Eddy Merckx Team Panasonic 1985, a classic reborn

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PHL67

Veteran
Thanks again everyone, I agree @PHL67 it is a very satisfying experience, especially riding it at the end. I've put about 200 miles on it now and am yet to stop smiling, its really comfortable, I've attacked some hills both up and down, fast, and its confidence inspiring from the off, it feels like I've owned it for ages. I can't wait for the weather to get a bit nicer, a ride to the seaside and back beckons.
I live at the seaside and love to ride in the area. Cannot wait to start riding again now my knees done. Help me to lose some weight.

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
A couple of changes to the bike. I was having problems keeping the Athena headset tight, and aesthetically it was letting the side down a bit, so I've replaced that with a nice Record headset.

And I had a bit of an incident with the tanwall Veloflex tyres. They are lovely.....for about 1000 miles, and then they just puncture on the tiniest flints. I had 3 punctures on one ride and acquired a cut in the front. When I got home I filled the hole in the tyres with some Orange Seal latex solution which I had put in my latex tubes, and left it to set overnight. In the morning it seemed like a good fix, so put in the tube and pumped it up, got to 80psi and BANG!!!! Proper gunshot loud, I half expected the coppers gun unit to arrive in minutes. The latex tube had pushed its way through the hole and exploded, like something out of an Alien film, and pebble-dashed the hallway with orange latex snot, eeeeek what a mess. Frantic tidying ensured before the latex set. Tyre hole now much bigger and tyre rendered officially dead.

I do 1000 miles a month at this time of year, so nice though the Veloflex rode and looked, a pair of tyres a month is daft and out of my price range. I can't quite yet bring myself to get some fat Marathon's, and do like the look of tan wall tyres, so thanks to them being on offer at Merlin I've fitted some Vittoria Corsa graphene tyres. I'm not sure I believe all the graphene hype, we shall see, I shall report back. The tan walls are lighter in colour and the tyres feels a lot thicker at the contact point with the road, so I'm hopeful these will last longer. They look great, and assuming there is no more rain left in the sky after the last few days, I'm to get out to some country lanes on it over the next week.
oqL4N4y.jpg

Alan O

Über Member
A couple of changes to the bike. I was having problems keeping the Athena headset tight, and aesthetically it was letting the side down a bit, so I've replaced that with a nice Record headset.

And I had a bit of an incident with the tanwall Veloflex tyres. They are lovely.....for about 1000 miles, and then they just puncture on the tiniest flints. I had 3 punctures on one ride and acquired a cut in the front. When I got home I filled the hole in the tyres with some Orange Seal latex solution which I had put in my latex tubes, and left it to set overnight. In the morning it seemed like a good fix, so put in the tube and pumped it up, got to 80psi and BANG!!!! Proper gunshot loud, I half expected the coppers gun unit to arrive in minutes. The latex tube had pushed its way through the hole and exploded, like something out of an Alien film, and pebble-dashed the hallway with orange latex snot, eeeeek what a mess. Frantic tidying ensured before the latex set. Tyre hole now much bigger and tyre rendered officially dead.

I do 1000 miles a month at this time of year, so nice though the Veloflex rode and looked, a pair of tyres a month is daft and out of my price range. I can't quite yet bring myself to get some fat Marathon's, and do like the look of tan wall tyres, so thanks to them being on offer at Merlin I've fitted some Vittoria Corsa graphene tyres. I'm not sure I believe all the graphene hype, we shall see, I shall report back. The tan walls are lighter in colour and the tyres feels a lot thicker at the contact point with the road, so I'm hopeful these will last longer. They look great, and assuming there is no more rain left in the sky after the last few days, I'm to get out to some country lanes on it over the next week.
View attachment 407030
That really is one of the most beautiful bikes I've ever seen - and yes, it definitely needs tan/cream wall tyres!

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
@Alan O haha don't know about that, but thanks very much. And all put together for much less than the cost of a new bike too. I was on it in the sunshine this afternoon and it dazzles, and gets more admiring glances and nods than any bike I've ever owned.

And @BalkanExpress wow that's amazing, I don't suppose you managed to get a pic did you? I'd be jumping around the shop/house with excitement if I saw that. I've just seen your new Lemond TSX too, lovely, and a real bargain:okay:.

woodbutcher

Veteran
@Alan O haha don't know about that, but thanks very much. And all put together for much less than the cost of a new bike too. I was on it in the sunshine this afternoon and it dazzles, and gets more admiring glances and nods than any bike I've ever owned.

And @BalkanExpress wow that's amazing, I don't suppose you managed to get a pic did you? I'd be jumping around the shop/house with excitement if I saw that. I've just seen your new Lemond TSX too, lovely, and a real bargain:okay:.
Balkan Express c'mon you have a Lemond TSX where have you posted photos ? l would love to see it :smile:

woodbutcher

Veteran
@woodbutcher @BalkanExpress has it hiding in plain sight in the 'this time I know how it happened thread', here you go: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/this-time-i-know-how-it-happened.233561/
Oh boy B Express "B stole it" l am so envious :sad: l will go and look at my TVT Carbone to cheer myself up !!

Oh boy B Express "B stole it" l am so envious :sad: l will go and look at my TVT Carbone to cheer myself up !!

I’d be very happy looking at a TVT:laugh:.

The Lemond purchase was an odd one. The initial description was poor and there only a couple of photos from a distance. No bids for 3-4 days, so I contacted the seller and deed for more pictures. These went up in the ad, but, despite it being clear what the bike is, there were still no bids. I offered the minimum bid and in a couple of hours he said yes:okay:.

Not “stolen” as such because he was the original owner and knew exactly what he had. I think he just wanted it to go to a good home and when i mentioned I was a Robert Millar fan the deal was done.

@booze and cake , sorry, first for the thread hijack and second because I did not get a photo:shy:

woodbutcher

Veteran
I’d be very happy looking at a TVT:laugh:.

The Lemond purchase was an odd one. The initial description was poor and there only a couple of photos from a distance. No bids for 3-4 days, so I contacted the seller and deed for more pictures. These went up in the ad, but, despite it being clear what the bike is, there were still no bids. I offered the minimum bid and in a couple of hours he said yes:okay:.

Not “stolen” as such because he was the original owner and knew exactly what he had. I think he just wanted it to go to a good home and when i mentioned I was a Robert Millar fan the deal was done.

@booze and cake , sorry, first for the thread hijack and second because I did not get a photo:shy:
I meant no dodgy implication using the "stolen" word, it was in common use among antique dealers of my acquaintance many years ago and just meant that you had bought something for a really good price and they were a bit envious :smile: and the bike has definitely gone to the right place !!

I meant no dodgy implication using the "stolen" word, it was in common use among antique dealers of my acquaintance many years ago and just meant that you had bought something for a really good price and they were a bit envious :smile: and the bike has definitely gone to the right place !!

No problem, I knew what you meant. It was certainly a steal, but one where both parties were fully aware of what was happening. (Unless it’s the SL version and he has done me:eek:).

There is probably a whole thread to be written about buying from uninformed sellers, but that is for another day.

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Ever since the crap Chinese jersey copy experience from the previous page, I've been on the look out for a proper original Team Panasonic jersey. I've seen ones with Raleigh and Isotar branding which Team Panasonic moved to after the single year they rode Merckx frames, but not any from the Merckx time. And then on eBay at the turn of the year I found one located in the Ukraine, so quickly snapped it up. It arrived today^_^.
XvleQFq.jpg

I had already bought a reproduction cap, but after a few washes it had faded, and then I saw an original one located in Switzerland that looked in top condition, so I simply had to have that too.
NtVbbk7.jpg

I already have the rain jacket I got from the Isle of Wight last year.
DSYRDV1.jpg

I think that's as much kit as I'm going to find, as I've never seen any Team Panasonic shorts, gloves or socks, but if anyone ever sees any please let me know and I'll be sure to snap them up.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
What was your verdict on the tyres? I have been using a set and the sidewall seems to be deteriorating quicker than I would like. Considering the price....

I was a Pansonic team fan back in the day as well. Looking at this, I cannot believe I used to be able to fit in it!

image.jpeg

Top Bottom