"Eddington Number"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Mine has just risen to 48, and it's ticking along nicely now. I have done very few rides in the 50s of miles, but regularly do the Metric Century a Month Challenge, so lots over 62 miles. Only need to do 4 more Challenge rides before my number goes up to 50 (which I will find quite pleasing), and after that, it might go up by about 1 every month until the end of 2018.

Once I reach somewhere between 62 and 64, I can't imagine it ever getting much higher, as I only have 3 rides in the bank over 70 miles (and only 1 over 100), so I'd virtually have to start all over again. Utmost respect to @ianrauk. Anything over 100 is truly phenomenal, and I'm coming to realise just how much effort it must have taken.

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Mine has just risen to 48, and it's ticking along nicely now. I have done very few rides in the 50s of miles, but regularly do the Metric Century a Month Challenge, so lots over 62 miles. Only need to do 4 more Challenge rides before my number goes up to 50 (which I will find quite pleasing), and after that, it might go up by about 1 every month until the end of 2018.

Once I reach somewhere between 62 and 64, I can't imagine it ever getting much higher, as I only have 3 rides in the bank over 70 miles (and only 1 over 100), so I'd virtually have to start all over again. Utmost respect to @ianrauk. Anything over 100 is truly phenomenal, and I'm coming to realise just how much effort it must have taken.

Thanks, Donger.
I did start this madness 9 years ago :ohmy: however it was only a couple of years back when on a ride with that @deptfordmarmoset when he bought up the Eddington in conversation that I decided to see what I could get to the 100. It's gone on from there, but now it's getting to be really hard work.
I'm not actually chasing Eddingtons, but if they happen, then it's a bonus.

With rides planned this year it's looking like I can get to 112, maybe at a push 113. Then... I can't imagine getting to 114 for a very long time.

upload_2017-6-19_11-38-58.png

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I remember being in exactly that position when I'd done my fourth century, in early 1984. Up to that point I'd collected a lot of rides in the 50-70 range, and if I wanted to go for a century of centuries (I wasn't viewing it as Eddington at the time but to all intents and purposes it was the same thing) it was clear I'd have to disown my past.

What did the trick was rattling off five quick centuries that spring, taking me to eight. I then felt I was properly embarked on the new challenge.

I'm not actually chasing Eddingtons, but if they happen, then it's a bonus.
Do you seriously expect us to believe that? ;)

Aravis

Putrid Donut
:eek:Hell's teeth! Thanks for the advice, but what planet do you think I am from? You, Sir, are a machine.:notworthy:
Thanks for the compliment - not entirely deserved! I was actually referring to a sequence of centuries on five consecutive weekends, which by many people's standards is positively human.

April 1984 was one of those rare months where most of the country saw no rainfall at all. Easter was almost as late as it can be that year, so there truly was a favourable planetary line-up, and I took advantage with a splendid Easter mini-tour in Southern Scotland and Northern Ireland. At the end of that period my outlook had completely changed, and the century of centuries challenge was well and truly on. FTR I completed it on June 11th 1988.

So not a blueprint for anyone to follow; just an example of where events can lead you.

I've just noticed that my last ride moved my "GPS verified Eddington" number up to 50.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
My Eddington number increase has just about conked out

Around here I find rides of much more than 60 miles just too hard to be enjoyable. I'll do some occasional flatter rides but they're few and far between as N is hilly, S is hilly, E is hilly....just leaves W

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

Around here I find rides of much more than 60 miles just too hard to be enjoyable. I'll do some occasional flatter rides but they're few and far between as N is hilly, S is hilly, E is hilly....just leaves W

Or a train...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

I have similar problem in West Yorkshire, so I am officially still only on E70 despite riding around these parts since 1989. (I did quite a few long unlogged rides over the years, but I am sticking to the logged ones.)

I do have the option of riding out to the Forest of Bowland and back, which gives me more moderately hilly options in the 60-70 mile range. I can extend that to 70-100 miles by heading on through to the Fylde and Wyre districts. I would probably still be tackling 4,000+ ft of climbing though.

Or a train...
I've been using that option to get to some of nickyboy's (and other forum members') longer and flatter rides.

I worked out a very much flatter route in the Vale of York which was useful in the E60s and took about 80 mins to get to by train. I'll have to work out some longer variations of that to help get me from E70 to E100.

My sisters are now living about 60 miles apart (Coventry and Leighton Buzzard). I'm sure I can come up with some nice 100 mile routes between the two locations which wouldn't involve much climbing. I'll have to take my bike down on more family visits.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Thanks for the compliment - not entirely deserved! I was actually referring to a sequence of centuries on five consecutive weekends, which by many people's standards is positively human.

April 1984 was one of those rare months where most of the country saw no rainfall at all. Easter was almost as late as it can be that year, so there truly was a favourable planetary line-up, and I took advantage with a splendid Easter mini-tour in Southern Scotland and Northern Ireland. At the end of that period my outlook had completely changed, and the century of centuries challenge was well and truly on. FTR I completed it on June 11th 1988.

So not a blueprint for anyone to follow; just an example of where events can lead you.

I've just noticed that my last ride moved my "GPS verified Eddington" number up to 50.

Century of centuries is now my target. I'm hoping to finish it the end of 2019 at the latest.

steverob

Guru
I've reached a small cliff-edge with my Eddington number and it won't be changing for a little while. Currently it stands at 50, having done 56 rides of at least that distance. However I've only done 46 rides of 51 miles or more (and 40 of 52 miles) - I guess this is a side-effect of doing only riding the bare minimum when doing the Half Century a Month challenge!

Last edited:
Top Bottom