"Eddington Number"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Slowly getting there. Now up to 98

upload_2017-4-16_17-57-58.png

However, entering century number 1 involved clicking through the months back to July 1982, after which I started to think that doing the rides again might be less soul-destroying.
You can type the date straight into the date field on RwGPS, just use the format 2017-04-05
mycyclinglog might be quicker, or you can do it in excel.
Or both. You can upload a spreadsheet to MCL.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
You can type the date straight into the date field on RwGPS, just use the format 2017-04-05
This works for me. Thanks for that!

Or both. You can upload a spreadsheet to MCL.
I thought you could do this. But I've been getting a "Registration Temporarily Disabled" message for a few weeks now when I try to sign up to MCL, and it's starting to look a bit permanent.

I have all my numbers anyway, and my current position is "You need to do 1 ride(s) of at least 114 (miles) to increase it to 114". It'll be nice to have the display everyone else uses when I get there :smile:

Aravis

Putrid Donut
A bit of a slog, but I've shovelled all the relevant data into RwGPS:

Your imperial Eddington Number is 113.
You need to do 1 ride(s) of at least 114 to increase it to 114.
You need to do 8 ride(s) of at least 115 to increase it to 115.
You need to do 17 ride(s) of at least 116 to increase it to 116.
You need to do 49 ride(s) of at least 120 to increase it to 120.
You need to do 138 ride(s) of at least 150 to increase it to 150.
You need to do 199 ride(s) of at least 200 to increase it to 200.

The really enticing one on that list is "49 120s". As I have a long standing target of 365 lifetime centuries (representing a year's worth) for which I need another 82, that would mean extending to 120 just over half the time. All being well I'll get there.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
A bit of a slog, but I've shovelled all the relevant data into RwGPS:

Your imperial Eddington Number is 113.
You need to do 1 ride(s) of at least 114 to increase it to 114.
You need to do 8 ride(s) of at least 115 to increase it to 115.
You need to do 17 ride(s) of at least 116 to increase it to 116.

The really enticing one on that list is "49 120s". As I have a long standing target of 365 lifetime centuries (representing a year's worth) for which I need another 82, that would mean extending to 120 just over half the time. All being well I'll get there.

Congrats. Awesome work.

A bit of a slog,
Thank you for making me laugh.

Entering all those numbers was "a bit of a slog" not the thousands of miles of cycling? :biggrin:

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Thank you for making me laugh.

Entering all those numbers was "a bit of a slog" not the thousands of miles of cycling? :biggrin:
As you'll appreciate, revisiting all that data has brought back a lot of happy memories. It's not the pain you remember, is it?

Century number 30, October 5th, 1985, Downpatrick to Dun Laoghaire. A 25mph wind from the south, and a ferry to catch. After rounding the Mourne coast road I was blown back up to Newry at a remarkable pace and knew I was heading for trouble. Now that really was a slog, but the memory only makes me smile.

steverob

Guru
I was introduced to the world of Eddington via Veloviewer, mainly cause it displays your current number for imperial, metric and climbing (x20m) on its front page and have been keeping an eye on it ever since - or at least I thought I had. Somehow I managed to miss the fact that I hit E=50 (imperial) over a month ago with my March metric century ride!

Having said that, this only covers my rides since I re-started cycling in 2013 which is when I first got a GPS device and so a method of easily storing my historical ride data. I'll admit that my cycling previous to that (1998-2010 ish) didn't exactly have a massive amount of long rides in it, but there were a few over 50 miles which means I probably would have reached E=50 sometime late last year if I'd have recorded them all. The good news is, the higher up the scale you go, the less those missing rides matter - I know I'd never done over 58 miles before 2014, so if I get my Eddington up above that, I'll know the figure is now spot on. Trouble is I need another 29 rides of over 58 miles to achieve that...

Aravis

Putrid Donut
A very nice ride today notched up the next number:

Your imperial Eddington Number is 114.
You need to do 7 ride(s) of at least 115 to increase it to 115.
You need to do 16 ride(s) of at least 116 to increase it to 116.
You need to do 26 ride(s) of at least 117 to increase it to 117.

It looks as though 114 has been one of my less frequent numbers, so it's not too far to the next step up.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
A very nice ride today notched up the next number:

Your imperial Eddington Number is 114.
You need to do 7 ride(s) of at least 115 to increase it to 115.
You need to do 16 ride(s) of at least 116 to increase it to 116.
You need to do 26 ride(s) of at least 117 to increase it to 117.

It looks as though 114 has been one of my less frequent numbers, so it's not too far to the next step up.

Only a seasoned long distance rider would think 7 115 mile rides isn't too far a step up :notworthy:

Top Bottom