Educate or prosecute?

What would you opt for?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Following my RTC a few weeks back, the police have contacted me today to say they have charged the driver with 'Driving Without Due Care and Attention'. They wanted my thoughts of whether he should undergo a driver training course or be prosecuted. I have already told them my preference but wondered what others would choose and why?

sabian92

Über Member
Prosecute - the raised insurance premiums and the fact they get a criminal record should teach them enough not to be a dick behind the wheel.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Prosecute.

Why? I did a Driver Education Course 2 years ago - the people there were mostly not interested but did it to avoid the points. The majority couldn't be bothered learning anything. It was helpful for me. Not the course, but the driving session with an instructor. And no, I've not had a bump since.

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
Prosecute. As DCLane says, the 'education' is simply to get out of getting the points. I think most people know what is considered poor driving, but they do it anyway for whatever reason, and.everyone's heard the excuses. Hope you're on the mend!

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
I have to admit, I'm kinda torn. I went for prosecute. My motivating factor being similar to whats been said before as regards the attitude of some towards education. However...
Depends on the severity of the offence
As with speed awareness courses, they're only offerred to those who've been 'a bit' over the speed limit' They're the ones they believe can be educated, whose attitude needs only a minor adjustment. The 30mph over the limit drivers don't get the offer.
Education may foster some understanding, and a princely sum for enrolling on the course does the same function as a fine?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
middleagedcyclist says they were elderly.

It could be that prosecuting them ends their driving career. Whether that's a good or a bad thing who is to say. Something to consider.

lulubel

Über Member
If it's a choice of one or the other, I'd say prosecute, which is what I voted for, but like others here, I think it should be a combination of both. Fine, points, and education on how not to get another fine and more points in future.

lulubel

Über Member
middleagedcyclist says they were elderly.

It could be that prosecuting them ends their driving career. Whether that's a good or a bad thing who is to say. Something to consider.

Yes, it could. And if it does, it will be because they're a danger to other road users and shouldn't be driving.

akb

Veteran
I'd say prosecute. I know maybe slightly different, but I attended a driver awareness course in May after being caught speeding. Whilst I took a lot out of it, there were plenty of other people who couldnt give a toss about what was being said and were there to avoid points.
Prosecution should hopefully be a wake up call.

I am still of the opinion that 'the elderly' should have to re-sit their test or complete a compuslory driving course at a certain age OR after driving for a certain amount of time. The majority are a nuisance on the road IMHO.

StuartG

slower but further
The bottom line is to improve driving behaviour not revenge. I don't think it should matter a toss what we or the Daily Mail think. If one of these options has a lower recidivist rate then that's the logical one to go for. But which one is it? The stats should say ...

Top Bottom