Edinburgh ice casualty

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Came off the bike 5 times this morning on the way in - pure sheet ice ! Even puting a foot down to stop me falling off was useless as that just slipped away from under me too and down I went.

One shredded bar end, one hole in jersey sleeve, one chunk out of new saddle, one rear mudguard snapped off, one rear light bracket snapped off, one plug lost off bar end, rear derailleur possibly bent / broken.... I'll know the true extent of the damage when I get it home and look at it in the light.

Me - bumps and bruises only.

Be careful out there, Edinburgh cyclists. Another cyclist from work landed heavily on his shoulder and is going off to have it x-rayed, another was hit by a sliding car and taken off.

Guess I won't make my last 40 miles this week that would have taken me to 4000 miles :tongue:

Ouch! Glad your ok Goo, that doesn't sound fun at all.

All we have down here is a tint of frost.

So you won't be going for studded tyres and soldiering on?

Bad luck goo. I hope the bike doesn't cost too much to put right. I also hope your bumps and bruises heal quickly.

It's not quite as icy here in the West, and I am still waiting to get my bike back from the LBS anyway :tongue:.

On a lighter note just imagine all the really good footage you would have had if you had had a helmet camera :angry:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
funnily enough walking kids up to school this morning it was very slipppery, I hope it thaws out a bit for my journey in this afternoon.

Maz

Guru
That's painful, GM. Were you on a path, btw? Would it have been safer on the road?

Unlucky goo mate.
I never saw any Ice today but I don't leave the flat til around 8am and I stick to the road at this time of year. Granton Road, Ferry Road, Inverleith Row, Brandon Terrace, Dundas St, George St. Given your experiences what areas were bad this morning for you?

domtyler

Über Member
goo_mason said:
Came off the bike 5 times this morning on the way in - pure sheet ice ! Even puting a foot down to stop me falling off was useless as that just slipped away from under me too and down I went.

One shredded bar end, one hole in jersey sleeve, one chunk out of new saddle, one rear mudguard snapped off, one rear light bracket snapped off, one plug lost off bar end, rear derailleur possibly bent / broken.... I'll know the true extent of the damage when I get it home and look at it in the light.

Be careful out there, Edinburgh cyclists. Another cyclist from work landed heavily on his shoulder and is going off to have it x-rayed, another was hit by a sliding car and taken off.

Guess I won't make my last 40 miles this week that would have taken me to 4000 miles :angry:

Eeye, y'wee jessy. Just pick yourself up and carry on for goodness sake. :tongue:

domtyler said:
Eeye, y'wee jessy. Just pick yourself up and carry on for goodness sake. :tongue:

Oi! That's my line to use or not use when I feel appropriate! It is under trademark (I have all the spellings under trademark even the badly ones that incorrectly spelted :angry:) so you will be hearing from my lawer soon.

Patrick how much do your services cost......oo-er

Tetedelacourse

goo_mason said:

Guess I won't make my last 40 miles this week that would have taken me to 4000 miles :tongue:

Nae luck mate!:tongue: Well, once or twice is unlucky, 5 times is the sign of dogmatism prevailing over common sense!:angry:

I walked the dog at 6.30 this morning, fully intending to cycle in. When I took the mutt out and got dragged literally along my street on sheet ice I decided against it. The main roads seemed OK but I'd definitely have been off. Reading your post has assured me that I made the right decision. Strange thing is is wasn't the coldest morning this morning, but must have been in the night, plus the right amount of moisture to ice everything up.

Of course, you'll be fine on the way home but if I were you I'd double check to make sure that Jeremy Beadle isn't nearby in a disguise.

That's got me wondering. Why did Beadle always disguise himself with a beard? He always had a beard. Hmmm....

Top Bottom