Edinburgh- relocation, local advice please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My eldest has just secured a fantastic opportunity with M&S on their Level 4 Higher Apprenticeship scheme. There were 19000 applications, 600 went to assessment days and 50 people have been successful. My girl is one of them. Beyond proud!

However. The opportunity is in Edinburgh and we live in Newcastle so she is going to have to up sticks and move there. What I'm looking for is some local knowledge on areas to consider for her to live. On her budget she's going to be looking at a house share in an area easy for her to get into the city centre.

Anyone help please?

AndyRM

XOXO
First off, congratulations, that's some achievement!

Assuming she'll not be driving (or I suppose for the purposes of my post cycling), somewhere with a regular bus route into the city is a must. Fortunately the Edinburgh bus service is generally excellent.

Gorgie, Dalry, Stockbridge, Morningside and Leith are all great in different ways, other options a bit further afield would be Portobello, Musselburgh and Queensferry. Even further out you could look at Dunfermline or Livingston.

One thing to bear in mind is that there is a large student population so places tend to go quickly.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
If your daughter is happy to live out of the city she could consider any of the borders towns located on or near the Borders Railway.

I know it may not appeal to all young people but the re-opening of this line makes the commute from the Borders to Edinburgh very easy. My wife is from Galashiels so I’m very familiar with the general area.

Jimidh

Veteran
As above regarding Gorgie Dalry etc but also Newington, merchiston and Bruntsfield. Lots of shared housing for students and young professionals in those areas plus good bars etc.

Walking distance into town and also on bus routes.

Good luck to her it's a great city for a youngster.

Top Bottom