eek! too windy to cycle?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

soulful dog

Veteran
Kudos to all those who go out for rides when it's windy - I just can't do it though, completely takes the fun out of it for me! I went out today for my 10-mile round trip and it wasn't TOO bad, but if I hadn't had somewhere to go, I wouldn't have bothered.

Forecast tomorrow is for very heavy rain, with gusts of 40-50mph. So I'll be taking my car instead. Oh well, at least thanks to today's outing I made it to the 150 miles for the month. A piddling amount to the commuters, but still better than nothing!

I don't think its too windy tonight, anyway its in the right direction but its a too greasy for up and down the New Row 10 or 11 times, the turbo for me maybe :-(

Thompson

The wind stopped me going out on Sunday, it was 27mph due to get much worse. I was tempted to try it but the rest of the group cancelled...

albion

Guru
I chose my route to ensure it was more side than headwind yesterday. It turned out that the thick 'diving suit like' Aldi winter bike jacket on top of a merino base layer is perfect for this weather though quite possibly too boil in the bag for any other sort.

I chose my route to ensure it was more side than headwind yesterday. It turned out that the thick 'diving suit like' Aldi winter bike jacket on top of a merino base layer is perfect for this weather though quite possibly too boil in the bag for any other sort.
Depends on the winds, but I sometimes find its better to go straight into a headwind and get blown home :becool: , its more predictable than sideways gusts.

jonathanw

Chorlton and the Wheelies
I don't think its too windy tonight, anyway its in the right direction but its a too greasy for up and down the New Row 10 or 11 times, the turbo for me maybe :-(

I use Garmin connect too

I especially like the saw tooth shape of the elevation graph. I rarely do hill reps like that, so the Garmin data looks striking

^_^

2wd

Canyon Aeroad CF 7.0 Di2
Just been out for an 8 miler

Winds gusting and really caught me by surprise when the side wind hits the front wheel

One one straight road I had a tail wind then a head wind :blink:

But with my new Schwalbe Ultremo ZXs on, I was like superman on wheels :tongue:

Arsen Gere

Über Member
I look at the BBC weather every night and look for winds of 20mph or more. It is an average speed so gusts are going to be greater than 20. If it's 20 or more I don't go out at that time of the day. So if it's a work day I won't go on the bike if the morning or evening are over 20.
So forecasts today were around 26 and I ran to work. You get blown around less. On busy roads it's not worth the risk. I pass a block of flats which seem to whip the winds up and you get hit suddenly, a section on a bridge over a dual carriageway can be risky with no room to escape.
So I hope that is a useful guide.

Nearly there

Veteran
Ok this is gettin silly now ,got in from work at 6 this morning clear skies so I was optimistic about a ride later on so set my alarm for 11:30 got up looked out wind n rain and bloody cold GGGRRR so ive bought some thermal bib tights online ;-)

albion

Guru
Forecast said 0.1mm about 1pm.

And I got that 0.1mm right at 1pm. Impressive stuff from these forecasters.
They are incredibly exact on the day.

Gog

Regular
Too windy for me today. Confirmed by the fact that when driving out of my estate I had to stop twice to move wheelie bins out of the way.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Top Bottom