"Eddington Number"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Today's imperial ton gave me a new Eddington of 74 ,5 more for 75 . Slowly catching @ColinJ
Rapidly, more like! :laugh:

Now that MCL is no more, I will have to find a new way of keeping track...

I intend to coast up to 100 in the next 2 or 3 years and that will probably be that. It would be too much effort to boost it much beyond that unless I move to somewhere flatter!

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
After much typing data into an Excel spreadsheet and plotting lots of graphs I can reveal three plots which may be of some interest. The first plots is how my Imperial E number has progressed from the beginning. Here it is:-

1575828417788.png

I wonder if you can spot when I retired.............

Here's another plot where I've plotted the Imperial E number attained in each year starting from zero each year

1575828513767.png

When I started with the typing in 50+ years of data I found I needed 12 rides of 100+ to get E to 100. Last year I did 6 of them and this year I've only managed 5. So one more ride for E=100 for me. It's all going to get a bit difficult to raise that number now. Here's the plot of number of rides to gain whatever E number.

1575828708517.png

It's taken me a while to get around to post all this stuff but I hope it was worth the wait :wacko:

I only read this damn page a week or so ago, then had a think, a scratch, a think and then finally worked out my E number for this year, it is now a solid 50, a nice round number to be sure, BUT getting a 51 is 5 rides away!!!.
So then I tried my lifetime E ('since records began' or 2011 as it's known) and that's a 59 (well chuffed) AND only 2x60 for 60 :okay:.
But then a lifetime of 63 is 20 away :ohmy:, so then a metric E100 seemed easy! erm it's not, as the extra 20 doesn't work in metric does it! for a metric E100 it's another 57!! as my imp E63 is 20 rides, then the 37metric tons/tonnes.
I hate you all.

You do realise all this extra is probably what made Farage go over the edge with being European (sorry :laugh:).

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
https://cyclingrelated.uk/eddington/
@ColinJ try the above link you will have to linking to Strava
My cousin signed me up for Strava a couple of years ago while I was on holiday in Devon with him but. I only used it a couple of times and then just forgot about it. I'll have to have another look...

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Well, I'll be ending the year on an Imperial Eddington of 84. I need 26 more centuries to get it up to 100 and I doubt it will ever budge from there. That will take me a couple of years or so, fingers crossed. It might squeeze up to 101 maybe sometime if I make a special effort

Metric Eddington is 108. That has much more scope for continued interest as it won't plateau until 161, and I'm 88 days riding short of that. That should keep me going for a while.

That's all Mamil-era digital stuff. My pre-Mamil wooly-hat-and-toe-clips rides did include a few imperial centuries, but not really enough to trouble the scorers (two? three?). And I can't remember them exactly as I never kept records.

Back in those days 100 miles was only a distance I ever rode by mistake, having made a stupid decision en route or something like that. I never actually sat down and planned such a distance. 80 miles was my limit back then, with 60 being preferable.

Last edited:

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
With everything else having taken a back seat for now, I have found my Eddington climbing number to be a satisfying target. i have plenty of different hills close to home to make lots of local hilly exercise routes without having to do hill reps, which I really hate. Bumped up my metric climbing number from 295 to 300. It helps a little in that I am frustratingly only 2 rides away from metric 100km, would have long surpassed that if things were regular. But they're not so I'm only dwelling on the positives.^_^🌈☀⛰🚴‍♂️

Soltydog

Legendary Member
i have plenty of different hills close to home to make lots of local hilly exercise routes without having to do hill reps, which I really hate.
I'm not a fan of hill reps, but I'd love to be able to do some at the moment. Probably at least 20 miles to the nearest 'hill' for me & can't really justify cycling 20+ miles away from home :sad: I'll have to make up for it once this lock down is relaxed & crack on with some real hilly rides :okay:

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
I'm not a fan of hill reps, but I'd love to be able to do some at the moment. Probably at least 20 miles to the nearest 'hill' for me & can't really justify cycling 20+ miles away from home :sad: I'll have to make up for it once this lock down is relaxed & crack on with some real hilly rides :okay:
Yes, I'm very lucky where I am, 4 different hills within 2 km for starters. Several very hilly 20km loops that are no further than 10km from home at furthest point. I'd love to gift you a hill. I can also construct flat routes too.

Top Bottom