1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eddy Merckx Team Panasonic 1985, a classic reborn

Discussion in 'Vintage and Classic Bikes' started by booze and cake, 4 Jan 2018.

Tags:
  1. Edgy Dee

Edgy Dee Active Member

Never mind the 'love' emoji, where's the 'green-with-envy-I-want-your-bike' emoji!?
    Beautifully curated project. Inspirational. Thanks for posting.

Mrs M and booze and cake like this.
  2. OP
    OP
    booze and cake

booze and cake probably out cycling

Thanks very much everyone:okay: Eddy seems to be regarded as a bit of a looker. I've just been out for another blast around town and can confirm I already love riding this bike and despite cold fingers I was grinning like a Cheshire cat all the way round^_^. @BalkanExpress thanks for the links, those Oakley sunnies are super cool and looks like they can double up as ski googles^_^

And yes @dan_bo I agree I go totally weak for Shamals, those bulbous hubs alone are works of art
    rsgqyjU.jpg
    ...but they can go for silly money now on eBay for a good set. Thankfully I got mine at nothing like the current going rate, but I often see them go for £400-500 for a pair, which for 20 year old second hand wheels is pretty amazing, and surely more than what they cost when they were released new:wacko:. In view of the current mad prices and with the resurgence of people building up steel bikes and lots of custom steel frame makers, I honestly don't know why Campagnolo does'nt start making them again, they'd make a killing. They are not especially light by modern standards but in addition to being the most pretty wheelset ever in my opinion, they are strong, and when up to speed they really do keep speed well and you really fly along, I can why racers and TT'ers liked them.

And here's a pics from today's ride where Eddy was drawn to another fellow shiny thing^_^
    0jr0fkg.jpg

EDIT: and I've already bought a Team Panasonic cap and was wearing it today, on the look out for the jersey next^_^

Last edited: 6 Jan 2018
    Illaveago, Mort, raleighnut and 2 others like this.
  3. Alan O

Alan O Über Member

Wow, as shiny things go, that's the nicest I've seen in a long time. :okay:

Illaveago, booze and cake and Mrs M like this.
  4. Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Just fabulous!!! Dribble.....

Illaveago and booze and cake like this.
  5. Maenchi

Maenchi StoneDog

very very nice bikes makes me wish i'd still got my old racing bike, just had to add my compliments to you on your top job on them ..:okay::smile::becool:...

booze and cake likes this.
  6. PHL67

PHL67 Well-Known Member

What a fantastic job. Well done. I find it so satisfying when the build is complete and you see an as new piece of history in front of you. Time and effort put in is all worth the wait. Keep adding to your collection.

booze and cake likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    booze and cake

booze and cake probably out cycling

Thanks again everyone, I agree @PHL67 it is a very satisfying experience, especially riding it at the end. I've put about 200 miles on it now and am yet to stop smiling, its really comfortable, I've attacked some hills both up and down, fast, and its confidence inspiring from the off, it feels like I've owned it for ages. I can't wait for the weather to get a bit nicer, a ride to the seaside and back beckons.

gilespargiter, PHL67 and Alan O like this.