eek! too windy to cycle?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Miffy

Über Member
This sounds a bit daft now i'm typing it, but seriously, is it ever too windy to cycle safely? not talking hurricane force winds but took the bikes for a little jaunt around the seafront yesterday in pretty windy conditions, was going down quite a steep hill (by caswell bay in south wales if anyone knows it!) when I felt the front wheel really getting buffeted about. Now I know this happens sometimes when driving and it can be a little unnerving then, but I was a bit freaked out that I may lose control a bit and drift into the path of an overtaking car :sad: Never had this happen before.. Is it just me being silly or is it honestly something that could cause problems?

It can be too windy, but how windy is down to the individual unless its something like cycling on the Forth Road Bridge. I'm still undecided if tomorrow is too windy or not.

edindave

Über Member
When it gets very windy I'll go out alone as opposed to the club run, but when it's forecasting >50mph gusts I think it's time to stay indoors!

Blue

Legendary Member
Indeed it can be too windy. In particular, take care when passing gaps in walls, hedges etc as you can get a violent side-swipe. I usually take to the turbo if too windy, and will be doing that tomorrow as we have a severe weather warning from the Met office for my area.

Be careful, you aren't trying to kill youself.

OP
OP
M

Miffy

Über Member
Think it was one of those days where you get really strong gusts coming off the coast. The surfers were enjoying it at least! I'm pretty light but never been knocked sideways before! Maybe go a bit slower next time. Never thought i'd be happier about the ride up that hill that the ride down!

There have been extremely strong winds here and most of the few cyclists I've seen have been walking their bikes. Not so much headwinds, but swirling winds, which are very difficult to predict and impossible to ride in when they hit you hard from the side.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Not only could you get knocked off but you could get blown into the path of another road user.

On the morning the TOB Lancashire stage was cancelled I set out from home to watch it in Longridge, got 50 yards up my street, shook my head, turned round and logged on to find that it was cancelled.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I've abandoned my morning 35 miler. I woke up, saw the tips of the neighbours' leylandii swaying violently, and decided against it. I think I'll get myself a turbo trainer...

Nearly there

Veteran
Day off for me today checked the forecast last night so didnt bother planning a ride 80 mph gusts expected up norf today ive ridden in 50 mph gusts before and its just nuts it makes handling of the bike very hard

soulful dog

Veteran
I'm still undecided if tomorrow is too windy or not.
Yes, it is too windy!

Mind you, I'm a wimp when it comes to the wind, I don't like going out in anything above 30mph...

Yesterday, after the latest met office forecast had dropped the gusts from 45mph+ to 35mph, I decided that I'd use the bike to go to the swimming. I should have known to check another forecast first! After having to stand up on the pedals at times pulling away from traffic lights (I felt uncomfortable struggling into the wind with cars at my back) and having to work really hard going down a slight but long hill, I almost gave up and went back for the car (only the fact I was soaked to the skin and the thought of a warm swimming pool kept me going!).

My brother has started commuting by bike this year and has got to the stage where he gets tetchy if he can't take his bike. He had to admit defeat the other night and phone his wife to pick him up less than halfway into his 13 mile commute home.

Unfortunately, the forecast for the next week barely has a day when the gusts are going to be less than 40mph+. :sad:

Hip Priest

Veteran
Does anyone else get that feeling of guilt when they don't go out. It's a measure of how cycling has changed me, I guess. I used to do zero exercise. In the last seven days I've ridden 75 miles and had an hour of football, and yet I feel guilty for staying off the bike today.

Nearly there

Veteran
Does anyone else get that feeling of guilt when they don't go out. It's a measure of how cycling has changed me, I guess. I used to do zero exercise. In the last seven days I've ridden 75 miles and had an hour of football, and yet I feel guilty for staying off the bike today.
Yes I do Ive only done 60 miles this week I average 100 Ill feel guilty tucking in to my weekly takeaway tonight :rolleyes:

Hip Priest

Veteran
Reassure yourself that the vast majority of Britons get no exercise and probably have more than one takeaway a week.

Top Bottom