"Eddington Number"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
New one to me so if you'd said yes I'd have been most impressed ^_^
It's a good'un, isn't it? The "no" above is also a link to the oxford dictionary's entry.

Some more words to catch up on http://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/...rds-added-oxforddictionaries-com-august-2014/

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Up another one.

Your imperial Eddington Number is 93.
You need to do 5 ride(s) of at least 94 to increase it to 94.
You need to do 10 ride(s) of at least 95 to increase it to 95.
You need to do 13 ride(s) of at least 96 to increase it to 96.
You need to do 17 ride(s) of at least 100 to increase it to 100.

Your metric Eddington Number is 141
You need to do 8 ride(s) of at least 142 to increase it to 142.
You need to do 11 ride(s) of at least 143 to increase it to 143.
You need to do 18 ride(s) of at least 144 to increase it to 144.
You need to do 23 ride(s) of at least 145 to increase it to 145.
You need to do 57 ride(s) of at least 150 to increase it to 150.
You need to do 195 ride(s) of at least 200 to increase it to 200.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
A quiet afternoon, so figured I'd see what mine was...

• You need 1 more day (of 33 miles or more) to achieve an Eddington number of 33
  • You need 7 more days (of 34 miles or more) to achieve an Eddington number of 34
  • You need 12 more days (of 35 miles or more) to achieve an Eddington number of 35
  • You need 18 more days (of 36 miles or more) to achieve an Eddington number of 36
  • You need 20 more days (of 37 miles or more) to achieve an Eddington number of 37
  • You need 24 more days (of 38 miles or more) to achieve an Eddington number of 38

So I ride loads, but now need to ride longer.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Now up to 95

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I had never really thought about what my Eddington number might be, since I only started keeping accurate records 4 or 5 years ago. Still, it would be an interesting personal challenge so I will see what I can get my number to.

I am now 61 and think anything much beyond an average of (say) one imperial century a month is NOT likely and nor is me doing lots of long rides in my 70s and 80s so I think to achieve an Eddington number of 100 by the end of my 70th year would be a tough, but doable target.

I'll consult my MCL numbers and work out where I currently stand ...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
if you want to use http://mcgalliard.org/eddington/index.php it will work it out for you in a few seconds, and draw you a graph!
Ha ha - I just trawled through manually and worked out that I am currently on 62. That isn't bad considering that my data only goes back to 2011. I know that I have done lots of rides longer than 62 miles before that including at least 20 rides over 100 miles, but I will just count from 1st Jan 2011.

Let's see what that software does with my numbers ... Yes, it confirms what I found. I like that software - thanks!

ColinJ Eddington progress 26 Feb 2017.jpg

Note the extensive enforced break due to illness from mid-2012 through to 2014!

It means that metric centuries (62 miles) are not going to help me boost my numbers. I will have a go at the imperial century a month challenge from January next year, and try to get some in this year as long entries in my metric century a month challenge.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Ooh I need1 to get to 92, 3 for 93, 4 for 94, 5 for 95 and 13 for 100.

That's seems quite weird though cos it would seem to suggest a lot of my rides are between 90 and 100 miles when they aren't . I've probably done 2 rides of that magnitude

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I've found I'm enjoying more shorter rides these days. Similar overall mileage but mountainous rides over 60 miles became too fatiguing and not much fun for the final miles.

So my Eddington is a bit becalmed at 57....only increased from 54 in the past 12 months

Top Bottom