eek! too windy to cycle?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Col5632

Guru
Well central belt of scotland has an amber warning again today, hopefully be able to cycle home this time, 60mph winds could be fun though :bravo:

the dragster

This sounds a bit daft now i'm typing it, but seriously, is it ever too windy to cycle safely? not talking hurricane force winds but took the bikes for a little jaunt around the seafront yesterday in pretty windy conditions, was going down quite a steep hill (by caswell bay in south wales if anyone knows it!) when I felt the front wheel really getting buffeted about. Now I know this happens sometimes when driving and it can be a little unnerving then, but I was a bit freaked out that I may lose control a bit and drift into the path of an overtaking car :sad: Never had this happen before.. Is it just me being silly or is it honestly something that could cause problems?

try this site for weather. Temperature Observation Map - Britain

soulful dog

Veteran
Yep, a lift is probably a good idea. It wasn't much fun walking around in that weather in Glasgow this afternoon, never mind trying to cycle in it! If the wind doesn't blow you into next week, you're likely to drown in the rain/sleet/hailstones. :laugh:

Col5632

Guru
Yep, a lift is probably a good idea. It wasn't much fun walking around in that weather in Glasgow this afternoon, never mind trying to cycle in it! If the wind doesn't blow you into next week, you're likely to drown in the rain/sleet/hailstones. :laugh:

Just sucks that its two days in the last week ive not been able to cycle home, never got out at the weekend due to snow aswell :cold:

Chris-H

Über Member
I copped the wind big time today,had to ride with our cargo trailer to collect a bike we have been given(i fit a car roof mounted cycle carrier to the trailer) about 5 miles each way,most of the route was on our cycle path(no' 51) with some very open fields,the ride there was fantastic but coming back....omg the strongest headwind i've encountered for a long while,had to push the bike a couple of times and the wind was so strong it got under the trailer and was lifting the back wheel of my bike a good 6 inches off the ground,had to have one hand on the seat to keep it down !! was ok with my fat arse on the saddle though so rode as much as possible ^_^

Carol C

Does anyone else get that feeling of guilt when they don't go out. It's a measure of how cycling has changed me, I guess. I used to do zero exercise. In the last seven days I've ridden 75 miles and had an hour of football, and yet I feel guilty for staying off the bike today.
I don't feel guilty, but I do feel that I have missed out if I don't get out on the bike. The ride out was very tough this afternoon, but coming back, the wind was behind me, so I had no pedalling to do at times. ^_^

Top Bottom