Eiffel Tower......anyone been up in recent times?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Last time up the Eiffel Tower was 2010 after this…

DSC02179.JPG

Brandane

Legendary Member
Mr. Eiffel used to entertain his girlfriends in a bedroom near the top.

I hope it had curtains, to stop people getting an eyeful. :okay:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've walked half way and got the lift to the top a couple of times, but it's years since I was in Paris, other than changing trains. No memory of the cost. I remember thinking that it was better to look at it from afar (lit up) than to go up it and look out.
All I remember was that the staff were pretty bossy and rude,
Hey, that's Paree. If they were only "pretty" rude, rather than "extremely" they were slacking. :smile:

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Hey, that's Paree. If they were only "pretty" rude, rather than "extremely" they were slacking. :smile:

It's funny, we'd heard all about rude Parisian waiters but we never encountered any. They were all great. We were warned about New Yorkers too but found them to be helpful, kind and witty.

Mind you, the rudest Maitre'D we ever encountered was French but that was in Santander. He was the only one on duty in a hotel restaurant full of rich prats on a rally in their Bentleys and Ferraris. It really was like Fawlty Towers as he buzzed around throwing food on the tables but he peaked when a group arrived without a booking. Despite there being plenty of tables free he raised a hand in their faces and said, "Non! I am full!". When they politely tried to suggest that they just wanted to join their friends he turned on his heel and stomped off saying "Non, I am full and I alone decide when I am full" :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Honestly, my wife and I just stayed for the show ^_^

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It's funny, we'd heard all about rude Parisian waiters but we never encountered any. They were all great. We were warned about New Yorkers too but found them to be helpful, kind and witty.

Actually, rude Parisian stereotypes aside I found that a lot of people in service industry in Paris speak good English and don't have time to waste listening to me butchering their language. Whereas in rural France English speaking is less common and time less pressing so they will work with you to communicate.

I lived in New York for a couple of years in the 80s. Great memories.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
We went to the top platform in 1983.
Don't remember having to pay.
The view from the top is amazing.

About the same year for us.....we may have been a couple of years later.
Nearby is the Montparnasse Tower which was/is the tallest "building" in Paris. That was free to go to the top and that was by a super high speed lift, a great experience.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
About the same year for us.....we may have been a couple of years later.
Nearby is the Montparnasse Tower which was/is the tallest "building" in Paris. That was free to go to the top and that was by a super high speed lift, a great experience.

As stated in Wikipedia. It is said that the tower's observation deck enjoys the most beautiful view in all of Paris because it is the only place from which the tower cannot be seen.

Alex321

Veteran
I haven't been up to the top of Blackpool tower since the mid 1970's. I've often fancied going up again, but the last time I looked you have to pay to go into the whole 'leisure complex' and then pay extra to get the lift up to the top of the tower. I want to go up the tower, but have no interest in the ballroom, cafes, amusement arcade etc. I was going to also say the little zoo in there, but I think and hope that they closed it down many years ago.

Keeping animals in small cages without natural daylight was quite cruel i'd say!🧐

1972 the menagerie was closed, when Blackpool Zoo opened. But the Aquarium part stayed until 2010.

Top Bottom