"Eddington Number"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Indeed
@T4tomo 30 mile to work and 30 miles back is a 60 miles in a day ride, so counts towards your totals.
Eddington is miles ridden, however many rides or gaps between them in a single day.

Yes i know, but I rely on veloviewer for my data, I guess i can mentally add 2 to VV eddington, but really I want to see 50 on the screen!

Willd

Veteran
44 :okay:

Actually went just over 80 miles yesterday (it was about 79.5, but I had to go round the block twice, as I thought I couldn't leave it at that ^_^), however, with only 3 rides over 80, it'll be a while before I get that far :rolleyes:

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
Two more to go to 106!
  • You need 2 more days (of 106 km or more) to achieve an Eddington number of 106
  • You need 8 more days (of 107 km or more) to achieve an Eddington number of 107
  • You need 13 more days (of 108 km or more) to achieve an Eddington number of 108
  • You need 19 more days (of 109 km or more) to achieve an Eddington number of 109
  • You need 20 more days (of 110 km or more) to achieve an Eddington number of 110
  • You need 22 more days (of 111 km or more) to achieve an Eddington number of 111
  • You need 25 more days (of 112 km or more) to achieve an Eddington number of 112
  • You need 29 more days (of 113 km or more) to achieve an Eddington number of 113
  • You need 31 more days (of 114 km or more) to achieve an Eddington number of 114
  • You need 32 more days (of 115 km or more) to achieve an Eddington number of 11
Think I need to make sure 115km is default on 100 rides, not just 110.

Climbing goes up quire regularly, but 28 more to get to 400m:wacko:

Willd

Veteran
46 :okay:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Currently 96
1 more 97+ mile rides to make 97
8 more 100+ mile rides to make 100

Then things get rather hard!

19 101+ for 101 :sad:
34 102+ for 102 :ohmy:
48 103+ rides for 103 :surrender:
92 110+ rides for 110:eek:

I think I may stop looking at my Eddington number once I hit 100. Imperial at least. The kilometre version should continue creeping up.

Last edited:

C R

Guru
Have a look here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Eddington#Eddington_number_for_cycling

An Eddington number of 115 means that @ianrauk has completed 115 rides of at least 115 miles each. That is a phenomenal achievement. A mere mortal like me is languishing at an Eddington number of 43.

I was being optimistic here. I'm 2 rides short of the 43, hopefully will get that in September. Then I need 15 rides over 44 to get that one and 22 over 45 for 45, may manage it by the end of next year.

50 is a distant prospect at the moment, with 46 50+ rides needed.

Gwylan

Veteran
Hardly out of single figures.
Cycling to the Post Office and local shops destroys the figures.

Basing the number on an MAT, moving annual total might be more sensible.
So on any day the E number is based on the achievement of the previous 365 days. The real pedants can go in a corner a d deal with the odd day in a leap year.
The objective would be to keep the E number increasing.

One must quite quickly tend to a limiting value. Somewhere in the region of 200 would be pretty good going
Any more and you might have to wonder about it.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler

So on any day the E number is based on the achievement of the previous 365 days. The real pedants can go in a corner a d deal with the odd day in a leap year.

One must quite quickly tend to a limiting value. Somewhere in the region of 200 would be pretty good going

Something based on annual totals and moving averages might be interesting in its own right, but it wouldn't be Eddington. It would be something very different.

What's nice about E numbers are that they are a lifetime achievement. I'm counting one ride in mine that I did so long ago I've forgotten what year it was. 1979 I think (My first ever 100 miler).

Last edited:

C R

Guru

Short rides have no detrimental effect on the Eddington number. The definition of the number actually refers to the distance achieved in a day, not a single ride, so if you do a sixty mile ride in the morning and a five mile ride to the post office it would count as a 65 for the purposes of the Eddington number.

Gwylan

Veteran
Short rides have no detrimental effect on the Eddington number. The definition of the number actually refers to the distance achieved in a day, not a single ride, so if you do a sixty mile ride in the morning and a five mile ride to the post office it would count as a 65 for the purposes of the Eddington number.

But I don't do many long runs. A couple of 20+ during the week. Never more than 40 these days. That's as far as the management wants to manage.

Top Bottom