eek! too windy to cycle?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

soulful dog

Veteran
Still undecided if im cycling home, can always get a lift if need be but ill see how things are at 5.30
Really don't bother even considering it.

I work outside and we were told to go home at 12pm today. According to the BBC news pages, not long after that police forces in Dumfries and Galloway, Central Scotland, Lothian and Borders and Strathclyde have all said DO NOT travel. All the major bridges are closed, in Glasgow no double decker buses are running. Train operator East Coast has advised customers not to travel north of Edinburgh for the remainder of the today.

I've just been out with the dog, and was almost blown of my feet twice. My dog was desperate to get back in the house! I've never felt winds like that in the city. Far worse than back in May when there were a lot of trees down.

On the bike today. Side winds killed my forward speed from about 23mph to around 15 this morning and was almost flat over the bars. The wind has picked up since then. Might have to vary my route to go through an industrial estate (big warehouses to block the wind and a lot less traffic) and cut my commute short if too risky (i.e. do some of it on train). Will just see how it goes. Quite gusty here so hard to guage as it looks calm-ish here at the moment but 5 mins ago it blew over a steel fence.

albion

Guru
Extremely gusty in Newcastle yet the strong winds arrive in 4 hours!

Svendo

Guru
Despite my usual foolhardiness bravery, decided to borrow the car and drive to work, winds of 35-55mph when I'm on my way home at 10pm are too much even for me. Been in 20mph+ winds a couple of times and it's no fun being blown across the road with no warning.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Extremely cold and windy in Newcastle, and I've just been out playing 5-a-side in it. The commute was just as bad. It's a long shot, but if the two cyclists who stopped to help me when my chained got jammed are on here, I'd like to say thank you!

potsy

Rambler
Extremely windy on the way home today, did the first 3 miles on road and the other 7 offroad.
Felt much safer being away from the traffic despite the chance of getting blown into the river :ohmy:
Looks like it's a bit calmer tomorrow, hopefully anyway.
Stay safe everyone.

It's good resistance training on the fixed gear bike........
I have to use the bike as I don't have a car park pass for work

Nearly there

Veteran
Managed a ride out today first time in a fortnight god how Ive missed it decided on a regular route even "Danced"up some hills that i usually stay seated on,only draw back my feet were freezing by time i got home.

Top Bottom