Electric bikes again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Danny

Legendary Member
Following on from the thread a few months ago, can someone explain whether there are electric bikes on the market which can actually take over all the pedalling when required.

I have spoken to two LBSs who say they are only allowed to sell electric bikes which are power assisted, and that a bike that could take over all the pedalling would be classified as a moped.

Is what they are telling me correct, or am I just getting a line because they don't happen to stock the kind of bike I am looking for? ;)

OP
OP
Danny

Danny

Legendary Member
Following on from the thread a few months ago, can someone explain whether there are electric bikes on the market which can actually take over all the pedalling when required.

I have spoken to two LBSs who say they are only allowed to sell electric bikes which are power assisted, and that a bike that could take over all the pedalling would be classified as a moped.

Is what they are telling me correct, or am I just getting a line because they don't happen to stock the kind of bike I am looking for? ;)

Its a line. Electrickery bikes are available in two types, theres yer common or garden 'electric bike' and then theres 'pedelecs'.

Pedelecs generally drive through the bikes transmission and have a pedal pressure or chain tension sensor linked to the circuitry. The motor only works if youre pedaling.

Electric bikes have a motor which is not linked to the bikes transmission. They usually have a twist grip style throttle.

Each type is subject to different EU legislation. I dont know what the ins and outs of the law are, your best source of info on the subject is the electric bike comparison pages on A to B Magazines excellent website.

Its a line. Electrickery bikes are available in two types, theres yer common or garden 'electric bike' and then theres 'pedelecs'.

Pedelecs generally drive through the bikes transmission and have a pedal pressure or chain tension sensor linked to the circuitry. The motor only works if youre pedaling.

Electric bikes have a motor which is not linked to the bikes transmission. They usually have a twist grip style throttle.

Each type is subject to different EU legislation. I dont know what the ins and outs of the law are, your best source of info on the subject is the electric bike comparison pages on A to B Magazines excellent website.

RedBike

The bike must have pedals and be limited to a maximum powered speed of 15mph; but as far as I know there's no legal requirement for you to have to pedal.

RedBike

The bike must have pedals and be limited to a maximum powered speed of 15mph; but as far as I know there's no legal requirement for you to have to pedal.

davidwalton

Dannyg said:

See http://www.kinetics-online.co.uk/html/uk_law.shtml

davidwalton

Dannyg said:

See http://www.kinetics-online.co.uk/html/uk_law.shtml

Tynan

Veteran
suspect as soon as it's powered, you're looking at signals and so on

like those mobility carts for the old people

Tynan

Veteran

Arch

Married to Night Train
Tynan said:

Don't think so. An electric bike depends on the same signals as a pedalled bike - arm signals. And not all mobility carts have indicators, only the really lethal 10 tonne ones...

Arch

Married to Night Train
Tynan said:

Don't think so. An electric bike depends on the same signals as a pedalled bike - arm signals. And not all mobility carts have indicators, only the really lethal 10 tonne ones...

Top Bottom