"Eddington Number"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I reckon for an imperial century, somewhere around 3,000ft total ascent is ideal! Some nice hills but generally rolling.
That is pretty much what the Manchester (imperial) 100 route in Cheshire is like. I used to average about 16-17 mph on that even when I was overweight and relatively unfit.

I have lost a lot of weight and am fitter now but could probably only manage 10-13 mph on hilly Yorkshire/Lancashire centuries (8,000-10,000 ft of ascent).

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I often think I live in one of the best possible locations for cycling, with a bit of everything on my doorstep. There are as many hills around as I could wish for, including some I'd never attempt - the ones that Audax and sportive organisers delight in sending people up! I can easily pick out an interesting and varied ride in any direction with no more than gentle rise and fall, but usually I try to satisfy honour with at least one decent climb. Looking at my list for this year, the most climbing I've done is 7138 ft in 121 miles. The average seems to be about 5000.

As for Eddington, health permitting I should make it to 120 in a few years. At the very outside 121 could be possible, but definitely no more before I run out of time. So any ride of 121 miles plus is all but guaranteed to be Eddington-proof, which is quite liberating.

There's also GPS-Eddington to consider. Only the last 58 centuries are recorded on GPS (Feb 2016 onwards) so my GE-number will steadily climb towards 100. In due course I may come to see this as the more relevant statistic. I think the highest it could ever reach is about 110 (a long way off) so there's no reason to despise rides that don't quite contribute to the next headline E-number.

For a slightly different objective, looking at GPS only I now have at least one ride of every distance between 100 and 130 except 107 and 127. Thereafter it becomes far more sparse - the only other number I have below 150 is 139. Completing the set from 100 to 150 looks to be a reasonable objective, and I'm thinking that for next year's century a month challenge, in the "months of plenty" (March to October) I'll aim for 130+ in each and see where that gets me.

Always Cross

Veteran
Hi everyone I keep 5 Edington numbers Overall number 45, annual number 26, ice trike 25, Thorn Raven 14 and an old 4 speed hub geared Rudge 14. I’m a bit technophobic so I keep it all in an old Woolies graph pad. Miles down the side and amount of times riden across the top. If one bike goes the pages are torn out. If I get a new bike that goes into the book. It just keeps me interested.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I've now finally hit a lifetime Eddington number of 50, as it has being creeping up gradually this year. If I do the Metric Century a Month Challenge again next year, my first 5 rides will each raise it by a notch, and there is an outside chance I'll hit 62 by the end of 2018. With only 1 imperial ton in the bag so far, there is absolutely 0% chance of me ever getting it to 100! I am in awe of anyone who can reach that figure, or who can do 50x50 in a single year!

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Just realised I need 2 more 50 mile rides to get a yearly Eddington number of 50! Maybe not much of an achievement but it cheered me up!

Well you better get out and do one before the Christmas ride :tongue:

50 50s in a the year is very impressive :bravo:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I continue to crawl upwards, I'm now at 42 with 3 needed to get to 43. Target is 50 by the end of the year, which is 25 more rides of 50+ miles. On a positive note, I only need 96 more to make it 100, which is 4 less than it was in January:smile:

Top Bottom