well earned TMN to @Colin_P

Last edited:
Never had a problem cleaning fat off dishes/pans using Ecover...
Nor me :okay:

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Always let the pans soak, it saves time in the long run.

Anyway, I hope you scraped the gizzard juice and jelly off said pan and binned it before putting into soak. You don't want to have a fat-burg on your conscience.
The foul-smelling gizzards and giblets were thrown to the dogs outdoors. They put a hurt on my nose.

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
It's my assumption that when before you get an Aga installed they make you sign an agreement to only use ecover, and to buy it from Waitrose if possible. Also keep colonies of wild yeast and lactobacillus. So they had no choice.

As for fat, you should keep it out of the drains as much as possible, disposing via land fill or compost, depending on the vermin situation. Ecover is perfectly capable of removing the final film of fat left after it's been poured or scraped off, but maybe not all the fat an 8kg turkey developed in his or her short life.

Edit: Dammit, spent way too long composing this. Well earned TMN to @Colin_P
I'm happy to see you developing your lazy stereotyping! Ownership of an AGA is a good tripwire. Splendid!

I'm happy to see you developing your lazy stereotyping! Ownership of an AGA is a good tripwire. Splendid!
Been there, got the t-shirt

75d91bfe580e11d9ddaf5206824aef55--the-onion-time-saving.jpg

Agas to me are fascinating. I've stayed in a cottage once that had one, and I ended up baking a loaf of bread in it. I never called it an oven or stove. I immediately referred to it as "the Aga".

I could have totally become a character in a Joanna Trollope novel, if my life had gone a different way.

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Some people seem to be saying "well...ecover, it sort of works". Is that some kind of endorsement when presented with the impossible task of disposing of the bodily fluids of a giant bird? Wouldn't Fairy Liquid get the grease off your fingers faster? Why pretend that ecover actually works?

?

Buck

Guru
We use Ecover and it does work. Mind you we don’t have water with lots of lime in it around here so that might make a difference.

We had some fairy WUL a little while ago. Horrid stuff.

Good washing up is about the preparation not just bunging loads of chemicals in the bowl :biggrin:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Option 4. Why wasn't the gravy made in the roasting tin?

This. With any roasting tin, add a spoonful of flour, stir it around in the fat until it begins to brown then add the stock from the vegetables and a spoonful of marmite if you like. It deals very well with that fat and makes delicious gravy.

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Here's a bit from The Guardian (so it must be true)....

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2005/oct/11/ethicalmoney.homesandgardens

Ecover

The Belgium-based brand leader whose headquarters is in an eco-friendly building (planted sedum roof, solar power etc). Environmental innovations include paying workers more if they cycle, rather than drive to work.

Price/availability

£1.58, 1 litre

Widely available in supermarkets, refills at selected health food stores, or call for stockists (0845 130 2230,
www.ecover.com)

Our verdict

An appealing option in that it's easy to find (fewer petro-miles to get hold of it; fewer headaches). Refills bottles, so cutting down on waste, but only at a disappointing number of outlets (45): a big "could do better" here. Two versions: one contains milk, the other has no milk or other dairy by-products. Struggles when washing really greasy dishes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom