Eddy Merckx Team Panasonic 1985, a classic reborn

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Nice jersey @Hugh Manatee :okay:

As for the tyres, you mean the Vittoria Corsa G+? I must say I'm really impressed with them, they are much longer lasting than the Velofex's and have nearly lasted as long as Michelin Power Endurance and their predecessor Michelin Pro4 Endurance which were my go-to tyre before. They've lasted better than I expected for a 'race' tyre, I've still got that set on the Merckx from last May and I've only had one puncture in that time, and on occasion I've ridden some rocky and muddy bridleways way out of their comfort zone with no problem. They definitely don't look as clean as they do in the above pic, but I'm not that much of a clean freak I bother cleaning tyres:laugh:

I also have to say they are as fast as they say they are, definitely the fastest tyres I've ridden. Switching back to Pro4 Endurance I have on my Simoncini they feel really draggy now in comparison, as do the Vittoria Open Pave I have on another bike. I was so impressed with them I bought another pair for my Denti while they were on offer at Merlin. Alas the tanwall in 25's on offer have all gone at Merlin and elsewhere from what I can see, as I'm in the market for some more for my Rourke^_^. I still think the full RRP is a bit much so I'm waiting for them to come up on offer somewhere again.

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
I recently got a bit more history on this frame from a knowledgeable fellow on Bikeforums.net.

I sent him a pic of the bottom bracket...
U3F0lCw.jpg

.....and asked if he was able to provide any more info than what I had, which was only that I thought it was made in 1985 and it is made from Columbus SLX tubing. I also asked if he had any ideas as to why there is no 'Eddy Merckx' stamp on the top of the seat-stays like most other Merckx' of the period, and why it had a full rear chrome triangle unlike nearly every other Team Panasonic Merckx I've ever seen. Turns out the X on the left hand side of the bottom bracket denotes 'prototype'. This is the reply I got back:

"Beautiful and interesting frame; this is the EM Pro SLX (model later renamed Corsa Extra) from autumn 1985, one of the initial Panasonic "camo" (two track frames for Panasonic cyclists - Hans Lubberding and Bert Oosterbosch - for the 1986 season were marked Z4586 and Z4590; your frame was built the next day - probably
smile.gif
Additional chroming of the frame elements was an option (similar to the brake cable inside the top tube ... and number hanger btw). The "narrow" geometry of the rear triangle (without seatstay caps) and v.1 Silva brake bridge with v.2 inscription Eddy Merckx - everything fits together perfectly. The Pro SLX prototype series (the X designation for Columbus SLX EMC was introduced in mid 1985 ~ Z4000)"

Always nice to know a bit more of the history. I have put a few 1000 miles on this bike and still absolutely love it, a keeper for sure.
Y67fYPp.jpg

Last edited:
Ohh, that’s interesting and makes a lot of sense: the X marking on the bottom bracket was later used for the Corsa Extras.

I didn’t look closely at the seat stays before, one tiny question, you are certain that the frame is SLX, (I cannot see the remains of the transfer clearly) I ask because I have seen the same in very similar on 753 framed Merckx's. I will see if I can did out a catalogue pic

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
I recently got a bit more history on this frame from a knowledgeable fellow on Bikeforums.net.

I sent him a pic of the bottom bracket...
View attachment 476024
.....and asked if he was able to provide any more info than what I had, which was only that I thought it was made in 1985 and it is made from Columbus SLX tubing. I also asked if he had any ideas as to why there is no 'Eddy Merckx' stamp on the top of the seat-stays like most other Merckx' of the period, and why it had a full rear chrome triangle unlike nearly every other Team Panasonic Merckx I've ever seen. Turns out the X on the left hand side of the bottom bracket denotes 'prototype'. This is the reply I got back:

"Beautiful and interesting frame; this is the EM Pro SLX (model later renamed Corsa Extra) from autumn 1985, one of the initial Panasonic "camo" (two track frames for Panasonic cyclists - Hans Lubberding and Bert Oosterbosch - for the 1986 season were marked Z4586 and Z4590; your frame was built the next day - probably View attachment 476025 Additional chroming of the frame elements was an option (similar to the brake cable inside the top tube ... and number hanger btw). The "narrow" geometry of the rear triangle (without seatstay caps) and v.1 Silva brake bridge with v.2 inscription Eddy Merckx - everything fits together perfectly. The Pro SLX prototype series (the X designation for Columbus SLX EMC was introduced in mid 1985 ~ Z4000)"

Always nice to know a bit more of the history. I have put a few 1000 miles on this bike and still absolutely love it, a keeper for sure.
View attachment 476026

Bloody marvellous.

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Ohh, that’s interesting and makes a lot of sense: the X marking on the bottom bracket was later used for the Corsa Extras.

I didn’t look closely at the seat stays before, one tiny question, you are certain that the frame is SLX, (I cannot see the remains of the transfer clearly) I ask because I have seen the same in very similar on 753 framed Merckx's. I will see if I can did out a catalogue pic

Hi @BalkanExpress yes the frame did have a almost totally faded decal just below the seat-stay and seat tube junction, that had SLX still legible on it. And before the bottom bracket went in I recall the inside of the seat tube had the trademark rifling.

That other Merckx on the link is lovely. I've never had the chance before but have always wanted to ride a 753 frame to see how it compares to others in the Reynolds range. Also I have a vague recollection that you don't see chroming on 753 frames, is it harder to do, or not suitable I'm not sure, but I'm sure I've heard that somewhere before.

EDIT according to this link it seems Reynolds themselves advise against chroming 753, it seems there are concerns about its longevity. Despite that there seems to be 753 out there that is chromed so I'm not sure. Also 753 was designed as an ultra-light weight steel frame, so covering large sections of it in chrome would add unnecessary weight, so maybe it was not often done because of that, rather than longevity/safety concerns. Link here: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=149297

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
@AuroraSaab thanks very much. I was out on the bike in all the kit today, well not the jacket^_^. Thanks to eBay I've managed to get kit from some far flung corners of the world, but have not found any team Panasonic socks or gloves......yet.^_^

AuroraSaab

Veteran
I actually had a quick Google to see if any kit was going, but, as you say, there's a few jerseys from eastern Europe on ebay but not socks or gloves. They are probably the things that get worn out and binned first.

avecReynolds531

Veteran
Thanks for this thread - very much enjoyed reading it. The Merckx is stunning beautiful - congrats on such a great bike.

p.s. appreciated the link to the Robert Millar High Life documentary too - I'd forgotten all about it. Fascinating & nostalgic.

Top Bottom