eek! too windy to cycle?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Does anyone else get that feeling of guilt when they don't go out. It's a measure of how cycling has changed me, I guess. I used to do zero exercise. In the last seven days I've ridden 75 miles and had an hour of football, and yet I feel guilty for staying off the bike today.
Yip, I'm sitting here looking out the window at the sunshine and keep on trying to reassure myself that I'd be blown away the second I stepped out the door. I might go on the turbo later to ease some of the guilt but it is so boring.

Klaus

Hoping to go out on Sunday morning, need to change front tube and tyre first, probably by then I will know whether it's worth trying ....
Yes ... I feel a bit restless when I can't get out for whatever reason. Used to do a few miles during lunch hour most days but work demands have been such over the past couple of months just didn't get the time.

betty swollocks

large member
I love cycling when it's very very windy. You have to make the mental adjustment that you're not going anywhere fast (unless it's at your tail) and then go out and enjoy being bashed and buffeted.
:blush: Makes you feel all elemental.

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
I love cycling when it's very very windy. You have to make the mental adjustment that you're not going anywhere fast (unless it's at your tail) and then go out and enjoy being bashed and buffeted.
:blush: Makes you feel all elemental.

Damnit - you talked me into it! Right - quick blast up to the moor and back.

Svendo

Guru
Yep, pretty windy today. 53.5 mph from Windy Hill down to M62 junc 22 at Rishworth Moor. Verrrry slow back up Cragg Vale into the wind. Not too gusty but what made it a real challenge was the driving rain. 33.95 miles, normally I'd go round the block to get up to 35 but just wanted to get in and dry.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Chapeau to you guys that ventured out!

jonathanw

Chorlton and the Wheelies
I love the winds, makes riding no hands a bit more interesting lol xx(

Just got back from 26miles, 650m ascent, but the last 8 miles were heading SW into fearsome headwind taking me down to 8-9mph. Took my heavy commuter for the extra exercise as weather rubbish. I certainly have a sore back after the had graft into the wind. At least it wasn't snowing like it did yesterday, but so mild today the snow is al but gone

Just got back from 26miles, 650m ascent, but the last 8 miles were heading SW into fearsome headwind taking me down to 8-9mph. Took my heavy commuter for the extra exercise as weather rubbish. I certainly have a sore back after the had graft into the wind. At least it wasn't snowing like it did yesterday, but so mild today the snow is al but gone
Respect, I'm in the relatively mild Fife and I gave today a miss.

jonathanw

Chorlton and the Wheelies
Respect, I'm in the relatively mild Fife and I gave today a miss.

Unfortunately gave yesterday a miss (although tempted, even in the snow/slush) so by today was going stir crazy and had to get out. Mild, but the wind was brutal. Then had to spend an hour cleaning the mud and other farmyard material (that is all over the Black Isle roads) off the bike and cleaning the chain. The joys of having a white touring/commuter bikexx(

Clearly the bike featured in my avatar was never going to hit the tarmac today

2wd

Canyon Aeroad CF 7.0 Di2
I aint risking it

Just been out in the garden and one of the shed doors has blown off :eek:

G-Zero

Über Member
I don't have a choice at the moment, I have to commute no matter what the weather.

I just take extra care when the wind's strong and with commuting through country lanes I can usually hear the extra strong gusts coming through the trees, or see the effects approaching from across the fields. Probably a bit harder to spot in urban environments.

I cycled home in to the headwind remnants of Hurricane Katcha that crossed the Atlantic a few weeks ago and in places I was virtually at a standstill, standing up on the pedals !

Riding for pleasure is a bit different in bad weather though, for instance, when I rode the 5 miles home from the LBS yesterday in the wind, it was via the most direct route and not the planned 20 mile ride I had in mind.

Top Bottom