Electric bikes on trails

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnblack

Über Member
If someones moving faster then me, then I'll stay right and let them pass as long as I'm not putting myself in the ditch or hedge, I'd rather hear a call from behind, it's far more courteous than creeping up in stealth mode........

....and that's how I act when it's the other way round, let them know I'm there but leave a bit of a gap and pass when I can. It shouldn't be a big deal. I'm not even sure that the bike being electric or not comes in to it.

iluvmybike

Über Member
I don't have an ebike and still there are always plenty faster than me on descents on all kinds of bikes! Its no big deal - when it is safe for me to do so I pull over. The rider behind should always give the rider in front plenty of space and be aware their skillset may not be as good as theirs and not bully them out of their way of course. One answer is to forget the trail centres and go and ride natural trails where there are fewer riders and perhaps better for honing skills as you need to be aware of reading the trail ahead and adapting. I think a lot can go fast at trail centres cos they have 'learned' that particular trail riding it over and over again. I'd never go to a trail centre at a weekend or bank holiday I must admit...

Brads

Fantastic tech that gets folk out cycling that wouldn't otherwise. I would never criticise anyone using one, lots of younger folk getting into them to maximise their downhill time.

I've just bust a lung today chasing Mrs B on her turbo Levo for 40k so they can even be a training tool for roadies lol.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've only come across 1 idiot, and that was on the Marin/Gwydir, and he hissed a binch of us off on a climb as he cut a few of us up. A certain crazy person, then chased after him and cruised past the rider uphill.

I ride with a bloke regular and that helps get him out with us normal bikers - he couldn't keep up otherwise as he's quite an old blke with some health issues.

I only have problems with those Chinese electric MX type bikes that can do 40 mph. Shouldn't be on trails.

I think there is a place for all cycling, ebikes included.
Like having a bad dog, bad behaviour is more a fault of the owner than the dog. The same applies to ebikes.
Stick an idiot on one and you've still got an idiot.
I am approaching the time when I will need some help from a motor. I hope it won't change how I ride just because it's not my legs doing all the work.
I have no problem with ebikes but I do with some who ride them.
Often they've not been on a bike for years and even at 15 mpg they are often going too fast for the conditions due to lack of experience.

Lets just face it, we're just a hated minority.

We can't even agree amongst ourselves.

I've also been riding motorcycles for almost 40yrs so got no chance!

Anyone remember sign's outside pubs saying 'Motorcyclists by appointment only'.

Lets just face it, we're just a hated minority.

We can't even agree amongst ourselves.

I've also been riding motorcycles for almost 40yrs so got no chance!

Anyone remember sign's outside pubs saying 'Motorcyclists by appointment only'.
I remember ‘Motorcyclists not welcome’ but never by appointment...:laugh:
I dont find I have any problems with riding motorbikes these days

Jody

Stubborn git
Am I......then explain why he’s only moaning about ebikes? are you telling me that this guy is so good in his mtb, that he’s never been passed by other bikes on the trail???

but he chose to come on here and moan about ebikes passing him.......why???

then the last sentence “ what’s wrong with good old pedal power“

I see his point though. He was out with his son who sounds relatively new to MTB and I don't get the impression he's trying to be better than them. It's more the pressure to move out of the way due to the higher speed differential, but moving out of the way isn't easy there as the majority of it is single track and not wide enough for two bikes to pass. Faster riders get impatient and push through, so the only option is to stop.

Maybe it way just the frequency of them on that particular ride.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Most are probably illegal. Proving that is much more than how big the motor looks and how fast they 'look' like they're going. Adding to that they likelihood of the police being interested in chasing them around trails, it seems unlikely anybody is going to do anything about it. Saying that though despite your understandable frustration, ebike's serve a great purpose for a variety of use cases.

Mod edit - Quote removed.

I think when cycling anywhere with young children as the OP was, your opinion differs slightly as you become more protective. I have no issue with Chain gangs flying at high speed along the Lune Cycle Path but on a weekend when I have my kids it can feel like double the speed when they fly past and one nasty accident if they collide with children. Maybe the OP was a little more sensitive to the issue because he was with his son and it was predominantly ebikes passing him that day

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom