Election bumf

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What is the point in the election lampost poster things that each party put up around about elections time? You know the sort, it simply says Labour, or Conservative, Lib Dem etc. That's it. No message, except maybe the word, 'VOTE'.

Do people look at this bumf and say, hmm, look, labour have put there bumf higher up on the lampost than the Tories. That shows they aim higher, I'll vote for them! :biggrin:

Is this not the biggest waste of money/resources/time/paper ever? Or is that politics in general I am talking about....:biggrin:

Bad Company

The Next Stig !
I was thinking the very same to work as I passed dozens of such posters on my way to work this morning.:tongue:

Arch

Married to Night Train
I fear there are a lot of the electorate who take so little interest that they barely know the names of the parties - I suppose it's to prod them into voting, and having a name in their mind to vote for....

killiekosmos

Veteran
I wonder if anyone has done any research on this? Many voters will have decided who to vote for anyway (always vote for ...). Others may study informtion and decide. Neither will by influenced by the signs on lamp-posts.

Maybe Arch has a point - getting (thick) voters to remember a name.

(I hope my microphone was off when I called the voters thick!)

Arch

Married to Night Train
I think a lot of advertising relies on drumming a brand name into people's heads. This is just the same. Some of us make informed choices, or vote/buy with our hearts, others just buy the brand they see most, because that must be best right?.....

theclaud

Openly Marxist
It's a badge, innit? If I cycle round Gower lately (Labour since 1906, but no thanks to the people who own most of the land), I see blue badges on sticks everywhere. Luckily the poles, detached from their tiresome boards, can be used to make excellent fruit cages for the allotment...

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I've yet to see a Tory poster up in a house window - they must be ashamed of their beliefs.
On a 45 mile cycle yeaterday around the leafy lanes of Sussex I passed through the constituencies of Nichloas Soames and Francis Maude; 2 of the more easily disliked Cons and there was heavy blue poster representation out in the sticks.

philipbh

Spectral Cyclist
theclaud said:
Luckily the poles, detached from their tiresome boards, can be used to make excellent fruit cages for the allotment...

Nice idea for some neighbourly recycling, post election :tongue:

(Some houses down our street have 3 in the front garden!)

Same here, blue signs on sticks wherever there's agricultural land. Labour and Lib Dem are in windows and gardens. Very few Labour, though it's a slim majority of a thousand last time. At least two independents, who judging by their chubby comfortable looks won't get my vote and why are the Lib Dem one's road safety orange.

Why are farmers traditionally Conservatives then?

jay clock

Massive member
Winchester.... have a guess how many Labour posters seen? One very small one in the living room window of the Labour candidate. In town a heavy dominance of LD stuff, out of town more Conservative. The Cons were a few thousand behind at the least election, but Mark Oaten decided that a propensity for sex with rent boys soiling themselves in football kit was a good reason to hand the baton to someone else. So it could be a tight race.

jay clock said:
Winchester.... have a guess how many Labour posters seen? One very small one in the living room window of the Labour candidate. In town a heavy dominance of LD stuff, out of town more Conservative. The Cons were a few thousand behind at the least election, but Mark Oaten decided that a propensity for sex with rent boys soiling themselves in football kit was a good reason to hand the baton to someone else. So it could be a tight race.

Luckily you didn't miss-spell that last word.

darkstar

If you drive past my parents house you will see one of those large Torie signs on sticks outisde the main gates, it's not be vandalised once, very suprised tbh.

Top Bottom