Education Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Yes, I was gob-smacked when I worked out how much it would cost to do a degree - £5000 for each of three levels (120 credits x 3).

This is as a direct result of the Govt's HE policy and in my opinion will deter retired people like me from studying - and perhaps a whole lot of others as well. I think DZ's suggestion about Maastricht is a good one - far cheaper and just as good quality.

I am not sure where the £5000 goes neither. The books and materials do not cost that much. I assume everyone studying the same course gets the same questions. I suppose the questions have to be marked by tutors, except the Computer Marked Assignments don't. We used to get the odd tutor group, but they weren't frequent or really necessary. There is also the setting, marking and organising the exams, but I still do not see it coming to £5000.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I've just passed my post-graduate course :smile:

I did a 2 year weekend lectures course at Kingston University (polytechnic), I've got a *cough* full-time job and a family, it was bloody hard work though and I'm not sure I'd fancy doing it again. My work paid for mine which made it a bit cheaper (it was £5k IIRC). You could get in on this course with relevant experience and no degree - just need an interview with the course director although I rec if you've the cash they'll more than likely take you on.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
It depends what you're doing it for. I'm a university lecturer but also teach/mark professional qualifications.

If a degree is a pre-requisite for promotion, then you'll probably need one.
If a professional qualification will do the same, I'd suggest those.

Note that you can use some professional qualifications for advanced standing; i.e. do the professional qualification which has been matched to degree levels and then use it to miss out some of the year(s) in the degree. That means it'll take less time and cost less.

What's the industry area you're looking at? I can advise re. marketing/business but outside that it's beyond my knowledge.

david1701

If you're thinking OU, start a course ASAP as if you are on the course and have said youre doing a degree before the end of the summer then you pay at the old rates. A huge difference as 120 credits is 3 grand ish rather than 9 grand ish. Look quickly then leap if its the right thing. A load of 10 credit modules start in may with april sign ups, I'm on an intro to photography one starting next month as a prelude to a design/art degree (I'm a freelance photographer so I'm hoping I can do module 1 :tongue:)

My degree is an open degree (I can study any module I like) because I intend to remain a freelancer and that flexiblity is good for me, you might prefer a more rigid course that has a name. Depends on what you need

pepecat

Some unis do undergrad degrees part time, but its not generally the case cos they're so used to tailoring to 18 year olds. Uni webistes will usually tell you if they offer any degrees part time. Post grad degrees are much more likely to be offered both full and part time - my MA was part time and run in the evenings precisely to attract working people or those with commitments during the day.

Top Bottom