Education Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Morning all, trust me are well.

I need to get me a degree, now, being someone who is "un-educated" I am wondering what the options are, is there a way to do it "part time" so I could fit it in around work, sort of a night course, if you will ?

What sort of costs are involved ?

Thanks

Gaz

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
3 years isnt much in the scheme of things, it still puts me under 35

but £15k !!!!!

Ouch

Thanks for the info

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Why do you need a degree? Have you looked at professional qualifications? They are often cheaper and better. I have a degree and two professional qualifications.

The degree was next to useless in helping me at work where as the professional qualifications have helped me get on.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Why do you need a degree? Have you looked at professional qualifications? They are often cheaper and better. I have a degree and two professional qualifications.

The degree was next to useless in helping me at work where as the professional qualifications have helped me get on.

I'd echo getting a professional qualification - far more use !

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
The Open University might be one option - set up to deliver flexible distance learning programmes. The OU website is fairly comprehensive - sets out methods of study as well as the wide range of courses available. In essence you can follow the traditional method where you select a topic - for example Sociology - and then follow a prescribed pathway. Or you can build up modules until you've got the right number of credits and then claim a generic degree. Either way, I suspect it will take 3+ years.

It's not cheap - at the last count, I have a feeling that getting and honours degree will cost about £15,000. The OU sadly have been caught up in the fee hike caused by the Coalition.

Good luck

It took me six years, although you can get credit for any study you've done elsewhere. £15,000 though :ohmy: The modules cost me something in the region of £200 to £300 each. I doubt the whole lot cost me much more than £1500.

Mrs ArDee did her degree and Masters through the OU, very good courses. Although, trying to get an OU degree in 3 years around work would be adventurous as it would be equivalent to full time with the number of hours you'd need to put in. if you're working better to split it over a number of years like YF.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I like the OU courses - text books and content tend to be good quality. Though there's less face-to-face tutor support than there used to be.

The main thing I don't like is that their courses run from Feb to Oct so you spend all summer stuck indoors studying - I much prefer studying during the winter.

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Sadly, it seems, that the only route into what I want to do, is a degree, shame really, will investigate further, the perils of being uneducated kids, dont follow my lead and discover alcohol and woman once you have GCSE's

Arch

Married to Night Train
On the other hand kids, don't be forced into going to university and do a subject you don't really care about, just for the sake of doing a degree and then find you're no better off, and possibly in credit card or overdraft debt.

I'd say it's often better to be doing a degree when you're older - you're more focussed, more used to working hard, more sure of what you want to do, more able to work to deadlines. Higher Education is wasted on a lot of kids, when they come straight from college.

The only benefit an adult now would see to studying early are that they might be old enough that as a kid they'd have got grants and no tuition fees, whereas now they have to pay up.

I'm an OU graduate (paid for myself, while working), and a graduate of full time university education as a mature student. When I came to York (12 years ago), I got a student loan, and my home LEA paid my fees, because I'd not been a student 'first time round'. I don't know if that still applies. Yeah, I have a student loan which I'm not paying off because I don't earn enough, and if I make it to 55 in that state, it's written off (that age changed I believe). I don't really regard it as debt. If I earned over the threashold, it'd just be another deduction. I had an overdraft ad some debt to family, which I paid off once I gave it up (part way through a PhD) and got a job.

Arch

Married to Night Train
On the other hand kids, don't be forced into going to university and do a subject you don't really care about, just for the sake of doing a degree and then find you're no better off, and possibly in credit card or overdraft debt.

I'd say it's often better to be doing a degree when you're older - you're more focussed, more used to working hard, more sure of what you want to do, more able to work to deadlines. Higher Education is wasted on a lot of kids, when they come straight from college.

The only benefit an adult now would see to studying early are that they might be old enough that as a kid they'd have got grants and no tuition fees, whereas now they have to pay up.

I'm an OU graduate (paid for myself, while working), and a graduate of full time university education as a mature student. When I came to York (12 years ago), I got a student loan, and my home LEA paid my fees, because I'd not been a student 'first time round'. I don't know if that still applies. Yeah, I have a student loan which I'm not paying off because I don't earn enough, and if I make it to 55 in that state, it's written off (that age changed I believe). I don't really regard it as debt. If I earned over the threashold, it'd just be another deduction. I had an overdraft ad some debt to family, which I paid off once I gave it up (part way through a PhD) and got a job.

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
It's a good point, had I gone into it at that age, after discovering women/beer then I suspect it would have been an epic waste of everyone's time

Top Bottom