"Eddington Number"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I'm now up to 96, 4 more hundreds will see me hit the magic 100, another 5 on top of those for 101 and another 12 on top of those to hit 102. I think I might stop counting once I hit 100 ^_^

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Now up to 97

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Today's imperial century took me to an imperial 63. I still need 91 centuries for my life target of 100, having not logged anything on MCL before January, 2011.

I think I might search through old diaries and see if I can dredge up some old rides longer than 63 miles to retro-add to MCL. I'll only do it if I can satisfy myself of the details ...

ColinJ

Today's imperial century took me to an imperial 63. I still need 91 centuries for my life target of 100, having not logged anything on MCL before January, 2011.

I think I might search through old diaries and see if I can dredge up some old rides longer than 63 miles to retro-add to MCL. I'll only do it if I can satisfy myself of the details ...
I don't have anywhere near a complete record of my longer rides but I managed to find a lot of useful ones and have updated MCL ... I now have an imperial Eddington number of 66 and need 77 centuries for my E100 target. :smile:

ColinJ

Right then. Off out to bag a new E number.
I am going to try a much easier way today - see if I can find my records of rides longer than 66 miles that I have done which would boost my E number!

The good news is that I just found my 1997 diary. The bad news is that I mainly did MTB rides and short, quick road rides that year. I did spot a 77-miler though. Ha - MCL doesn't go back that far so I'll add it for 2005 instead! :laugh:

Ooh, I have just remembered a 138 mile ride which was not on the list - Hebden Bridge to Manchester, Manchester to Blackpool charity ride, Blackpool to Hebden Bridge! That was in 2004 but I'll have to add that to 2005 on MCL.

I am going to add my Manchester 100 rides, though I can't remember exactly how many I have done. I can't find written records of them, but I have done 6 or 7. I'll play safe and call it 5. Those will get added to 2005 on MCL.

I found a few other long rides too and have added them.

Time to recalculate ... E = 69, 70 more centuries for my E 100 - yay! :okay:

I did some longish rides on my Spanish cycling holidays. I don't think there were too many longer than 69 miles but there could well be a few. I'll have to search for the scraps of paper on which I listed them.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I am going to try a much easier way today - see if I can find my records of rides longer than 66 miles that I have done which would boost my E number!

The good news is that I just found my 1997 diary. The bad news is that I mainly did MTB rides and short, quick road rides that year. I did spot a 77-miler though. Ha - MCL doesn't go back that far so I'll add it for 2005 instead! :laugh:

Ooh, I have just remembered a 138 mile ride which was not on the list - Hebden Bridge to Manchester, Manchester to Blackpool charity ride, Blackpool to Hebden Bridge! That was in 2004 but I'll have to add that to 2005 on MCL.

I am going to add my Manchester 100 rides, though I can't remember exactly how many I have done. I can't find written records of them, but I have done 6 or 7. I'll play safe and call it 5. Those will get added to 2005 on MCL.

I found a few other long rides too and have added them.

Time to recalculate ... E = 69, 70 more centuries for my E 100 - yay! :okay:

I did some longish rides on my Spanish cycling holidays. I don't think there were too many longer than 69 miles but there could well be a few. I'll have to search for the scraps of paper on which I listed them.

I had the same problem. I have only included and added my rides total since I started logging rides in Jan 2009. I know that I have good few imperial centuries before that but really not fussed to try work it all out.

Anyway, a new Eddington number will have to wait another week.
I couldn't be bothered to go chasing it today, it would have meant an extra 6 miles and half an hour. Just went home instead. Needed a cup of tea.

ColinJ

I had the same problem. I have only included and added my rides total since I started logging rides in Jan 2009. I know that I have good few imperial centuries before that but really not fussed to try work it all out.

Anyway, a new Eddington number will have to wait another week.
I couldn't be bothered to go chasing it today, it would have meant an extra 6 miles and half an hour. Just went home instead. Needed a cup of tea.
If I were younger and hadn't had my health problems then I would just take my time but I feel the pressure of my age and the passing years now. If I do a century ride every couple of months, my E100 will still take me until I am 73!:laugh:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
my E100 will still take me until I am 73

Which isn't old these days cycling wise. I'm certainly hoping I can bag centuries at that age.

ColinJ

Which isn't old these days cycling wise. I'm certainly hoping I can bag centuries at that age.
True. I too hope to still be doing long rides in my 70s but my cardiovascular system has not made a full recovery from 2012/2013 so it wouldn't surprise me if the damage (or the rat poison meds) get me in the end.

Still, make hay while the sun shines, eh? :okay:

PS I have just noticed that my recent upload of old rides has brought my metric E number to 100 - 100 metric centuries!

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
...and there you have it. With last night/todays ride of 138 miles. My E# rises to 111. Lot's of work to do to get to #112 though.

upload_2017-4-8_17-9-0.png

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I'm stuck at 35, needing at least 6 more 36+ milers to get to 36. If I complete the metric century challenge this year then that should do it, plus a bit I hope..

ColinJ

I'm stuck at 35, needing at least 6 more 36+ milers to get to 36. If I complete the metric century challenge this year then that should do it, plus a bit I hope..
The metric centuries will obviously make a big difference. This Eddington number thing is very sneaky though. I was feeling pleased with myself to be getting quite a few metric centuries in but I am now at E69 so none of them help me! :wacko:

I'm thinking that I will try and extend some of my metric centuries to just over 120 km (75 miles) to try and achieve E75. If I am going to do more than 75 miles though then I will aim for a full imperial century so that the ride will count towards my long-term goal of E100.

I'm blowed if I am going to go for, say, E90 but then have to do another 70 imperial centuries to get up to E100!

So, my longer rides will either be just over 100 km (62 miles) for the metric a month challenge, just over 75 miles to achieve an intermediate E75, or 100+ miles for an eventual E100.

I need 28 75-milers for E75, 70 100-milers for E100.

That has decided me - I have planned a 70 mile forum ride for 2 weeks time, but I will make sure that I add that extra 5 miles on! Instead of leaving the extra until after the official ride, I think I will do a 5-mile pre-ride warm up instead so I am not tempted to skip it at the end. :okay:

I am doing a 115 km audax ride tomorrow but it starts/finishes at Mytholmroyd, which is about 10 km from here so I will actually be riding 135 km (84 miles). It is a very tough, hilly route though so I am highly unlikely to add another 16 miles on unless I feel absolutely fantastic at the end of the event!

Last edited:

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I have a milestone looming so it would be nice to start doing this properly. A couple of questions:

I see I can load stuff from my paper archives into RWGPS - a date and a distance seems to be all that's needed. However, entering century number 1 involved clicking through the months back to July 1982, after which I started to think that doing the rides again might be less soul-destroying. Is there an easier way? I suppose that for what I want to do the date isn't that important.

Secondly, to those who put their E-number in their signature, is there an automatic way of doing this, or do you just type it in?

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I have a milestone looming so it would be nice to start doing this properly. A couple of questions:

I see I can load stuff from my paper archives into RWGPS - a date and a distance seems to be all that's needed. However, entering century number 1 involved clicking through the months back to July 1982, after which I started to think that doing the rides again might be less soul-destroying. Is there an easier way? I suppose that for what I want to do the date isn't that important.

Secondly, to those who put their E-number in their signature, is there an automatic way of doing this, or do you just type it in?

mycyclinglog might be quicker, or you can do it in excel.

Top Bottom