eek! too windy to cycle?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Fortunately a large chunk of my new commute is urban, so lots of shielding from the direct wind, although the final 3 miles was straight into it and my average speed for that chunk drpped from 17 to 11mph :sad:
Side gusts were shocking!

Monkspeed

Very windy out there today, nearly got blown off a couple of times, and it makes it twice as hard to pedal in to the head wind :sad:

Fine for me today, but just checked for tomorrow ...

To work: 17mph gusting 32mph behind me .... wheeeee!

To home: 39mph gusting 74mph crosswind ... gulp!

Hip Priest

Veteran
I'm a bit apprehensive about the winds tomorrow. But hey, it's only 4.5 miles. I can dismount and walk if it gets unsafe.

Col5632

Guru
With gust up to 77mph here tomorrow, I think it'll be too windy to cycle, it was only 37mph gust today when I was out but it felt like more!

Have you managed to cycle today? Im not looking forward to my cycle home

byegad

Legendary Member
I found 20mph plus with gusts was too dangerous for the busy A roads I need to use to get to the lanes I love. Too much chance of being blown into the close passing moton. Now I ride a recumbent trike I view 40mph with gusts as douable. Today when we are expecting 70-80mph I'm staying indoors.

Col5632

Guru
I found 20mph plus with gusts was too dangerous for the busy A roads I need to use to get to the lanes I love. Too much chance of being blown into the close passing moton. Now I ride a recumbent trike I view 40mph with gusts as douable. Today when we are expecting 70-80mph I'm staying indoors.

I wont be cycling anywhere near any roads today :ohmy:

Brandane

Legendary Member
It would be foolhardy to venture out on a bike on public roads around here (Ayrshire) today. We have had utterly filthy weather for most of this year (NO summer) and I can only hope that 2012 is a huge improvement. Cycling is NOT enjoyable IMHO when you are getting wet, cold, or blown all over the road. Today it would be all three factors.

I refused an HGV driving shift from the agency for tonight. I wouldn't even take my car out in this, never mind an artic with a curtain sided trailer. Just asking for it to get blown over unless it has a lot of heavy freight on board. Accident risk v. financial gain? No contest; I'll sit at home. Even if it means the agency take the huff and don't offer me any more shifts.

2wd

Canyon Aeroad CF 7.0 Di2
I was just in sat in the conservatory and was serioulsy worried that the roof panels were going to disappear into next week.:eek:

I live on a hill overlooking the whole of Manchester and Cheshire, and whilst the views are fantastic, the short wind storm we have just had has to be one of the worst I've seen in 20 years :sad:

Top Bottom