Electric bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Savannah

I've got one and love it. I only got it to keep up my super-fit husband who is a keen mountain biker. He loved mine so much he kept taking it out to use during the day to get around locally so I've had to buy another... They are pedal assisted and won't cycle for you so you do get exercise whilst arriving in a smart outfit without needing a shower. I think they are the transport of tomorrow and suggest anyone with any doubts should try one.

E-Bygum

Things have moved on in the E-bike world at quite a pace and in the very near future there are more huge changes as soon as they make the technology more affordable but that is down to how many people use the electric bikes as supply and demand will bring the change.Until then the new lightweight cycles at a price more realistic to everyones pockets have a look at the range here let me have your thoughts http://futurecycling.webs.com/ having used the 36v sport all I can say is WOW! best of both worlds my dodgy nee after 20 miles loves it as much as me

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Ridden a few over the years, including a Sinclair Zike when they came out.
They're quite good fun. I'd probably not have one myself, but that's just me.
Better than ruddy 2-stroke scooters anyday.

E-Bygum

I had a powabyke few years ago second hand it had a heavy wheel and the lead acid battery really did test your strength taking it on and off, if the battery went flat basically you were scuppered but the modern bikes have a 2.5kg battery and combined weight same as a traditional steel bike so when you ride as a tradition cycle it is light but you have the power as and when needed especially on a return leg after a full day out riding. I likened it to having someone come up behind you and push it really is fun and a good workout.We have had 2 bad summers and I am gambling on a long dry summer, me and mine are getting the ferry across to france cycling through Brittany back to portsmouth so looking forward to the electric bike trip.

Woz!

TheDoctor said:
Better than ruddy 2-stroke scooters anyday.

Hey, you leave my Vespa PX alone!
Seriously though, from an environmental point of view how damaging are the batteries in these electric bikes? If they REALLY take off are we going to rue the day when it comes to disposing of the batteries?

E-Bygum

Thats a good question we as users have to rely on the powers that be to monitor these things I guess but reading the bumf it sounds good or at least compared to disposable nappies! Where does it end for exmaple if you dispose of the battery off a bicycle the only toxic part how does it compare with a srap car? all it takes is a huge demand then someone is going to get a ureka moment I am sure and as we speak I read there is a self generating Electric hub in use in the states but it is costly at the moment but it will be here soon mark my words it is changing very fast can anyone remember pre windows 95'...look where we are today a decade saw huge unimaginable changes and it will be the same for transport it has to be there is just not enough oil to go around and that is a fact!

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Woz! said:
Hey, you leave my Vespa PX alone!
Seriously though, from an environmental point of view how damaging are the batteries in these electric bikes? If they REALLY take off are we going to rue the day when it comes to disposing of the batteries?

As with all electrical goods these are covered by WEEE, more of an issue is the extra electricity need to run these bikes. There is a limit to the amount of carbon free electricity which is being generated, if we are ever going to achieve sustainable levels of energy use, then we need to cut out unnecessary use of electricity, such as electric bikes for people to lazy to pedal... My computer use is a far more important use of electricity;)

ebiker

Electric assisted bikes

I've just come across this website tonight and noticed some of you showing an interest in electric bikes.
I started cycling 5 years ago because I got fed-up with sitting in the car in traffic jams. My commute is a return journey of 13 miles and I found it was almost the same time to cycle to work and avoid the jams. However I found manual cycling hard work, especially on the hilly bits or into the wind. About 3 years ago I noticed an electric bike in a cycle shop and became interested. I was able to get all my questions answered on Pedelecs.uk forum and decided to buy one. It made a huge difference to my journey. No more struggling up the hills or arriving at work soaked in sweat. It allowed me to continue my cycling where I would otherwise have had to pack it in.
I have recently bought a better ebike on the 'Cycle to Work' Scheme and I am able to continue enjoying my cycling for a few more years yet. The new bike is lighter, looks very much like an ordinary bike - not quirky, and it is brilliant at climbing the hills, I often pass other manual cyclists half my age (I'm 62 this year), and they almost fall off their bike in surprise.
Yes the bikes do use electricity but they are better for the planet than the motor car. Anyone who is struggling with their cycling should seriously consider moving on to an ebike. They are a great way to extend your cycling enjoyment.

E-Bygum

Good to hear the E-bikes are making an impact here in the uk, such is the demand for the bike in china it has been banned in some places.The government has to get it's finger out on this one we need proper cycling lanes Manchester is one of the better places in the north but compared to London we are still cave men in the north when it comes to new concepts.

Downward

Guru
FBOAB said:
Tempting that. Anything to get me up windmill hill without arriving in a wet flabby mess!

It's not that bad if you get some good speed downhill past the pub.
Luckily I only have to go 1/4 of the way up to get home.

Top Bottom