"Eddington Number"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Up to 58 after today's ride should be over 60 by the end of the year then it gets hard as I riden lots of 64 to get metric centuries in but not much over that distance

I've just ticked over to 58 too after a couple of longer, flatter rides recently. Only need 4 @59+ to get up to 59

13 rider

Guru
Your imperial Eddington Number is 58.
You need to do 3 ride(s) of at least 59 to increase it to 59.
You need to do 4 ride(s) of at least 60 to increase it to 60.
You need to do 8 ride(s) of at least 61 to increase it to 61.
You need to do 32 ride(s) of at least 65 to increase it to 65.
You need to do 50 ride(s) of at least 70 to increase it to 70.
You need to do 88 ride(s) of at least 100 to increase it to 100.
I've just ticked over to 58 too after a couple of longer, flatter rides recently. Only need 4 @59+ to get up to 59
As you can see easy to get to 61 with the Imperial and metric challenge should see that by the end of the year then it gets harder

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
At long last I have progress:

Your imperial Eddington Number is 115.
You need to do 9 ride(s) of at least 116 to increase it to 116.
You need to do 19 ride(s) of at least 117 to increase it to 117.
You need to do 31 ride(s) of at least 118 to increase it to 118.
You need to do 42 ride(s) of at least 120 to increase it to 120.
You need to do 138 ride(s) of at least 150 to increase it to 150.
You need to do 199 ride(s) of at least 200 to increase it to 200.

I had expected to be talking enthusiastically about plans for the future, but recent rides seem to have been an ever-increasing struggle, and ramblings about exciting new ideas would seem misplaced just at the moment. Maybe it's my tyres...
After our ride together yesterday (your 300th imperial century!!!!!!!) I began to question whether my lifetime target of E100 might be just a tad under ambitious! :okay:

Oxo

Guru
I did an E60 in my 60th year (60 60 miles in the year) and am considering trying to do an E65 in my 65th year in 3 years time. Current lifetime is E67. ( only started cycling at 45)
Only started this year and my current score is only 35. Is there a default setting I can change so that I can start at 45, or perhaps even 50?

ColinJ

Only started this year and my current score is only 35. Is there a default setting I can change so that I can start at 45, or perhaps even 50?
You have to plan ahead. Say you start aiming for 45 and get 45 rides of 45 miles in. You decide that it was fun and then aim for 50 ... you now have 50 more long rides to do! If you had planned ahead, you would probably have made the effort and done some 50+ milers as part of your 45 mile Eddington efforts.

This is what is both interesting and frustrating about Eddington. I did lots of rides about metric century distance (62 miles) so they got me up to E62 without making any special effort, but my rides longer than that are spread over 62-140 miles so reaching my E100 target is going to take me a long time, probably 5-10 years.

If I am contemplating doing a longish ride now, I think about Eddington, hours of daylight, the route and the weather. If I have lots of time, feel good, am doing a nice route, and have fine weather then I may very well extend the ride.

First target, a metric century. If I want to do more but not a full 100 miler, then I would probably aim for about 80 miles for an intermediate goal of E80.

If I am going to beat 80 miles then I will look seriously at doing 100 miles. Nickyboy's Scarborough ride on Saturday is about 82 miles and I am thinking of squeezing in another 18 miles somewhere.

I doubt that I will ever achieve much more than E100, but I will extend some of my E100 rides 'just in case'.

Aimlessly doing different distances is a recipe for Eddington stagnation. For example, any ride that I do now under 71 (?) miles counts for nothing in Eddington terms.

PK99

Legendary Member
Aimlessly doing different distances is a recipe for Eddington stagnation. For example, any ride that I do now under 71 (?) miles counts for nothing in Eddington terms.

Easy to get Eddington Obsessed instead of just enjoying the ride!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

This^^ and that's why I have said before that I don't actively chase after E numbers rather then let them happen. If I needed a couple of miles to put in the Eddington pot then I may do so but I'm certainly not going out of my way to chase them.

Last edited:

ColinJ

This^^ and that's why I have said before that I don't actively chase after E numbers rather then let them happen. If I needed a couple of miles to put in the Eddington pot then I may do so but I'm certainly not going out of my way to chase them.
Where I live, my typical rides average 100+ feet of climbing per mile and nearly always with lots of 10% and some 15-25%. That means that it is hard work for me to make inroads beyond E70.

Either I am going to do Eddington, or I am not. If I don't think about it I will probably drift up to the low 80s and get stuck there.

If I lived somewhere like Leighton Buzzard (where I did a forum ride on Sunday), I would probably be churning out imperial centuries because they *would* just happen as part of my casual cycling. I did 67 miles on that sunny ride and would likely have added the missing 33 miles but my family were expecting me back so I didn't. The thing is, there was only about 2,500 ft of climbing. My local Season of Mists audax will be coming up in less than 2 weeks time - same distance, nearer 8,000 ft of climbing, some at 20+%!

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Where I live, my typical rides average 100+ feet of climbing per mile and nearly always with lots of 10% and some 15-25%. That means that it is hard work for me to make inroads beyond E70.

Either I am going to do Eddington, or I am not. If I don't think about it I will probably drift up to the low 80s and get stuck there.

If I lived somewhere like Leighton Buzzard (where I did a forum ride on Sunday), I would probably be churning out imperial centuries because they *would* just happen as part of my casual cycling. I did 67 miles on that sunny ride and would likely have added the missing 33 miles but my family were expecting me back so I didn't. The thing is, there was only about 2,500 ft of climbing. My local Season of Mists audax will be coming up in less than 2 weeks time - same distance, nearer 8,000 ft of climbing, some at 20+%!

Same problem here. I just don't enjoy hilly rides more than about 60 miles (so about 6,000ft of climbing). It's just too hard. I'll just ride and enjoy myself and my Eddington (currently 58) may tick up by a couple. But I think I'm becalmed after that. There is certainly zero chance of getting into the 70s and 80s

Soltydog

Legendary Member
70 will probably be next year for me. Currently at 65, 6 rides of 68 needed to get to 68, so that'll be before the end of the year (summer if I get my finger out) but need 10 rides of 70miles to get there, so unless I do 2 70+ rides as well as my imperial centuries this year..... :blush:
I'm now at 68 & my next 2 70+ mile rides will see me hit 70 this year after all :smile:
Luckily it's rather flat here in East Yorkshire otherwise mine would be a lot lower, 101 miles today & 2200 ft of climbing ^_^

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I did 2,500ft in 18 miles today

Fancy a swap?

Errr ........ No thanks :laugh:
TBH it sometimes gets a bit boring riding on the flat all the time & sometimes wish there were some big hills nearer, but then when I want to go out all day & do 100, I'd struggle on the hills :blush:

Top Bottom